Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been away from hobby for a few years to find a new edition of warhammer whats changed from the last? and do many stick to the old version 5th i think but im not sure

·
Registered
42 Posts
Well, 7th edition has been out since September of 2006, so that is the rule set currently in use. 5th/6th edition rules are both outdated and not in use. A fair amount of things has changed, so it would be in your best interest to either pickup the hardcover rule book, or pick up Battle for Skull Pass, which comes with a softcover rule book.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
to be fair, not much has changed, its the most consistent of the rulesets. but enough has changed that you should pick up the book.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
There have also recently been new army books for Orcs, Empire (edit: I'd forgotten that one) and High Elves, as well as Wood Elves, Dwarves and Ogres before that (can't think of any more).

So depending on what you play, and how long you've been away, some armies may have changed more than others.

As I recall, the only 'thing' that was definitively lost in 7th ed was some Brettonian magic item; but there have been enough changes to the general way things work that I'd advise you to get the new book.

Don't know of anyone still playing 5th ed. Did you mean 6th ed? Put out a call for players in your area, that's my advice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There have also recently been new army books for Orcs, Empire (edit: I'd forgotten that one) and High Elves, as well as Wood Elves, Dwarves and Ogres before that (can't think of any more).

So depending on what you play, and how long you've been away, some armies may have changed more than others.

As I recall, the only 'thing' that was definitively lost in 7th ed was some Brettonian magic item; but there have been enough changes to the general way things work that I'd advise you to get the new book.

Don't know of anyone still playing 5th ed. Did you mean 6th ed? Put out a call for players in your area, that's my advice.

The Wood Elves and Ogres army books were both part of 6th edition.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Been away from hobby for a few years to find a new edition of warhammer whats changed from the last? and do many stick to the old version 5th i think but im not sure
From 5th? A huge amount. From 6th? Not as much.

Not many stick to the old editions. Less so than in 40K where there's still a lot of 2nd ed. players. The new Fantasy editions are much more clearly improvements.

From 5th we have a dramatically different magic phase (even from 6th the mechanics and spells have changed), different modes of army selection (there are now 'slots' for Characters, Core, Special and Rare choices rather than a percentage available to choose Characters, Regiments, Monsters, War Machines, etc.).

Allies can only be Dogs of War or Ogres now. You can no longer spend 25% on other army lists. Many old units are gone (e.g. Imperial Dwarves, Halflings), and many new units have been added. Magic Items are now based on a maximum points limit rather than a maximum number of different items.

Herohammer has been toned down somewhat since 5th as well. I've really only touched on the changes. It's very much worthwhile picking up a 7th ed. rulebook and the relevant army books.

If none of this makes sense, you were probably playing 6th and not 5th. :)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
The Wood Elves and Ogres army books were both part of 6th edition.
As were the Dwarves, I think.

My point was that if the OP gave up playing during 6th ed, before the Ogres. Dwarves, or Wood Elves army books came out, those lists would have changed from when they were playing, apart from changes from the introduction of 7th ed.

Hence "... depending on what you play, and how long you've been away... " - eg "if you play Wood Elves, and have been away since before the Wood Elves Army Book... ", do you see?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts