Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm starting a Black Legion army, and this is what I've come up with right out of a month of work picking eBay apart for deals. Mind you not the amount of Nurgle, there will be other gods included!

--------------------
HQ
--------------------
Chaos Lord Aravas Gervahrt
Combi-melta, Mark of Nurgle, Power Fist

--------------------
Elites
--------------------
Dreadnought
Plasma cannon, Extra armour

Terminators, 3x champions
Reaper Autocannon, Combi-flamer, Power Fist, Combi-melta, Chainfist

--------------------
Troops
--------------------
Plague Marines
2x Plasma gun
Plague Champion: Power weapon, Meltabombs

Chaos Marines
Lascannon, Meltagun, Icon of Nurgle
Aspiring Champion: Power fist, Plasma pistol

Grand total: 1001

I keep checking for good deals, but until I can find another wonderful person who sells pewter Termies and their price equivalents for $20, this is pretty much it. What should I improve?

·
Registered
496 Posts
--------------------
HQ
--------------------
Chaos Lord Aravas Gervahrt
Combi-melta, Mark of Nurgle, Power Fist
Eh.. hes on... its completely up to you how you make your lord, but i personaly would put a Deamon weapon on him

--------------------
Elites
--------------------
Dreadnought
Plasma cannon, Extra armour

Terminators, 3x champions
Reaper Autocannon, Combi-flamer, Power Fist, Combi-melta, Chainfist
Drop both of these in my opinion,

Termis wont stand a shit shot against anything in this point level anyway since they basicly have a 2/3 chance to die to the melta shot (and there will be melta)

Dreads are too unrelible and may kill your own troops, especialy with a Plasma cannon
--------------------
Troops
--------------------
Plague Marines
2x Plasma gun
Plague Champion: Power weapon, Meltabombs

Chaos Marines
Lascannon, Meltagun, Icon of Nurgle
Aspiring Champion: Power fist, Plasma pistol
how many are in these two squads? PM's work best in lots of 7, also Powerfist on the Champ imo

Nilla Chaos marines should drop the Mark of nurgle or be changed to Plague marines
Grand total: 1001
as for some improvements?

Oblitorators are always good, basicly any form of Cult troops (Thousand sons may be a little expencive points wise)

at the end of the day its completely up to you of corse, but i can tell you right now, theres a good chance that Dread will end up killing all of your own guys XD (if you roll a 1 he will turn to face your guys and Pop 2 Plasma cannon shots at them)

Happy hunting :3

·
Great Unclean One
2,611 Posts
posting from work

Had a bit of a play with the Codex and came up with this 1,000-point Black Legion list; I deliberately kept everything vanilla for fluff reasons.

HQ
• Chaos Lord
- Terminator armour, paired lightning claws
130 points

ELITES
• 5 Chosen
- Icon of Chaos Glory, 3 meltaguns
130 points

TROOPS
• 10 Chaos Space Marines
- Aspiring Champion with Icon of Chaos Glory; 2 meltaguns, Rhino
220 points
• 10 Chaos Space Marines - Aspiring Champion with Icon of Chaos Glory; 2 meltaguns, Rhino
220 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• 2 Obliterators
150 points

TOTAL:
1,000 points

And, just for the hell of it, here's a 1,250 point version:

HQ
• Daemon Prince
- Wings, Warptime
155 points

TROOPS
• 10 Chaos Space Marines
220 points
• 10 Chaos Space Marines - Aspiring Champion with Icon of Chaos Glory; 2 meltaguns, Rhino
220 points
• 10 Chaos Space Marines - Aspiring Champion with Icon of Chaos Glory; 2 flamers, Rhino
210 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• 2 Obliterators
150 points
• Vindicator - Daemonic Possession
145 points

TOTAL:
1,250 points

If you're dead set on Plague Marines (and why wouldn't you be? They do rock, after all :)), here's an all-Nurgle 1,000-pointer:

HQ
• Daemon Prince of Nurgle
- Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Warptime
175 points

TROOPS
• 7 Plague Marines
- Champion with power fist, 2 plasma guns, Rhino
266 points
• 7 Plague Marines - Champion with power fist, 2 meltas, Rhino
256 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• 2 Obliterators
150 points

TOTAL:
997 points

HTH

·
Registered
496 Posts
posting from work

Had a bit of a play with the Codex and came up with this 1,000-point Black Legion list; I deliberately kept everything vanilla for fluff reasons.

HQ
• Chaos Lord
- Terminator armour, paired lightning claws
130 points

ELITES
• 5 Chosen
- Icon of Chaos Glory, 3 meltaguns
130 points

TROOPS
• 10 Chaos Space Marines
220 points
220 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• 2 Obliterators
150 points

TOTAL:
1,000 points

And, just for the hell of it, here's a 1,250 point version:

HQ
• Daemon Prince
- Wings, Warptime
155 points

TROOPS
• 10 Chaos Space Marines
220 points
220 points
• 10 Chaos Space Marines - Aspiring Champion with Icon of Chaos Glory; 2 flamers, Rhino
210 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• 2 Obliterators
150 points
• Vindicator - Daemonic Possession
145 points

TOTAL:
1,250 points

If you're dead set on Plague Marines (and why wouldn't you be? They do rock, after all :)), here's an all-Nurgle 1,000-pointer:

HQ
• Daemon Prince of Nurgle
- Mark of Nurgle, Wings, Warptime
175 points

TROOPS
• 7 Plague Marines
- Champion with power fist, 2 plasma guns, Rhino
266 points
• 7 Plague Marines - Champion with power fist, 2 meltas, Rhino
256 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• 2 Obliterators
150 points

TOTAL:
997 points

HTH
:goodpost:
only problem with the first list is theres nowere for the Chaos lord to go XD

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Yeah thats the pain of using Lords in 1k Games... Means you will have to spend points on his Bodyguards, Which is a pain.

Another reason why Khorne win! :D

Kharn goes with 'Zerkers, and every Army that wants to win takes 'Zerkers. So theres a clear colleration between Khorne and Winning. And Kharn being a bad-ass. :D

But my point is try not to use Lord's in 1k Games.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Well, all of the stuff I have on hand at the moment consists of:
The Chaos Lord blister mentioned above
Two packs of 10 CSMs, missing one upgrade sprue (damn those tricky sellers)
One straight pack of old pewter Plague Marines (can't change the weaponry, they're stuck with plasma)
The five termies listed above
The dreadnought (no extra weapons)

The Obliterator Cult is big on my "do want" list, as are a Terminator Lord and a Daemon Prince, but I'm holding out until the new plastic DP comes out unless the metal kit comes with wings.

Where do you guys get all these extra meltaguns, anyway? I've seen the meltagun pack on GW's site, but I've also seen those in person and they look to be IG-sized, not CSM-sized.

Thanks for the help so far, too. This is only a start, though, I'm looking to expand to 1750 once the eBay/Chaos Gods smile upon me.

EDIT: Just realized the DP's coming out this weekend, HOT DAMN. I have something to spend my paycheck on!

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
The plastic DP is out already, it's brilliant. :D I want one, but I'm too busy trying to collect a Khorne Army worth 5k points so i can play Apoc. :D

But yeah, Plastic DP model is brilliant and a must buy!!!

Most of us usually do count as, not WYSIWYG, In casual games you get away with that!!

Otherwise for tourneys, you'll sadly just have to either find CSM meltaguns on ebay ect or Give GW lots of money for like 5 boxes of Marines.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Stock CSM's can easily be converted into PM's (basicly just colouring them)

and In this age Melta is a real requirement due to all the Mech lists

Plasma works fine as well mind you especialy on Plague marines

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
What he was asking is where do people get all the meltaguns for the models.

And about the PM's, It's roughly the same price for 10CSM, as for 7 PM's.

If your going to do PM's you might aswell get the Metal Pm models, they're nicer, come in 7s and don't require conversion work.

But otherwise as flame says you can just paint Stock-CSM green. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
posting from work

I thought the whole deal with Black Legions is they can field all of the cults units and still be fluffy.

In fact, just fielding vanilla chaos could be argued to be un-fluffy for a Black Legion list

·
Registered
496 Posts
I thought the whole deal with Black Legions is they can field all of the cults units and still be fluffy.

In fact, just fielding vanilla chaos could be argued to be un-fluffy for a Black Legion list
feilding full nilla would be fluffy for Alpha leigon though wouldnt it?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I think the Black legion's large enough for the OP's version of the fluff.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Fielding all 'nilla would no where near be UN-fluffy, CSM are still the core of Black Legion, It's just to show Abaddon's power as Warmaster of chaos that you can field all cults. Its not UN-fully not to use cults.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hail,

Abbaddon is responsible for 13 Black Crusades. Any 1500 point game would only represent a small detachment of what the Despoiler could actually field. Playing Black Legion therefore allows the freedom (in fluff terms) to field all variety of cults mixed or just CSMs. The 5th edition chaos codex is more focused on the Black Legion with its army lists than any other Chaos Legion/warband.(similar to the SM Codex is more focused on the Ultramarines).

BFTBG!!

World Eater

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
God, I love eBay!

All right, found a pack of will-be Plague Marines, and did some revamping. Dropped the Dreadnought, he'll have to wait until I hit at least 2000, as will the Lord. Here's what my sleep-deprived mind has now.

HQ:
Daemon Prince, Wings, MoN, Warptime

Elites:
5x Terminators, 3 of which are Champions, Combi-melta, combi-flamer, chainfist, power fist

Troops:
7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma gun, Plague Champion, Power fist
7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma gun, Plague Champion, Power weapon (until I find another fist bit, this will have to do, but I'm working on him!)
8x CSM, Aspiring Champion w/ Plasma pistol + Power fist, Icon of Khorne (Close combat unit)

Heavy Support
10x Havocs, Aspiring Champion w/ Plasma pistol + Power weapon, Lascannon, Heavy bolter, Plasma gun, Meltagun
Defiler w/Havoc launcher

A much grander total: 1502

And a quicker and dirtier conversion to 1750 happens when I get three Obliterators. Field them as one, add meltabombs to one PM set, a Flamer to the CSMs, and an Icon of Chaos Glory to the Havocs. (or just get a Power Fist for the other PMs and zog the bombs and flamer)

I know there's still room for improvement, so let me have it! I'll check back in the morning.

·
Registered
170 Posts
HQ:
Daemon Prince, Wings, MoN, Warptime

Elites:
5x Terminators, 3 of which are Champions, Combi-melta, combi-flamer, chainfist, power fist
which ones are armed with what?
Troops:
7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma gun, Plague Champion, Power fist
7x Plague Marines, 2x Plasma gun, Plague Champion, Power weapon (until I find another fist bit, this will have to do, but I'm working on him!)
8x CSM, Aspiring Champion w/ Plasma pistol + Power fist, Icon of Khorne (Close combat unit)
no rhinos? and why dont you just use khorne berserkers
Heavy Support
10x Havocs, Aspiring Champion w/ Plasma pistol + Power weapon, Lascannon, Heavy bolter, Plasma gun, Meltagun
go with lascannons or meltaguns you need the anti tank more drop the champ and a few marines and maybe get a rhino
Defiler w/Havoc launcher

A much grander total: 1502

1 - 16 of 16 Posts