Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horus Heresy 4: Conquest. Has rules in it for the Questoris Knight list, which is the HH version of the Imperial Knight Detachment. What do people think about it? Would you think it's balanced enough to run in 40k? I know a lot of people think that the marine Legions are overpowered compared to 40k counterparts...

For those that don't know, the Questoris list gives you special 'ranks' for the HQ, Troops, Elites, Fast, and Heavy slots. Each rank costs points, and adds a bonus (or a penalty for a point refund) to make the Knight more suited in that slot.

For instance, a Seneschal in the HQ slot is exactly like the one in the IK codex, except it has a cost (and you don't roll random for everyone else in your detachment). A Knight Arbalester (heavy support) gives the model Tank Hunter and Skyfire if it doesn't move (btw, since so many Knights use blast or template, not really very helpful there!). The Aucteller (Elite) is a knight Champion, that gets to make one worthy foe (think something BIG) its preferred Enemy for the game.

Every knight with the exception of the Styrix is currently rated as usable in 40k, so I'm not sure why the list wouldn't be usable in 40k other than that. I like the options it offers, some minor customization, and even a few upgrades for spare points across the board.

Heck, I'm still trying to decide the best mix of knights using the ranks. Errant Arbalesters sound like fun, for Tank Hunter melta cannons.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Whoever thinks that 30K legions are overpowered needs their head examined.

If they played Mechanicum, there heads would explode.

Questoris is about as fun to play as normal Knight list. The one difference being is that you can actually take Anti-air (Cerastus or Knight Lancer, specifically).

The Cerastus and Acherons are stars of the list; An Autohit S10 Sword attack against models in its base which cause additional hits to bounce to additional models which can be made 25pts cheaper thanks to the Aspirant points buy, while a Lancer is highly resilient and can launch a WS5 Strength D attack against an enemy.

They however can be dealt with in much the same manner as any other knight list; they're not that much more resilient (IWND on the "mechanicum" style knights isn't a major deal breaker, especially when they're I2, meaning that if you have something like a Dreadnought you can get a few WS4-5 S10 Hits in before the enemy knight). Graviton/Haywire/Melta still mauls them.

They're currently really strong in 30K, because there's nothing in the list which accounts for the weaknesses of the 30K meta; massive points taxes on basic units don't exist (the one points tax in the Knight List, it's mandatory HQ is offset as shown by the Aspirant Knight), melta is only just making a come back after the newbies are coming down off their "MUST TAKE ARMOURED CERAMITE ON EVERYTHING", combined with Alpha Legion, Night Lords and Raven Guard becoming the Top Tier legions as people also move away from taking just trains and trains of Spartans (because they're boring to play, and relatively easy to counter by Orbital Assault and other maneuverable legions), and the other weakness is few and far between access to its other killing tools; Haywire is only really available on about 4 different units, and all very expensive, Graviton doesn't exist, and as said, Melta is only just coming back.

Flyers are expensive too; and to tool one for Knight killing duties, it's around 200pts to cause around 2-3 Hull points a turn against an unshielded side, which can either only do that damage once, or it does it on one turn, and is then forced to jink until it leaves combat airspace rendering it's damage output as nil.

Consider something like a Vendetta with Meltacide squad; its costs... what? 270pts for 3 TL BS3 Lascannons and a 3 BS4 Meltas. 265pts picks you up a Storm Eagle Gunship which carries a Multimelta and 2 TL BS4 Lascannons. The Caestus carries a single melta weapon or can bodyslam them (Str 8 vs Side AV12, roll 2 dice and choose the highest = 75% glance chance, 55% chance to penetrate, +1 to damage rolls) but that's 305, the Fire Raptor can barely scratch even with Reaper Batteries.

Unless you abuse the shittily written Lords of War rule and abuse access to something like a Vendetta Squadron from IA3 2nd Edition or something.

That is why Knights are strong in 30K. In 40K, they're high tier, but that's because they're capable of ignoring 60% of an armies models ranged fire and require engaging in CC where they stand a chance of glancing it to death with massed Krak Grenades (no, charging 30 guardsmen with Krak Grenades is not a bright idea).

In 40K, you've got a Knight Army that has some vaguely more interesting ways of blowing things up and has an answer to the Space Wolf Air Cav list.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think 30k is really well balanced. And rather good usable in 40k. Even mechanicum isn't to hard. It's survivable bud not to hard hitting. So it whont kill the enemy army bud wont die either. Knights at really easy to deal with in 40k, way better than in 30k. So yes, I think it is a Awsome list and playable in 40k!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts