Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's a reason to take a generic HQ over an actual fluff hero like taking an ork warboss over thraka, also would it make sense to use a named HQ for another or custom chapter like putting the scars Khan in the imperial fists

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Often "fluff" HQ choices are overpriced for what they can bring to the table. The special rules,added to them to make them fluffy sometimes do not out weigh the options you could purchase on a generic HQ for the same cost. I think as codexs are updated this is less of a issue, but at the same time, often if you need to shave points you could do so by going genetic with your HQ.

As to substitute choices it depends on what you are doing. The example you put forth is actually illegal in terms of the SM codex rules. Now if you are wanting to use Khan in a chapter that you made up, as long as you didn't mix chapter characters like in your example, I would not have a issue personally with it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Generic HQs are generally much more adaptable for what you need in an army, whereas Characters have set rules and costs, which are generally a bit over-priced. For instance in the necron codex most people want a res orb in their HQs (or I certainly do) and there is only one HQ which has it (but who does hapen to be really good) but then there is say Imotekh who is 200 odd pts for very little.

As for using fluff characters in another sub-faction, like Khan in a non white scars chapter. You can have your character's fluff such that the rules for Khan fits it. SO while in rules he is Khan and you have paid the points, he isn't actually Khan for the purposes of the theme of your army (provided it still fits all other rules and restrictions).

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Also: relics and artifacts. Special characters can't take them, so often, you need to take a vanilla character who has access to those unique items.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
There's some rules against just slapping SM special characters together though. You can't go around combining Khan and Tigerius into one detachment for instance.

Other than that, some SC are ridiculously cheap for what they bring to the table (such as Coteaz, tigerius,...) but most are slightly overcosted compared to generic HQs. Generic psykers usually offer a lot of bang for your buck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
how many points your army is also makes a difference. I would not dream of shoving Abaddon into anything less than maybe a 1200 point force...i have wasnt a great plan but meh. Some of the characters cost alot and in small games thats a big chunk you just spent on one dude when a generic comes out at half cost for a decent equivalent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts