Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!
so, i've got several items i want to use as bases for either scenes or individual characters:
-candle holders
-a weird pottery thing
-and just random other objects

would it be frowned upon to use these as bases, since i didn't hand make them?
the most i'd do is slightly modify, cover, and/or paint them before adding the figures...would that be alright in terms of either modeling competitions or events?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
hello!
so, i've got several items i want to use as bases for either scenes or individual characters:
-candle holders
-a weird pottery thing
-and just random other objects

would it be frowned upon to use these as bases, since i didn't hand make them?
the most i'd do is slightly modify, cover, and/or paint them before adding the figures...would that be alright in terms of either modeling competitions or events?
Anything that isn't the standard base technically needs your opponent permission. That said, in anything other than a tournament, I've never found anyone who objects to models with a decorative base. As long as you don't specifically model someone to have a particular advantage (like having them very high up to get a better line of sight) it's usually fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you!
and it wouldn't be looked down upon in a modelling competition?
...why're "modeling" and "modelling" both words?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
thank you!
and it wouldn't be looked down upon in a modelling competition?
...why're "modeling" and "modelling" both words?
Ah, for competition modelling, I would suggest you ask who ever is organising the competition if it's ok - that's the best way. I really doubt they'd have a problem using odds and ends to make up a scenic base though.

Modeling and modelling are both correct, but it's because of a difference in American English and British English. One of those odd little differences :)

·