Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just picked this up, up to about Chapter 6. It's certainly very different to most 40K Novels in the same way Eisenhorn and Ravenor were. I'm kinda struggling to remember how Bequin came into Eisenhorns employ and am wondering if I should go back and re-read E and R before continuing?

Is this worthwhile or if somebody gives me a quick "spoiler"/reminder on how that happened will it be all good?

I know this book is a bit controversial in it's plot and hasn't been well received by some so for those who have read it could you chuck the discussion in spoiler tags?

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I would say just keep reading. I think I figured out what the sketch was early enough on, but kept on reading without going back to E or R to check anyway. All will become clear eventually, so yeah, my advice is keep reading.

As a massive fan of both Eisenhorn and Ravenor, I really liked it and am looking forward to the rest of 'The Bequin Trilogy'.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to go back and read the first two trilogies. Remember, one of the key things about the Bequin Trilogy is that she actually doesn't know Eisenhorn, Ravenor, their retinues, or their relationship to the woman she's named for (and never met). In that sense, not remembering all the characters is kind of a strength - it puts you more in the narrator's perspective.

I thought it was a good novel as well. I found the first couple of chapters slow going (and kept wanting to shout, ...

... but everything turned out well. I just hope the cliffhanger/big reveal near the end is handled well in the subsequent novels. Those done with Book One will know what I mean...

Also, Teke...

OK, sidebar rant over! :biggrin:

·
Registered
47 Posts
As I recall, in Eisenhorn, she was a

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
Keep reading. It will all become clear later on.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
I don't think it's necessary to go back and read the first two trilogies. Remember, one of the key things about the Bequin Trilogy is that she actually doesn't know Eisenhorn, Ravenor, their retinues, or their relationship to the woman she's named for (and never met). In that sense, not remembering all the characters is kind of a strength - it puts you more in the narrator's perspective.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I thought the concept of the whole...book somewhat interesting. But do we really need 270 pages of it? I think 60 pages of it would have sufficed.

In a trilogy, I don't think we could have afforded to waste almost an entire book on setting up the situation. Not when we already have an established background from the other trilogies.

I struggled until we got the reveal. Here's hoping the last two books go smoother.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
That's the thing, though. I don't think the first book was simply setting up a choice of who to follow. Rather, I think its point was to set up the larger conflict that the two Inquisitors will find themselves pulled into... and the choices they will force Bequin to make as a result.

I suppose, however, that one would be within their rights to wonder if said conflict could have been focused on a bit more (as opposed to the innuendo 'Pariah' relied on for the most part).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hope Wystan Frauka is still alive.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought the concept of the whole...book somewhat interesting. But do we really need 270 pages of it? I think 60 pages of it would have sufficed.

In a trilogy, I don't think we could have afforded to waste almost an entire book on setting up the situation. Not when we already have an established background from the other trilogies.

I struggled until we got the reveal. Here's hoping the last two books go smoother.
So I finished it and I whole heartily agree with the above statement.

·
Registered
97 Posts

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks Jacobite.

The yellow king was something Lovecraft related, if I remember correctly. Abnett clearly took inspiration.

It was something bad...something really nasty.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
As I understand it, at least 3 fractions of the old traitor Legions has a personal interest in this (EC, WB and AL). It will be highly interesting to see about that. I read someone had a theory Fulgrim himself would appear in the trilogy, but I can't confirm that. :)

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm going to be very interested to see where the

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I'm going to be very interested to see where the

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts