Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mohawk-Wearing Crazyman
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... do you use Ethereals?

Are they worth it?

Do you load them up with an Honor Guard, or just let them run around solo?

If you do use them, how do they do for you?

I'm asking all these things because I'm still early in on my army building, and I'm contemplating getting an Ethereal mini, if nothing else, for the completist in me.

So, I'm pondering just getting one to paint up, or going the distance and getting a box of Fire Warriors, too, so's my lil Etheral won't be so lonesome.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks,
~A.J.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I do NOT use Ethereals, that one man can cause entire battle lines to crumble in seconds, sure he can also keep them fighting, but so does a Bonding knife, it may cost more, but its not as fragile since you can hide squad leaders.

I would suggest not to use one, do you really want a man that can ruin your entire battle plans in seconds, just because he has the indecent tendency to die, if I was fighting you and saw one deployed, I guarantee he will die

·
Registered
16 Posts
i do and i his hid beyond a bulidin with 10 honour gaurd this works well if you are having a a city fight. if you do take one don't expose him or put him in combat.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I use one depending on the battle situation. I only use one with an Honour Guard and shield drones on both him and the HG(sometimes backed up with a pair of battle suits nearby). The upside is that he makes your HG squad fearless and increases their stats a bit making the unit less enticing for someone who wants a quick cc victory. The down side is...death of course.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i sometimes use him to die for the prefered enemy rule

·
Registered
668 Posts
I've never used one due to having O'Shovah but my friend had 2 in his army so when one is killed the other can stop units from failing their tests and they still get preferred enemy.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
That's a nice tactic jaren. Why has nobody else evr thought of that? Hmmm...

Anyways, I wouldn't use one, because they can be singled out as targets now. I think. Back in the days of 4th Ed. you could just plonk them on top of a tall building. It was the furthest away from the enemy no matter how you look at it so it couldn't be killed. I think that's how it went. I found that on a site somewhere on teh internets.:biggrin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
No

Hes not worth it at all
The only time he may be worth it is just for the extra skill of the honour gaurd, other than that hes pretty much useless.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Guys, you need a Battlesuit Commander anyways so you can't take 2 Ethereals. Battlesuit Commanders are 1+. Which means that you need at least one in every Tau army.

·
Registered
273 Posts
unless you play in apocolypse :p

·
Registered
668 Posts
unless you play in apocolypse :p
Yeah thats what he was thinking of using it in. But then he gave up Tau so we never used the tactic anyway. In a non apocalypse game though I think an etheral would be quite good to use as his honour guard have increased Bs and if he dies then you get preferred enemy anyway.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
If I remember correctly they can't have 2 ethereals since there are only 2 HQ slots and a battlesuit commander is mandatory.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Under the 5th Edition rules he can now be isolated in close combat.
Personally, i don't think that they are 'in tune' with the army. sure, you can justify them on the battlefield but i see them as more politicians than generals.
And in all honesty, it's been quite a while since a politician saw front-line combat.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
*checks last post on this thread as 26-10-2007, 07:13 PM*

*checks all the new posts as today*

well its only ALMOST a year old

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have 1 with an honour blade. Thats it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts