Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has it been revealed where each legion drew its initial recruits from? IE the Nightlords were originally drawn from the prisons of Terra.

Furthermore the re-breather that Mortarion wore, was it out of necessity due to his longs not functioning? Or did he wear the device out of free choice, and could have removed it any time he wanted?

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
Has it been revealed where each legion drew its initial recruits from? IE the Nightlords were originally drawn from the prisons of Terra.
Thousand Sons - Achaemenid Empire (Persians).
Luna Wolves - Cthonia.

The Death Guard, Night Lords & Iron Hands all drew their early recruits from Albia (Albania).

There's more on Lexicanium

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
To my memmory, Morty's armor gassed him with the fumes of Barbarus for that homely feeling.

Yup, checked.

Wisps of white gas curled from the neckbrace of Mortarion's wargear, captured philtres of fumes from the air of Barbarus. Garro caught the scent of them and for an instant his sense memory took him back to the grim, clouded planet with its lethal skies.

Page 30 in Flight of the Eisenstein.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah all this time I had thought that Mortarion wore the re-breather for survivals sake, in that his lungs were permanently damaged during his fight against his father at the mountain top.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Yes! They're in the HH FW books; I'll dig them out now - we only have 8 so far. My observations and theories on where these might be in yellow because.

III - Emperor's Children; After being defeated by Thunder Regiments, as tribute, the nobles of Europa (Threeguessesville) provided their finest youth; including (possibly apocryphally) sons of the nobles houses to give the Legion its name. House Loculus of Komarg are said to have been particularly zealous. Komarg; Kromag, Cro-Magnon; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cro-magnon is how I see it
VI - Space Wolves; Kept Hidden, see Salamanders. Three Guesses otherwise though.
VIII - Night Lords; Mentioned to have recruits from Old Albia Majority came from subterranean prison sinks; the "Nights children"; those born in the darkness, rather than put into the Prison sink by choice.
X - Iron Hands; Mentioned to have recruits from Old Albia. Qavitine (Cavity? Unknown, possibly some immense hole; Mariana Trench?) Plate and Solus Stellax and similar "blocs"; Solus was Sicilian, but also might have to do with the Sun. Cavitine is Italian language, so could well be Mediterranean.
XII - War Hounds/World Eaters; No bias towards recruitment, although psychological screening for inherently violent and obsessively competitive recruits during pre-selection was hinted at; perhaps providing the test results to other legions possibly. May however be apocryphal though.
XIV - Dusk Raiders/Death Guard; Old Albia (Albion; Aka Ingerland Motherfucker/Britain), much more so than NL+IH.
XVI - Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus; Jutigran Bowl and Samsatian Sub-plate (Jutland and Sarmatia/Iran)
XVII - Imperial Heralds/Word Bearers; Recruited from the sons of defeated foes (even then they were losers)
XVIII - Salamanders - Along with the VIth (SW) and XXth (AL), the information is kept secret. Why this would be the case with the legions which appear with Animals, it is not clear.
XXth - Alpha Legion; Kept Hidden, see Salamanders.

Others noted

Astelan (I; Dark Angels) was born on Sibran Steppes Siberian

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is that why mortarion wore a rebreather post of the event? Because his lungs and throat melted away? Or did his lungs heal, and he merely wears it as a reminder?

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a compilation that list all the instances of primarchs healing from injury? Im curious if certain primarchs were better at it than others.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Sanguinius had both legs broken by Ka'bandha during Signus Prime and regenerated not too long after.

Lorgar took a titan plasma weapon to the face, survived and healed. Though the warp certainly aided him.

Vulkan does nothing but superheal injury during Vulkan Lives, even death.

I recall reading of Horus being stunned by a plasma blast and the Emperor guarded him while he recovered, and later repaying the favor by hacking the arm of a greenskin trying to choke his father.

When Horus and Alpharius meets, Alpharius shrugs off bolter shots while unarmored.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Xenos they were. Apparently their specific name has been struck from Imperial records.

They were three times as tall as a man, wore rusted armor, and were thin to the point of gauntness.

·
Thordis
2,438 Posts
Sanguinius had both legs broken by Ka'bandha during Signus Prime and regenerated not too long after.

Lorgar took a titan plasma weapon to the face, survived and healed. Though the warp certainly aided him.

Vulkan does nothing but superheal injury during Vulkan Lives, even death.

I recall reading of Horus being stunned by a plasma blast and the Emperor guarded him while he recovered, and later repaying the favor by hacking the arm of a greenskin trying to choke his father.

When Horus and Alpharius meets, Alpharius shrugs off bolter shots while unarmored.
you forget Roboute Guilleman who walked around in space tearing heads of for quite a while before going back inside, without so much as some irritation to show for it.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes! They're in the HH FW books; I'll dig them out now - we only have 8 so far. My observations and theories on where these might be in yellow because.

III - Emperor's Children; After being defeated by Thunder Regiments, as tribute, the nobles of Europa (Threeguessesville) provided their finest youth; including (possibly apocryphally) sons of the nobles houses to give the Legion its name. House Loculus of Komarg are said to have been particularly zealous. Komarg; Kromag, Cro-Magnon; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cro-magnon is how I see it

XVI - Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus; Jutigran Bowl and Samsatian Sub-plate (Jutland and Sarmatia/Iran)
[/COLOR]
The first is clear (EC and European Nobles connection), and I think it is important in understanding the Sons of Horus founding. To me, it seems they are a mixture of a little of all (Like we see in those regions sort of), to help make Horus and his legions seem more of the "here and now" type deal. My question is what time period? I keep thinking WW1 and WW2 German military also as their inspiration (Like mixing in symbols for effect etc... That Eye/Deaths head/Swastika) not in the same sense of Death Korps of Krieg, if you follow me. For instance, I don't know if this is old or new fluff, but many have said on these forums they seem to pull from a diverse mix of sources in history, coupled with a certain personality of being archtype villians and their leader Horus (Which begs more insights into the primarch since now we know the legions gain their personality from them).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Is there a compilation that list all the instances of primarchs healing from injury? Im curious if certain primarchs were better at it than others.
Certain legions are better at it than others, i believe a codex stated that the sons of Vulkan and Mortarion were the greatest in that regard, immunologically and in regards to resistance against radiation too.

Hence i would assume that the primarchs of the respective legions would also be better in those same regards.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts