Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was starting to assemble some of my new Grey Knights.
This is going to be a strike squad. Anyways, I saw that the assembly pamphlet that came with the box was stating specific legs and chest pieces. Do I have to follow it to the letter or can I just pick ones that look cool?

Thank you for any response!

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Can build them however you want. Gear loadouts might be something you want to watch though. There is something called WYSIWYG(what you see is what you get) which is in regards to weapons and other gear. If you put a sword on it they will typically expect that you are using the rules for a sword.

Edit: questions like this should be posted in the modeling forum by the way.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Sorry, the description on the "Fall in Heretics!" Sub forum said it was a place where newcomers could ask questions. It won't happen again

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
No worries its better to be posting than not far as we are concerned. A mod with the power to move threads might move it though so if you suddenly can't find the thread look for it in modelling is the reason I mentioned it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just pay attention to match the right-left arm for staff, halberds, special weapons, etc.

No resctrictions for heads-chests-legs!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
OK, so I'm a mod with the power ---- and I have moved to a more suitable forum where you will get better answers.

As for your question, I agree with 1ale4, it is best to dry fit the pieces together to make sure they fit ok (arms for the halberds are matched so they fit). But you can go for what looks cool as long as they are WYSWIG (What You See Is What You Get).

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah bodies and legs are generally mix and match and you should have problems, but for arms you may want to follow the instructions if the weapons are two handed, as each arm is designed and angled to fit with another arm. This isn't as big a problem with Marine models, but certainly with a lot of Xenos and fantasy stuff, newer models are being designed like that. So as everybody has said, make sure you dry fit it to make sure everything lines up before you glue it.

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Nice, now if you want to get really snazzy get yourself a hobby drill and drill out the barrels :p

Look forward to seeing how they turn out with paint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm having trouble removing the excess of where the pieces were connected to the sprue. i try to go at them with an exacto knife, but it just ends up looking mangled. Tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
I'm having trouble removing the excess of where the pieces were connected to the sprue. i try to go at them with an exacto knife, but it just ends up looking mangled. Tips would be greatly appreciated!
Get some hobby/modelling files :so_happy:

·
Super Moderator
6,195 Posts
Yah those work well too, emery boards too. The abrasive Popsicle sticks that women use to file their fingernails.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Before assembling the model, I use flat snips to remove the excess, then

The abrasive Popsicle sticks that women use to file their fingernails.
to smooth every piece.

For the sticks, stole your girlfriend's ones, I bet she has plenty of them.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I ran into this problem when I was assembling my first 20 Guardsmen. On the back of the sprue the lasguns have a letter that matches with a supporting arm. I didn't know this at first so a few of my arms are either too short or too long! I think as long as you don't run into what happened with me you should be fine, just make sure the arm lengths match up or else you may get a surprise!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts