Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to put this.

Looking at starting up a BL army, so -

Do I 'need' the basic codex as well? Or can I just get the BL one and have all the rules/point costs I need?

AKA, Does the BL codex have ridiculous entires "refer to page XX in Codex: Chaos Space Marines" for units that are also in the basic codex? e.g, for Chaos Space Marines Squads.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Not sure where to put this.

Looking at starting up a BL army, so -

Do I 'need' the basic codex as well? Or can I just get the BL one and have all the rules/point costs I need?

AKA, Does the BL codex have ridiculous entires "refer to page XX in Codex: Chaos Space Marines" for units that are also in the basic codex? e.g, for Chaos Space Marines Squads.
You need the CSM codex. No unit entries in the BL supplement.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In that case, is there anything worthwhile in the BL codex rule wise?

I know there's a unique sword that is pretty groovy.

Am not paying for fluff that is free off lexicanium, nor using BL rules to use one item.

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
I'd say fuck it, yeah. Could possibly be invalidated by the time the new CSM book comes out or whatever crazy new rules system we get sooner or later to replace 7th. If you're, like, the #1 Black Legion fan on the planet I suppose it could be worthwhile, otherwise go buy a Helbrute or another crappy unit that looks cool for about the same price as the book. :laugh:

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Remember, you can easily play the core book as a Black Legion army. The changes in th supplement are so few, that honestly your opponent wouldn't think twice if you just played vanilla chaos space marines.
NO! If you paint the Black Legion, you gotta use them as Black Legion! OR ELSE! :ireful2: :laugh: :crazy:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Basically the BL book has 1 page of artifacts, 1 page of bonus rules like said above. Loads of Lore and a load of mission pages. So yeah not worth the cost especially as you can google the 2 useful pages and find them on an image search :p

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Black Legion and Crimson Slaughter are supplements so require the core code for all the rules. They don't contain different units but have some extra rules for FoC (e.g. Chosen are troops in a BL army) a different Warlord traits table, alternative artefacts, cities of death and planetstrike strategems and some thematic scenarios.

The Khorne Deamonkin book is a codex in it's own right so has all the rules in there for making an army including unit entries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts