Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what are the rules about terrain? can someone explain them to me in a way that is different than the book itself. no matter how many times i read it, it just doesnt make any sense.

my main reason for this question is because i was at my friends a couple weeks back and im playing and instead of having normal terrain, he put out just some randomly cut cardboard pieces, to represent wooded terrain. i asked him why there arent any trees or anything and he said, "why? as long as you can see your enemy you can shoot at him". Now, i know about the "true line of sight rule", but there seems to be something missing with his quote of the rules.

id really like to know and understand the rules so that when we meet on labor day, i can actually put some good terrain out on the board and do a fun battle.( i soo desperatly want to do a city fight)

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
True line of sight means exactly that.

If you can see it, you can shoot it.

Crouch down behind your toy soldier and if you can see the bad guy, you can shoot the bad guy. It really is that simple.

If more than 50% of the enemy unit/model is obscured, he gets a cover save - probably 4+.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok. thats what i thought.

i knew there was something missing. i am deffinitly throwing some real terrain out on the board now.

thanks!

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
True line of sight means exactly that.

If you can see it, you can shoot it.

Crouch down behind your toy soldier and if you can see the bad guy, you can shoot the bad guy. It really is that simple.

If more than 50% of the enemy unit/model is obscured, he gets a cover save - probably 4+.
That's only for tanks. For the footsloggers, any part obscured is a 4+ cover save.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
If 50% of a unit of infantry (5 out of ten models or whatever) is obscured, that unit gets a cover save. If less than 50% of the unit is obscured, no-one gets a cover save.

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If 50% of a unit of infantry (5 out of ten models or whatever) is obscured, that unit gets a cover save. If less than 50% of the unit is obscured, no-one gets a cover save.
For unit that's true. For a model, any part in cover gets a cover save. Unless it is a monstrous creature or a vehicle.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I could see why your friend would do this with cardboard pieces. If 10 infantry models are hiding behind a large group of trees someone wishing to fire upon them would only need to see the tip of one of the models in order to fire at them(assuming that tip was a targetable part). This would still only grant them a 4+ cover save.

For wooded terrain especially is it quite difficult to make a piece of terrain that completely blocks LOS while still being easy to move models throughout.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts