Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many foundings have there been? Can someone list the latest 5 or 6foundings and how long a chapter would have existed if they were from one of those foundings (ex.100 years, 500 years, etc.). I want to write a story about a marine chapter I made up and I want it to be part of a founding that makes it young but still old enough to have dreadnoughts.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Only a guess, but I'd reckon anything over about 3-400 years would be old enough to have Dreads. That must be about when your original warriors, drawn from your parent chapter, would start getting a bit old, I reckon, and you might have convinced the Adeptus Mechanicus, or the Techmarines of your founding chapter, or whoever controls your tech, that you're worthy to be given the precious secrets of Dread-building technology.

As I say, just a guess. Quite prepared to bow to superior knowledge on this one!

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
A chapter can be a year old and have a Venerable Dread. It only matters that they have one when the Chapter is founded. Mars sometimes gives up tech to new chapters, like Terminator Armor and Dreads.

-Dirge

·
Registered
429 Posts
no if you read the dex theres a part about that and the mechanicus give rinos and term suits thats it the rest is up to the chaptor forge to make.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no if you read the dex theres a part about that and the mechanicus give rinos and term suits thats it the rest is up to the chaptor forge to make.
that makes sense, since most of the marines' vehicles are based off of rhinos. I always thought the mechanicus provided the other "approved" vehicle designs too.

·
The Traveler
2,559 Posts
It does. The Mechanicus provides the basis for a chapter's tech, then turns over production once Techmarines have been trained and forges have been built.

-Dirge

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes. All techmarines spend time on Mars in what you might consider an "apprenticeship" to learn the different skills neccesary to be a techmarine. As a result of constantly training new marines due to attrition, the ability to create Terminator armor is not only very difficult and time consuming but the knowledge is rare. It died with countless members of the mechanicus and SM chapters. The different codex's do mention how valuable these suits are and how the techmarines of the chapter are already pushed to the limit keeping the suits they have in prime condition. So I believe new chapters benefit from the knowledge Mars deems to share with them, and as they grow and evolve as a chapter they gain new knowledge through alliances and deeds they perform. Just my two cents tho.

Alias

1 - 9 of 9 Posts