Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How the bloody hell do you beat The Doom of Malan'tai with sm? he just deep strikes with his spore, and breaks my squads like they're made out of glass!! PLZ!!! Help i've got to face three in a tourny in like four days. I run a founding of imperial fist/ultra blend with kantor and a ton of troop/tank killing.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
killl him?

The key is to hit him with a strength 8+ weapon as no matter how many wounds he has then if he fails his invunrable save then he's dead outright. the other option if to put your men in Trnsports as the new FAQ says he can't touch them.

·
Registered
208 Posts
As above, hit it with your antitank weapons. You'll need on average 3 wounds worth.

Also, i presume the facing 3 in a tourny bit was in relation to 3 seperate armies? the most you face at once is one of them thanks to it being a unique.

·
Registered
941 Posts
PFs are strength ten, they might work:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
PFs are strength ten, they might work:biggrin:
:shok::shok::shok::shok::shok:
What powerfists are you using and can i get some?

Powerfists double your strength(with modifires like furious charge add on at the end) so at most/all your marines will hit it a strength 8...still more than enought.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Meltagun him in the damned face. Shoot him with missile launchers from Land Speeder Typhoons or Tactical squads. Multi-melta him with Attack Bikes, smack him in the jaw with a power fist. There's plenty of ways to get rid of the Doom of Malan'tai. Just do it sooner rather than later to minimize the amount of damage that he causes.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
The Doom dies to Str:8+ weapons. Just *pop* gone. Remember he can't suck you out of a transport. So if you're meched, just shoot him from the hatch, and be done with it! One Rhino at 12" from the doom firing a meltagun can pop him, but 2 meltas are a better choice. If you've got a combi-melta on the Rhino, you're getting there. Missiles are good, too.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
They are indeed brutal, but as others have mentioned, they aren't invincible. A single failed save from a S 8+ weapon will cause instant death.

However, to split hairs, it will take 7-8 powerfist attacks on average, or 5-6 S8+ shooting attacks.

Each shot has a 2/3 chance of hitting x 5/6 chance of wounding x 1/3 chance of getting by his invulnerable save, resulting in a 10/54 chance of each shot killing him. So statistically, you'll need either 5 or 6 shots to do it.

Since the Doom has WS4, close combat attacks are a little bit worse off, with a 1/2 chance of hitting instead of 2/3, resulting in a 5/36 chance of each attack killing him, which means you'll need 7-8 powerfist attacks to do it.

If you ask me, shooting is the way to go do him in. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Honestly, a lot of shooting usually does him in, even if it's not STR:8 Remember, if it will bring down a Marine Squad, it'll bring down a full burping Doom! 30 wounds is what it takes. If you've got 2 full tac squads unloading, it might just die.

·
Registered
137 Posts
It simple really, one doom can be killed easy enough. Just shoot the damn bug with a few big guns, "Nukem Rico" or if you have to the smart thing as an SM player... Be the mobile infantry and rapid fire his ass, 20-40 bolter shots will result in a few failed saves for the critter... Marine Rush just like Starcraft lol... those zerg don't stand a chance...

·
Registered
90 Posts
hell, a rhino with a combi melta has a chance to kill him. ANYTHING with str8 can kill him outright if he fails that invuln (friend proxied a doom of malen'tai and since most of my army were in rhinos, smacked him with a single pintle mounted combimelta and lol'd as he failed it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts