Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon chaps, was just reading through this section of the forum and read some comments about about glazes and washes, are these two seperate things? I always thought they were two names for the same thing but then again I've not been much of a painter until recently I was more concerned with gaming however now I'm getting the painting bug. So my question is, what's the difference between a wash and a glaze? Is a glaze something you make yourself by watering down a paint and a wash one that's already mixed? And what are the different applications for the two or do they do the same thing?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Afternoon chaps, was just reading through this section of the forum and read some comments about about glazes and washes, are these two seperate things? I always thought they were two names for the same thing but then again I've not been much of a painter until recently I was more concerned with gaming however now I'm getting the painting bug. So my question is, what's the difference between a wash and a glaze? Is a glaze something you make yourself by watering down a paint and a wash one that's already mixed? And what are the different applications for the two or do they do the same thing?
A wash and a glaze act very differently on a model. A Glaze contains much less pigment and is degined to help tint an area a certain color without leaving large amounts in recesses. A wash on the other hand is designed specifically with more pigment to darken the recesses of a mini. A wash can be used as a Glaze but a glaze is much more difficult to use as a wash without several fairly heavy applications. you can make your own glazes and washes by just watering down either regular paint (heavily watered down) or an existing wash.

The metal in this pic has been given a blue glaze over it to tint the metalblue. the bolter itself has been given a black wash to darken recesses and make the model look more "alive"

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Effectively what Swede Marine said. Most of the time I us enormal paint and thin it down if I need a glaze of something, it can also be used to tie together/ tone down highlight by bring them all into the same sort of shade (e.g. if you have highlighted red armour with a bright orange you could use a red glaze to make ait look a bit more subtle).

GW Shades are washes that you can use straight out the pot, and they also have ready to use glazes too, though only 4 sadly, but they are primary colours so you can always mix them quite easily.

There are also Oil washes that you can get which are good if you do whole model washes as a final touch. It is a bit more advanced but easy to do, quite simply you get an oil paint (normally black) and thin it down with isopropyl alcohol (aka mineral spirits) to a wash consistency and use it like a normal wash over a gloss varnished model (if not you will take the paint off) Once dry take a cotton bud soaked in the alcohol and rub over the raised areas (this will take the wash off everywhere but the recesses). As I said this is mroe advanced and most people just use normal washes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts