Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I run all-comers lists - or at least I try to run lists that can realistically fight all the armies I'm likely to face in the manor.

However, I recently7 got my arse rather convincingly handed to me by pure Grey Knights. Th biggest problem was an inability to crack two Land Raiders.

I've therefore tinkered with my list and would like some critique. The list must be able to face MEQ (Nilla, GK and CSM), Eldar (ton of Eldar, all builds), Guard and Tau.

This is what I've come up with:

-----------------
-HQ-
Canonness (Inferno Pistol, Eviscerator, Cloak of St. Aspira, Jump Pack)
:125

-TROOPS-
Battle Sister Squad 1
VSS (Mastercraft Plasma Pistol, Eviscerator, Book of St. Lucius)
9 Battle Sisters (Heavy Flamer, Meltagun)
Rhino (Extra Armour)
:233

Battle Sister Squad 2
VSS (Bolt Pistol, Power Sword, Book of St. Lucius, Meltabombs)
Rhino (Extra Armour)
:207

Battle Sister Squad 3
VSS (Combi-Flamer, Power Sword, Book of St. Lucius, Meltabombs)
Rhino (Extra Armour)
:216

-FAST ATTACK-
Dominion Squad
VSS (Combi-Flamer)
5 Dominions (4x Flamer)
Immolator (Extra Armour, Twin Linked Heavy Flamers, Smoke)
:199

Seraphim Squad 1
VSS (Bolt Pistol, Eviscerator)
5 Seraphim (x2 Dual Hand Flamers)
:181

Seraphim Squad 2
VSS (Mastercraft Plasma Pistol, Sword, Meltabombs)
5 Seraphim (Dual Hand Flamers, Dual Inferno Pistols)
:199

-HEAVY SUPPORT-
Exorcist
(Extra Armour)
:140

1'500 Points
--------------------

All bar one of the Rhinos can by turned into Immolators (or vice/versa) and the weapons are all magnetic, if that helps. I've also got some heavy bolters, multimeltas and more meltaguns, flamers and heavy flamers knocking around, and one more VSS w/ combi-flamer, and some more bolter sisters and Seraphim if any of them seem needed.

Advice very much sought!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi,
this is the list i use for 1500pts.I don't know if i am just lucky but i get a 90%+ win rate against all armies,yes even Eldar and their nasty tricks.I have been playing for nearly a year now and find this works for a general all comers list.Hope it helps.:grin:

HQ 150 pts Faith 2
Canonness
Cloak of St Aspira 20 pts
Inferno Pistol 15 pts
Blessed power weapon 30 pts
Mantle of Ophelia 15 pts
Jump Pack 20 pts
Book of St.Lucius 5 pts

Canonness 130 pts Faith 2
Cloak of St Aspira 20 pts
Inferno Pistol 15 pts
Eviscerator 25 pts
Jump Pack 20 pts
Book of St Lucius 5 pts

Troops x 2= 430 pts Faith 2
Vet Superior-combi flamer 35 pts
1 Hvy Flamer 23 pts
1 Flamer 17 pts
7 Sisters 77 pts
Book of St.Lucius 5 pts
Rhino-Extra armour-smoke 58 pts

Fast Attack x 2 466 pts Faith 4
Vet Superior-eviscerator/bolt pistol 58 pts
2 twin Flamers 58 pts
4 Sisters 88 pts
6 melta bombs 24 pts
Book of St.Lucius 5 pts

Heavy support 280 pts
Exorcist -extra armour 140
Exorcist - extra armour 140

Total 1456 pts 10 Faith pts

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
One exorcist for Ranged AT isn't going to cut it in the 5th edition world. I quiz you this, what do you do if you're Rhino rushed? The exorcist is only gonna take out 1 or 2 before they're on you. Consider another exorcist, and a Retributor squad with MM.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Elektra - hate to break it to you but your list is illegal - Only Inquisitors and Heroines may be issued an Inferno Pistol...

Creon - you've cemented my desire for a second exorcist (damned price rise!).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I run all-comers lists - or at least I try to run lists that can realistically fight all the armies I'm likely to face in the manor.

However, I recently7 got my arse rather convincingly handed to me by pure Grey Knights. Th biggest problem was an inability to crack two Land Raiders.

I've therefore tinkered with my list and would like some critique. The list must be able to face MEQ (Nilla, GK and CSM), Eldar (ton of Eldar, all builds), Guard and Tau.
How about considering an immolator spam-ish approach? I've learned to appreciate the smaller squad sizes of Celestians/Dominions in Immolators as capable of presenting a threat to both vehicles (two meltaguns) and infantry (twin-linked heavy flamer that may fire after moving 12").

Celestian/Dominion squad
Meltaguns x2
Immolator

They may not seem very hardy, but at 150 points per unit, you can have 6 vehicles bearing down on the enemy for 900 points. Those two land-raiders (250 apiece plus their contents: probably amount to the same cost? ) will now have to go through six immolators and twelve meltas.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though. I've been obssessing lately over an immolator spam army but haven't been able to buy enough models for it :p

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Immolator spam is something I've considered briefly - however, like you I lack sufficient models to do it propperuly - only five meltaguns and three Immolators here.

What do you think of two squads of sisters in Rhinos and two squads of dominions (3x flamer, 1x melta) in Immolators - possibly multi-melta Immolators?

·
Registered
166 Posts
What do you think of two squads of sisters in Rhinos and two squads of dominions (3x flamer, 1x melta) in Immolators - possibly multi-melta Immolators?
Multi-melta immolators wouldn't make good transports unless they were carrying Retributor MMs or HBs, since they can only move 6" if you want to fire the MM.

How about this? I've included a third Seraphim squad to make up for the lack of armour:

-HQ-
Canoness - inferno pistol, eviscerator, cloak, mantle, jump pack
140 points

-ELITE-
Celestian squad - heavy flamer, meltagun
Immolator
152 points x2

-TROOPS-
Battle sister squad - meltagun, heavy flamer
Veteran superior - book
Rhino
201 points x2

-FAST ATTACK-
Seraphim squad - twin hand flamers, twin inferno pistols
Veteran superior - book, eviscerator
172 points x3

-HEAVY SUPPORT-
Exorcist
135 points

46 infantry
5 tanks
7 meltas
9 flamers
9 faith
TOTAL - 1497 points

Everything in the list is capable of threatening infantry and armour, but you can mix and match special weapons if you prefer more specialized squads.

Granted, the three squads of Seraphim are counter-intuitive to the mechanized nature of 5th ed., but I would prefer them over footslogging girls that get gunned down in the open. Make use of LOS-denying terrain, or if playing terrifyingly empty tables, hide them behind your advancing vehicles.

I'd be wary of horde armies, though. It's crazy how easily Deffguns penetrate AV11 at BS 2.

Also: start saving up for more immolators.

Edit: fixed the number of faith points.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Also: start saving up for more immolators.
holy promethium is a must vs hord...

low leadership and moral checks = yay!

i personally carbon copy everything on the cheaper side... more models better flexibility and more faith :)

troops generally do well with a vet, Book, 1 heavy flamer, a melta and a rhino... if you wanna get snazzy an eviserator is an evil invention...

also remember 5th is all about troops, 2 hq, 2 elites, 4 troops and 2 heavies are well within 1.5k that gives you two carbon copy firing bases to divide and conquer (or flank)

and if you play your cards right you can squeeze in 2 fast which will help exponentially

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Personally I would either drop one of the dominion or seraphim squad for another exorcist. They can be easily converted if you don't like the metal one or the resin forgeworld ones.

I would add another sister to the seraphim squad and maybe get them meltabombs, especially if you are having issues with vehicles.

Against greyknights don't worry to much about the landraiders, they will come within range of meltaguns soon enough. I wouldn't waste exorcist shots on them unless there are no other targets. Sister's shouldn't have problems with grey knights they cost more than marines and die just as easily to divine guidance flamers and bolters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts