6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HQ
Belial

Librarian with Mastery Level 2, Conversion Field, and Terminator Armour

TROOPS
Deathwing Terminators with Plasma Cannon

Deathwing Terminators with Plasma Cannon

Deathwing Terminators with Cyclone Missile Launcher, Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields (n.b. my gaming group chooses to, ah, 'conveniently forget' the FAQ preventing Deathwing Sergeants from bringing Claws or a Hammer)

ELITES
Deathwing Knights

FAST ATTACK
Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 2 Meltaguns

Ravenwing Attack Squadron with 2 Meltaguns

INQUISITORIAL DETACHMENT
Inquisitor with 3 Servo-Skulls

STORMWING FORMATION
Stormraven Gunship with Hurricane Bolters and Multi-Melta

Stormtalon

Stormtalon

2000pts

Terminators come down on turn 1, shoot some people, Stormwing hopes to show up early on (wanted points for a Comms Relay, but nobody can really man it in the list so I didn't bother in the end) and start mowing some infantry - the Stormtalons will probably attach to the Outflanking Ravenwing depending on whether there are any tasty targets.

The hope is that the overwhelming force of the Deathwing and the Stormwing Formation will be enough to break the enemy line and kill or cripple the dangerous aspects of their force, before being hardy enough and hopefully killy enough to work outwards from there.

Definitely issues with not being able to shoot tanks at all, but you have to make sacrifices to be a Terminator sometimes.

Ultimately though? No real plan, it justs looks awesome and has a cool name. Enjoy!

· Rattlehead
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No TH/SS in the PC squads?? Lookit you with your Stormbolters, you could drop the Hurricane Bolters on the SR (pretty god damned useless unless you're taking the TLAC as well- you haven't stated) to kit each squad with three. Still jealous of your group's overlooking of the FAQ. I just....can't bring myself to ignore it. The Libby and Inquisitor pose interesting questions for me.
The only reason for the lack of TH/SS is simply a lack of models - it would almost certainly be a better choice to run TH/SS, I agree, and I'm working on fixing the situation but at the moment, I work with what I have :) And yes, the Stormraven has the standard Assault Cannon. I only tend to specify the guns if I change them from the default, which can be confusing on a model that can have multiple loadouts.

Can the Libby be involved in a DW squad that is utilizing a rule the Libby doesn't share to come in T1?
Terminator Armour gives DA Special Characters the Vengeful Strike and Deathwing Assault special rules, so he can do it just fine. And I'd need to check the wording but I guess he might get twin-linked Witchfires, maybe?

Where is the Inquisitor going, in the Stormraven by himself?
Probably, there or behind LOS blocking terrain. As long as he's not First Blood, I don't care if he dies. Servo-Skulls are still great at 11.33 points each.

I'm kindof at a crossroads with the DW army. I love the T1 DS, but feel very insecure doing it without Servo Skulls. I am then led to not liking my list as much because it accommodates this one silly little model for 9 points worth of game-changing kit. Why not drop the Libby for an ADL w/ Comms Relay, keep the HB sponsons, and use the points left over from the Libby/ADL swap to beef up them PC squads with TH/SSs, leaving the Inquisitor to hide out of LoS and man the Comms relay?
I *generally* run some Greenwing and cut down significantly on the amount of Deathwing stuff, since Deathwing either rolls face or gets annihilated depending entirely on how well you can roll 2+ saves.

Interesting suggestion, but I really like the Librarian - re-rolls to hit on Terminators makes them a pretty dangerous melee threat rather than being some dudes who can kinda shoot and kinda punch (why TH/SS are better - rather than some admittedly mediocre firepower, they get great resilience against the kind of things you want them to fight - although I've never used my TH/SS and not wished they were DWK).

Deathwing have a lot of problems, yeah, always have; I'm looking into the idea of supporting them with Drop Pods, but I don't know if that's going to work out yet.

· Rattlehead
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't forgotten you, my wonderful DAngly posters - my internet's packed up and no way can I write a proper response on my phone with glacial 3G.

In short, yes, GK do what DA do way better. Yes, DA are essentially entirely invalidated by SM and GK. Yes, I always use my Orks unless I'm fighting a close friend. No, that's not going to stop me from using Codex: Space Marines (Alpha Release, Dark Green Edition) for at least some part of my lists, even if I 'ally' in SM as the Greenwing CA detachment.

Good discussion going on here.

· Rattlehead
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My problem with that is that you simply don't have an answer to Orks or Guard bringing a bunch of dudes. Your 25 dudes are going to be overwhelmed through weight of fire or bodies, and Terminators don't have the damage output to give as good as they get (Deathwing Knights are the closest you get, and if they get charged by a squad of 20 or 30 Boyz it still gets pretty rough).

The only thing DA can do better than Space Marines is bring Terminators as Troops (at which they're strictly worse than GK - 11pts per model is a HUGE price to pay to upgrade your Force Weapon to a Power Fist and get Fearless at the cost of one-turn Battle Focus, Hammerhand and GK heavy weapons) and bringing three Land Raider Crusaders with the Bolter Banner and Power Field Generators. If you want Power-Armoured dudes at all, Space Marines do it better. If you want Terminators, Grey Knights do it better.

Deathwing just has a laughably low damage output which pushes it out of the realms of viability, which is a shame because Terminators look really cool. That's not stopping me from trying, certainly, but I don't pretend Dark Angels are a straight downgrade from Space Marines and Grey Knights.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.