Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not a bad comparison vid.

The PS4 visuals are certainly good, with bright clean colours and crisp shadow effects. Really very nice.

The PC version though, whilst its colours may at first seem dimmer, thats only because its using far more fogging and particle effects. Thats not a surprise really, as console gfx quite often skimp a little on "fancy" techniques to improve frame rates.

Also, the PS4 shots dont seem to use too much Depth of Field blurring. So, again its losing a little in the cinematic feel, but still not too shabby.

Having said all that though, its always difficult to compare consoles to PC's - even if the next gen console beats current PC tech, it wont be long before the humble beige box overtakes it again.

Simply put, its a damn fine looking show from the PS4 here, but, as always, its a catch up game consoles may never win. Leaving that argument aside for a moment, the PS4 looks set to be a visually stunning console. It might even convert a few Microsoft die-hards.:wink:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
It's a catch-up game that they never HAVE to win, though. Console gamers will keep playing on consoles and there's nothing wrong with that. It helps both sides in the long run, as because multi-format games have to cater to all hardware, including the lowest out there, the PC often giggles psychotically with the ease of a game made for several-year-old hardware.

The console gamers are happy because they don't have to put together a new PC, the PC gamers are happy because either the game will be shinier on PC or it'll be a matter of months until someone ENBs it, and the world keeps turning happily until the next console cycle, as minor differences in shininess are entirely unimportant in comparison to the gameplay.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It's a catch-up game that they never HAVE to win, though.
And I totally agree - as I said in my post, its always difficult to compare consoles to PC's, because the tech just keeps leapfrogging. But just to clarify, I was in no way trying to start a "PC is always better" debate.

I'd be a hypocrite to start that debate - I own several consoles as well as several PC's, and which one I'm on at the time is far more dependant on what I want to be doing, rather than how shiny I want it to look.

Even still, the PS4 is impressive to look at, and that, I feel, is the whole point of this thread. :wink:

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
To the trained eye there is a lot more discrepancies if you look closely.

PS4 has:
-No depth of field
-Started stuttering profusely on the close-up of the fallen king
-No definition in dark areas, where the PC shows distinction among close-to-black elements in shadow, these details disappeared on the PS4.
-Simplified particles, though this is not a disservice in this particular example, as IMO they didn't use particles that well apart from when the gate blows open. The gate blowing open looking like a sandstorm on the PS4 and a blizzard on the PC was the big difference though.
-The Lava is HUGE. The PS4 only draws the top layer, no refractions, reflections or sub-surface scattering, difference there is immense.
-Physics look good on the PS4, though there were frame rate issues with the falling bricks.
-Shadow resolution is halved throughout the entire demo
-It couldn't even run the mountain vista open world flythrough. This spells doom for the next Elder Scrolls game in terms of graphics.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Too true. In part thats why I dislike Console-PC comparisons. We know the areas the consoles will skimp and save stress on the cpu/gpu, but realistically, the console will rarely, if ever match up to a modern PC.

A comparison of Console to PC is useful still, but I think a comparison between old/new would be a more helpful indication of the next gen consoles improvements in a straight line tech measure.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Its always nice to see how you can come on here and levy such thinly veiled insults on other people; good job with that.

After watching the comparison, I have to say that I would be thoroughly pleased with either of those. The PC was clearly better in some places, but I found myself preffering the PS4 in others. I'm talking about places like around:

0:11 - the PS4 shows detail to the room beyond the hallway, even though there is light shining into that room in both versions. (0:20 see's the PS4 do this.)
0:33 - the PC takes a little while to unblurr the detail on the armour, and the PS4 version appears to maintain better detail following.
0:44 - a mixed bag personally, the PS4 looks cleaner but is darker while the PC is less sharp but lighter.
1:54 - PS4 allows you to see beyond the arch and the torch on the left is more detailed.
2:25 - PS4 gives us detail on that wall, you get nothing from the PC version (yeah theres snow on the wall, but its not a perfectly flat wall.)

And thats just five, but since I don't see things the way you do I am likely not one of those trained eyes you speak of.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
And thats just five, but since I don't see things the way you do I am likely not one of those trained eyes you speak of.
Touche, I believe. :wink:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The other vitally important thing to remember is that this, just like every UE before it, is a tech demo made with a raw, still-in-development and ever-evolving engine that has had ZERO time to be optimized for the next generation at a release-ready level. Given the average time it takes for devs to properly get used to optimizing across platforms as they get experience with the hardware (Well, just look at Gears of War 2 vs 3. No fan of the games, but it's an impressive leap), this tech demo comparison is still little to nothing of value.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
After watching the comparison, I have to say that I would be thoroughly pleased with either of those. The PC was clearly better in some places, but I found myself preffering the PS4 in others.
Pretty much my reaction as well. Guess I'm an untrained idiot as well then.

Oh look... there goes the fuck I don't give.

Have PC's often got better graphics? Yea
Can I be assed with the constant crashes etc that my PC got as it got older? No

I'm happy gaming on a console at the moment. Do I have something against PC gamers? No.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
wow they still make stuff for pc, thought they would have stopped flogging that horse a long time ago, you know what i like the most about consoles ? i like the fact if i buy a game that is for my console it works out of the box, i got so sick of having to take a trip to the pc parts store every fecking year and hand over more cash to upgrade something in the box just so i could make a fecking game run, and even when i had enough coin to buy something fairly future proof it didnt stop some twat releasing games that were un playable for months because they needed patching like a tramps trousers!

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Console games are no better for needing fixes and patches. If there's a problem that needs addressing that can be solved via a patch, it should be patched no matter the platform. Developers are typically lazy and rushed by publishers, which is NEVER a good combination.

As for needing to constantly update? I strongly suggest you stop buying parts that are the bare minimum. A well thought out and built PC, unless you don't do your research and you end up buying parts right before a major architecture step (which are often announced and followed by the entire hardware media a good 12-18 months in advance) will still play games that are coming out three or four years after being built quite comfortably, albeit perhaps not at the absolutely, needlessly-shiny max specs towards the end of that.

Each to their own as far as platform is concerned, but there's no reason to bitch and gripe because you personally can't be bothered to do a little product research prior to forking out for parts.

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
you know what i like the most about consoles ? i like the fact if i buy a game that is for my console it works out of the box
That doesn't really hold true anymore. Current games on consoles needs patching on day one in most cases, and then add that the next console generation will be requiring an internet connection to even play, it's starting to become more convenient to own a PC. Console manufacturers are gradually removing the one advantage they had to begin with, all as a poorly disguised attempt to stop used games and add DRM. In fact, if you get your games on Steam or Gog.com, you are really going to have more of that valued console convenience and "it just works"-ness on a PC than any of the consoles.

As for thinly veiled insults, whoever said that, I think you're overreacting quite a fair bit and misinterpreted what I said entirely.

EDIT: At least, if you want to hop on the console train this generation too, get a Steambox. At least that will be upgradeable by anyone, even my grandma could do it. And there's no denying the Steambox will by far have the biggest game library.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
As for thinly veiled insults, whoever said that, I think you're overreacting quite a fair bit and misinterpreted what I said entirely.
Right, your "to the trained eye" comment wasn't meant as a means to raise you above people who disagree with your known preference of the PC platform and seeming dislike for the PS4.

Considering that the engine itself looks fantastic, regardless of the platform it's on, makes the comparison test pointless beyond worthless console wars.

EDIT: At least, if you want to hop on the console train this generation too, get a Steambox. At least that will be upgradeable by anyone, even my grandma could do it. And there's no denying the Steambox will by far have the biggest game library.
And there it is again.

Personally I feel no reason to get a steambox, I have a 28in 1080p monitor for my PC. I'll just keep using a PC in addition to my PS3/4 and Xbox360/720

·
Ranty ranter!
2,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Right, your "to the trained eye" comment wasn't meant as a means to raise you above people who disagree with your known preference of the PC platform and seeming dislike for the PS4.
GOD FORBID that I imply that on a non-videogaming forum, imply that there are users who aren't experts on rendering techniques!

It has nothing to do with my 'known preference' for anything. Go back and look at the video, and read every bullet point I wrote as you pause each part I mentioned, and you'll notice that what I wrote is true.

And as I've mentioned many times before in this very forum, I have been employed as a Q&A tester and contributed my own time to both modding and game design since I was a teenager. Having lived for video games for 15 years it's safe to say that I have a 'trained eye'.

I can't possibly understand this could be in any way insulting to anyone.

·
We fly for the Emperor!
201 Posts
Console vs PC debates are useless, as PC will always won. What can be achieved by PS 4 (if they are better) will be surpassed by PC in one years time. Not to mention that GPU vendors on PC's are competing with each other, forcing each of them to manufacture better products every year.

But yes, competitions also profit the PC gamer. Some games are made for console also, PC will benefit from lowered minimum requirements. But sadly, some developers took it too far by just "porting" console version to PC, or PC to console, which creates a bad thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts