Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have anxiety, fairly bad. I keep it under wraps but sometimes it crops up significantly. It used to be academic related, now it's work related, etc. etc.

Anyway, I get it with projects sometimes. It sort of comes and goes with OCD and depression woven in. Anyway, one of the things that keeps it at bay is good organisation. I always feel better after I am well organized on a project in any aspect of life, which brings me to this topic....

How do you guys organize your projects? Beyond just what's on your bench, how do you keep track of what is totally finished, what's a WIP, what you're still adding minor changes to, what's been clearcoated, etc.

To an extent, I can always tell which model is at which stage of the process, but I am always concerned that I might take a break from that project and when I come back to it, I will not remember what stage I was at. I keep my projects bagged up in foam, and fairly organized by model (as well as the foam permits). Any model I am completely done painting, I DO NOT put back in the bag until it is clearcoated. Once it's clearcoated, I mark the bottom with any colored dash mark. Only problem is, this is a newer technique of mine so there's a few armies that are entirely unmarked, but like I said, I can tell what's completed and what isn't.

Anyway, this is how I organize my projects. What about you guys?

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
Wow, that's a great question.

I don't have any system like yours. And it's worth noting I'm not the least OCD. I play chaos and my work area is in chaos.

As I'm getting a project together I usually collect the pieces in a little plastic tub, baby food jar, or Ziploc bag. I keep the pieces there until it's time to assemble it, then I glue, prime, paint, & finally assemble.

I don't typically clear coat my models so I don't worry about that step. If the model is done it goes in a miniatures case or on a display shelf.

I don't really get anxious about too much these days. I'm often do overloaded between work, family, grad school, and other social obligations that if I stopped to worry I'd never get anything done. I'd just freak out. So I plan as best I can and forge ahead. By the same token I haven't actually painted models in a few years . . . Maybe I'll get back to it in another 11 months when I graduate.

In the interim I still have miniatures projects I want to work on, and like all our fellow addicts I have continued to buy additional kits dreaming of free time in the future.

So once I get the little one (my largest miniature project) in bed I can post a picture of my organization scheme - such as it is.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's fairly resassuring. Haha. I keep my main armies for 40k in a big bag. Dark Angels, some Ad Mech, and my Imperial Fists. I have a small case for my totally completed Death Guard army. I have a bag for my Warriors of Chaos, and another bag for my Dwarfs. And then I have another bag I keep a few smaller scale games in. Some PHR for Drpzone Commander, and my mechs for battletech. All are in various states of completion. Everything else is set out in organising drawers that I got from Target.

I am moving to Hartford this year so I am glad everything is bagged up as it is. My painting station is pretty mobile. I keep everything I use for painting and modeling in a large tackle box.

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
all my armies are displayed on shelves. anything that is not finished is standing on my hobby desk, or standing with its army when I need the desk cleared.

All my bits are in labeled boxes, every army has its own box, and in some cases specific bit types (like Imperial guard weapons/arms or Imperial guard heavy weapons.) have their own box due to the sheer amount of parts I have.

paints, and brushes and glue all have their own spot either on my desk or in my little plastic storage unit, and I sort my paints by color groupes. *twitch*

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My hobby takes 4 shelves at my desk. Two boxes of bits, tools, books, Paints, brushes, and Projects. When finished they are put into each army's storage box and kept at my store room. My wife won't have any models on display in the apartment. haha! :D

·
Thordis
2,443 Posts
Well when the day comes that we buy a house I'll see to it that we have enough space for a dedicated hobby-room and then they may be put on display. :)
we only have a 3 room appartment excluding our kitchen and bathroom. XD we simply spend so much time on our hobbies when we are home we wanted the biggest room to be our Hobby/work room because we do not entertain a lot of guests, especialy not at the same time.
we made the second largest room our bedroom, and our smallest room our living room, but we can still easely have 10 guests at the same time in our living room.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My wife won't have any models on display in the apartment. haha! :D
I know the feeling. Just told the missus "No! I neeeeed to look at them sometimes". That and the fact that we don't have room for storage anywhere so she kinda didn't have any choice :p
So now I have the corner of hour dining table in the kitchen (2 room apartment, 55m2) which is the only room where i have space. So I'm basically sittingin in a 1,5m x 1,5m square where MY stuff is and hers is everywhere in the apartment :p

Back to the question:

I have both unpainted AND painted models in my glass cupboard. I paint a full unit untill it's done and don't start anything else until that is done. I hate having "half-painted" models standing around, so when I'm painting them and taking a break, they are in a box at the bottom of the cupboard, next to the box with WIP. 3 top shelves are full painted or only basecoated models.

So not as much as system as lack of space :p

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts
The system I have used since I was eight can best be described as "complete fucking anarchy!". :laugh:

Although I've now boxed up nearly everything in order to try to bring some semblance of order to my work station. I now only have fourteen different units on the desk...... :crazy:

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I have a system of sorts, as I too like to have some kind of system to see what progress I have made. Also to keep track of how much I buy and how much I have yet to paint.

Ground rules:
1) Only fully painted and based models goes in the display area.
2) When you start painting a unit, you finish it. No half-assed jobs.
3) If you assemble a unit, it is the next unit you paint.

My workstation works like this (old image, don't mind the models in the photo):

I have made 3 main areas of my workstation, to have a good flow.

Area 1: Painting area
When a unit is here, it is the one you paint. It does not leave this area before it is done. I paint production line, so when I start one stage, I finish it for all the models that I am currently painting before heading over to the next. I don't start a stage if I cannot finish it in that same session.

Area 2: Box area
Here is where I place boxes of units that I have bought, but not assembled. If I cannot get it to lie up there, I am not allowed to buy anymore models, before I can place it up here. This keeps me from buying more and more models, if my painting cannot keep up with the pace and keeps me from having a immense backlog.

Area 3: Queue area
Here is where I place assembled models that are the next in line to be painted. Only 1 unit is allowed in this area, and I cannot assemble anything before I can place it here.

This way I make sure I know the following at any time:

- I know which stage I am at in my painting as all models are always at the same stage. I can pick up any model in my painting area, and see what is missing.
- I know what the next unit I should paint is. I just have to look to my left.
- I know that I can control the amount of buys I do, as I can see the production backlog at all times and not be surprised at how much I am missing.
- I do not mix up or forget any units, as all the painted and finished ones are on the displayboard behind me.

Maybe a bit too controlled, but it helps me finish stuff in a regular pace and keep my "Oh I want this and this and this" gene in check. We all got our ways of doing it, but a system can help out every once in a while :)

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
@Nordicus Some thing like that I'm aiming at when I have a hobby room. Just one inquiry, black desk? That is what I have know and I hate it. The light seems to vanishe and there is very harsh contrast between light and shadow. Do you have additional light sources that ain't on this pic or have you not experienced that as a problem? I'm going with a lightly coloured desk for the future.

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Do you have additional light sources that ain't on this pic or have you not experienced that as a problem? I'm going with a lightly coloured desk for the future.
I have a window over to the right of the headset you can see, and a lamp in the ceiling - Nothing specially made for painting though.

The contrast are bigger, I agree, but I have not experienced it to be a problem yet. In fact I like the high contrast as the most vibrant thing on the desk is what I'm painting - I don't get distracted by things around me as the main focus is the colorfull little model that I'm currently painting.

I could use a better lightsource but I find that I can easily see what I am doing at the present stage. There's always room for improvement though and a lighting source is probably the main one currently.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
I have a window over to the right of the headset you can see, and a lamp in the ceiling - Nothing specially made for painting though.

The contrast are bigger, I agree, but I have not experienced it to be a problem yet. In fact I like the high contrast as the most vibrant thing on the desk is what I'm painting - I don't get distracted by things around me as the main focus is the colorfull little model that I'm currently painting.

I could use a better lightsource but I find that I can easily see what I am doing at the present stage. There's always room for improvement though and a lighting source is probably the main one currently.
I ment shadows on the models. I Always find it difficult to have light reach everywhere on the models thus making it hard to get details right. :)

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
I ment shadows on the models. I Always find it difficult to have light reach everywhere on the models thus making it hard to get details right.
Ah yes that can be a problem - I don't think that has anything to do with my table though. That's because I use a shitty IKEA lamp :p

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Ah yes that can be a problem - I don't think that has anything to do with my table though. That's because I use a shitty IKEA lamp :p
haha!! I feel the difference when I'm painting on our dinning table instead. It is White and it reflects the light and the shadows on the model itself almost disapears. Try a white sheet or something on the desk and see if you feel the difference aswell. :)

Sorry for going off the OP. I and Nordicus are finished here. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts