Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess i'm at a little bit of a loss, I've been using break fluid after the advice of my friend and I've soaked the miniatures for close to a week in the stuff, scrubbing off with a toothbrush, and managed to get the models like i just washed them with badab black, but can't seem to get the details cleaned out or back to their standard "grey" tone. If i leave these details on will it keep me from applying a primer of a different color?

Or should i break down and use simple green or rubbing alchohol. I have a can of methyl hydrate aswell, but i'm not sure if that'll damage the miniature. I've checked the "how to strip paint" thread and i haven't really seen anything that applies.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Narik

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
It's often very difficult to get the deepest recesses clean. If you prime over the model, it should be fine.

You should probably pick up some Simple Green anyway-- any future stripping should probably be done with it instead of anything else you've got on hand-- it's a very mild chemical, whereas some of the other stuff (such as brake fluid) can be rather... less so. Besides, you can do your laundry with Simple Green if you can't find a better use for the stuff. :laugh:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, it should help me explain to my wife why i need to go to Canadian Tire again. :)

-Narik

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plastic, I haven't started painting my metal minis yet. The only reason i used brake fluid over simple green is because my friend absolutely swore for it. He told me it would take about 20 minutes to strip the model of the primer. 1 week later i'm still trying to strip the miniatures of all the primer. Seeing as he's the one who got me semi addicted to this game, i decided to trust his advice.

Oh well, simple green will be what i'll be using in the future, it's a bit safer when you've got a 1 year old who likes to take your keys and place them in the oven. Rule number 1 about being a new parent: Expect them to find everything.

I'm starting out with two assault on black reach marine sets. Unfortunately my paint scheme for my army, which is Angels Sanguine is better suited for a red rather than a black primer that he used, as his space marine army that he's trying to sell is are dark angels.

I just got my first shipment of my army yesterday actually. It's a pretty large list that will keep me painting consistantly for the next year. I was planning on doing a project log, and i finally found a cable for my camera so i can download the pictures of my finished minis.

Unfortunately i was short on a few items, but this is what I have so far to paint:
1 Dante
1 Mephiston
2 Land Raider Crusaders/reedeemers (Have 2 regular land raiders on the way)
4 Razorbacks (have 2 more coming)
3 Drop Pods (2 on the way)
2 Assault Terminator Boxes
4 Sanguinary Guard boxes (2 of these i'll be converting to honor guard.)
4 death company boxes
6 assault marine boxes
3 Furiso Dreads
3 Baal Preds
3 Regular preds
5 marines with Assault weapons (needed melta/plasma)
5 Sanguinary priests (2 for honor guard)
2 sets of marines from AOBR (Captains will be converted to champions in the honor guard, still working on shaving off all the ultramarine markings on the models.)

Got a lot on my plate as you can see, can't wait to start posting pictures.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Primer is very difficult if not impossible to strip completely. You're better off getting as close as possible and just priming over it again.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Primer is very difficult if not impossible to strip completely. You're better off getting as close as possible and just priming over it again.
I second this.

What you should do for a good priming solution is Simple green + Methylated Spirits.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Simple green (or dettol as it's known here in the uk) for plastics, and then thinners for metal models. Thinners really does take everything off metal models, and works in minutes. Simple green you leave for about a day and it comes off nice and clean. Any less time it comes off a bit, but the paint becomes sticky and you have sticky tanks! Never a good thing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts