Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 379 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My bro and I often play this game, and it can have hilarious consequences.

The game is as follows, search ebay or google for models which claim to be "pro-painted", laugh your arse off, then share...

·
Registered
191 Posts

"pro painted you say" and it was priced at $75 HAHA NOPE

\
this was $80

oh the wonderful world of ebay

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I feel like this should be in the off-topic section, but I'll play!

This one makes me sad, the model and his story are really really good, but the paint doesn't do it justice. Should've thinned the paint a bit.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I saw that one too^^^^

anyone willing to pay $210 for a badly painted terminator?

·
Registered
992 Posts

"Pro-Painted" but not pro-photoed...the "ebay auction WTF" thread over on Warseer is a good source of questionably painted and priced models.

While not touted as pro-painted this wave serpent is described as "There is ALOT of time put into this model."...and way too many layers of paint...

and last, but not least this quality pro-painted noise marine squad (if I paid a six year old and called him a pro):

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
This is good. I can now state that my armies are pro painted. :grin: They are done to much the same standard.
Should net me a couple of million on ebay. Sweet.
On a more serious note I have had a couple of real surprises on ebay. At one stage I bought a squad of chaos marines and havocs on ebay for not much more than the retail price and they were very well done.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Saw several when I was trying to find an Angron model to buy off of ebay that were listed as pro painted. Well, you can figure out why that isn't exactly true since i'm posting here, but since the bids ended, I can't seem to find them. Believe me though, even I could paint Angron to a higher standard than some of the ones I saw. Still not going to paint him until I get better at the techniques though..... which might be a while.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
Ugh, I'd put unpainted minis on ebay before any of those things.

Seriously, if I saw something I wanted painted like that, I'd be telling them they'd have better luck stripping the model and selling it to someone who wants to paint it themselves (which I more often do). In the very least, you'd garner more respect this way.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
While not touted as pro-painted this wave serpent is described as "There is ALOT of time put into this model."...and way too many layers of paint...

What the hell. Too much going on with that one. Hurts the eye after a while.

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Its ugly as sin... but I kinda like it, got a bit of 'character' like a falling down cottage in the country. I just wouldn't want to own it :p

I've bought a few 'pro=painted' models in the past and then thrown them straight in the stripper... though you gotta admit some of teh pro stuff on there is just unbelievably good.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I've always found the pro-painters who suffer from small picture syndrome pretty funny.

They make a fuss about how good their work is then provide photo so small you need a microscope to see what it is, if you were that proud you'd put up a good photo, surely?

The other problem is that the term Pro Painted doesn't actually mean anything, when you consider that I've been paid to paint miniatures and I've done a fair few commission jobs for different people, I'm not an exceptional painter, never claimed to be but I wouldn't be lying if I posted up a miniature as pro painted.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

It is irritating

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
Found this one on ebay:

It's not a BAD paint job... but the dude is asking for $94.95 + $7.28 shipping for the fucker, not remotely worth it!

·
Registered
992 Posts
It's not a BAD paint job... but the dude is asking for $94.95 + $7.28 shipping for the fucker, not remotely worth it!
This is my issue with some of these. Unless it is a truly excellent paint job, in general a painted mini is less valuable to me than the unpainted one.

That "Harlequin" Wave serpent intrigued me until I saw the $100 asking price...I can buy a new one and coat it in too much paint for less than half that price.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I'm waiting for one of these guys who painted these to find this thread and be all like "HAY FUCK YOU GUISE I IS PRO!"
So am I tbh!

As soon as you label yourself as "Pro" you need to get a thicker skin. Just because one of your mates payed you 15 bucks to paint a mini of his does not make you a pro painter. There is a guy on TM at the moment selling some of his minis and he quotes the cost of the mini plus 20 bucks as a starting price for a paint job I could do. No. Unless you can paint like Xenobiotic I won't be paying you any more money for a painted mini than an unpainted one.

1 - 20 of 379 Posts