Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a additional thought for the Fire Prism. The prism cannon is descibed as consisting of two parts. The Crystal that focus and release the energy from a medium-powered laser that fires into the prism.
Now here is my thought;

If a fire prism sufferes a weapon destroyed to the prism cannon roll a d6. On a roll of 1-4 the whole turret or medium laser is destroyed and you have lost the prism cannon. On a roll of 5+ the prism itself is destroyed but the Medium laser and turret is not damaged. The fire prism can after this, instead of the prism cannon, fire the medium laser with the following profile.

Range 24" S6 Ap4 Heavy 2

A Little chance to save a bit of firepower befor the end. What do you Think?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I think doing that, sadly, would open up a huge can of worms, because from then on EVERY battle tank in ever faction would need to have a back up version of their weapon to operate.

Now, having that said, that I don't really know the stats on the Fire Prism because I'm not a tank player, but I'm sure if we started analyzing other armies and their vehicles, we'd find at least one other thank with only a single gun, at which point you'd need to give them the 'broken' version with their own stats. For instance, Space Marine Predators CAN have sponsons, but I don't believe they have to. Will you then give them a 'Multi-laser' version of their Lascannon turrets? Or suggest that only one barrel was damaged, so it's no longer twin-linked?

etc.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well first the Prism don't have only one weapon. We have the TL Catapult which can be upgraded to a Sh.Cannon. I have thought of other weaponsystems but havn't found any other that operates as the prism cannon. Twin-linked weapons are often welded together and it feels unlikly that only one barrel are destroyed if they are that Close together. And for your example, the Lascannon is not a multi-laser fired through a Lascannonbarrel.
If there are other weaponsystems you could add this to I would welcome it.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Well, you need to look at it from two sides.

Fluff: In that case, I can agree with you, but I can also say that by design it's probably such a delicate system that it would never be usable without the full device. If you LOOK at the bits for the Fire Prism's cannon, the smaller laser is actually fired side long into the prism. It's kind of like saying you could still use the ignition light on a flame thrower. It's not accurate as a weapon.

Rules: Fair is fair. If you do it for one race, you have to do it for others. Even if the fluff doesn't say the weapon works like that, you have to come up with an option that allows their main battle tanks to have the same recovery options, or increase the price on the Prism since they effectively have a chance to ignore a Weapon Destroyed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts