Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive been looking around for different ways to prime models. I tend to like doing just the normal spray primer but ive found that it takes too much to get the best effect (I live in south florida which means humidity is through the roof.) I have recently been seeing people using Gesso when priming their Minis' and i have to ask.

1: does anyone have experience with this method?
2: If yes what are some pros and cons?
3: what method did you prefer and why?

Im thinking this would be a good way to primer vehicles but id like some feedback on the ideas first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I'd watch what kind of gesso you use, because the stuff we use here at my college for canvases is super thick. Also, part of how we use it is to apply then sand it off for a smooth finish that will allow the paint to stick.
 

·
Critique for da CriticGod
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
While it does shrink that will more than lately lead to cracking not preservation of the detail.

Gesso is not just a primer and sealer it is used to make canvases impermeable to liquid and make them more rigid. It isn't necessary to sand it down, it all depends on how much texture you want on your canvas.

Gesso doesn't shrink so much that you could rely on that to make a canvas tight. Stretched properly, an artist world stretch the canvas as tight as they can, then run the canvas under hot water to both wash out the sizing and shrink the canvas. Then the canvas will be nice and tight and ready for gessoing.

I would not recommend using gesso on miniatures. Not one bit.

However, gesso is a great way to prime terrain. Gesso can hold a certain amount of texture, will make the terrain ready to accept paint, and will stiffen it and make it tougher. I'll often add pva glue to the mix, or add a layer of pva glue for hardness. But gesso is a great terrain tool, especially on foam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Where I live in AL it's hot/humid 85% of the year and the other 15% is cold. Niether are good spraying conditions. So I've been experimenting with ways that I can spray in my apartment without getting the residue every where (Note: If you are married, do NOT spray paint in the shower, even in a box, because everything will turn black and your wife will be PISSED). So I just ordered some stuff on Amazon to try out (link at bottom). I got a bottle of white and a bottle of black. Using my airbrush is easy to do in my apartment because I have a spray booth. Will let everyone know how that works.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AMB88R4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,694 Posts
I would not recommend using gesso on miniatures. Not one bit.

However, gesso is a great way to prime terrain. Gesso can hold a certain amount of texture, will make the terrain ready to accept paint, and will stiffen it and make it tougher. I'll often add pva glue to the mix, or add a layer of pva glue for hardness. But gesso is a great terrain tool, especially on foam.
This. Gesso is not a miniature primer. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive got both the black and white Airbrush primer but im still not comfortable enough to use them in priming the mores. (i may have a go with my vindicator this weekend just to test out. )

I know gesso is primarily an Artists medium but after seeing some results i find it hard not to take a look at. heres an example.



Click Here for some examples

I will in all likelyhood give it a go on terrain. Does it seal as well of is that what the PVA is for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't made up my mind as to wheter or not im going to give it a go. Im asking if anybody has already and what their experience with it was. Its not something id invest in without a bit of feedback from people who have actually done it. Otherwise its a waste of time and money that could be better used elsewhere.
@Loki416 This is also the same Stuff Jacobite uses i believe. and with good results if his Minotaurs are anything to go by.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,195 Posts
I tried it on a test model, glooped it on as you said. The stuff shrunk some but it was still a very heavy coat that obscured the details of the model. There is multiple people on the net that swear by the stuff but I find it to be more effort than it is worth. If I was wanting to seal styrofoam or other terrain bits then the shit would be amazing for that.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top