Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got an airbrush and I wondered if there was a way I could use it to prime models. I've searched around on forums and google and in most of the results I found it seems like people don't know the difference between basecoats and priming.

The Vallejo Model Air range has a paint color called "Gray Primer". I sent an email to Vallejo and got this reply:

Hi Keith,
It's not a real primer,just a color that matchs the grey color used in many
primers.
We developed a new acrlic poliurethane primer,
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/primers-gb.html
Regards
Alex

----- Original Message -----
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2010 9:49 AM
Subject: Model Air Gray Primer

>I wondered if the Gray Primer from the Model Air line of paints is an
>actual primer, or if that is just the name of a paint made to match the
>color of primer used on, for example, military vehicles for modeling
>purposes.
> In other words, is Vallejo Model Air Gray Primer formulated differently in
> some way than the other colors in the series to stick to the bare surface
> of a miniature or model better?

Reaper has one called "Brush on Primer" and it's listed with a brush-on sealer and a flow improver so it looks like that one is an actual real primer. Has anyone ever used this in an airbrush?

What about Gesso? What I found when searching was people who assumed that it would be too thick to run through the AB. Anyone ever try it?

Anything else I didn't think of?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong but does a primer helps paint 'stick' to a model whereas a basecoat changes the colour applied on top?

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
Yeah, pretty much. A primer does what it says on the tin, it primes the mini for painting. It gives the paint something to stick to, a nice solid base so the paint won't flake off.
A base coat is the first layer of paint you apply after the primer, it's the basis for a good colour finish and gives you depth and definition when used properly.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the one that vallejo have given you the link for would be ideal, those guys know there stuff when it comes to paint and you use it straight out of the bottle so no need to mix it.
Those are rattle cans (spraypaint). I wanted to use the airbrush so I wouldn't have to deal with conditions outdoors like humidity, temperature and darkness. The AB is also good at doing smooth, even, thin layers and getting into areas that are hard to hit with a spray can.

Has anyone tried the Reaper primer or Gesso in an airbrush?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I ordered some Reaper brush-on primers and tried this myself. Seems to work well, though I'm still trying to get the hang of thinning out paints to the right consistency for airbrushing.

If anyone is interested I could take a few pictures.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I use gesso as a brush-on primer. Gesso is really thick, and I prefer to thin it because it coagulates as it dries. It also covers up smaller details if you're not mindful of its application.

I don't have any airbrush experience so I wouldn't be able to recommend for/against it, but I imagine that if using it, you'd want to clean the airbrush immediately and thoroughly after use to prevent the gesso from clogging its insides.

Edit: my grammar is teh lolz0rz.

·
Painter in training
357 Posts
I have been wanting to try an airbrush for a while and was looking at the primer from Reaper. A lot of people claim the Reaper paint is superior to GW paint but to me they seem about the same... you just get more color choices out of Reaper.

Right now I am using Krylon black primer and a Krylon white primer to good effect. Until I can get the money together for a decent air compressor I will just have to stay with spray paint.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have been wanting to try an airbrush for a while and was looking at the primer from Reaper. A lot of people claim the Reaper paint is superior to GW paint but to me they seem about the same... you just get more color choices out of Reaper.

Right now I am using Krylon black primer and a Krylon white primer to good effect. Until I can get the money together for a decent air compressor I will just have to stay with spray paint.
Reaper and Vallejo are also less expensive than GW's paints, have more paint in each bottle, and have a dropper style bottle instead of the awful flip-top pots GW designs to waste paint so you have to buy more.

GW - $3.70 for 12ml = $0.30/ml

Reaper/Vallejo - $2.99 for 17ml = $0.17/ml

Just a little over half of GW's price and you get a better container.

I imagine that if using it, you'd want to clean the airbrush immediately and thoroughly after use to prevent the gesso from clogging its insides.
That's true for anything you run through an airbrush. I might try Gesso too just to see how it goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts