Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just began doing the base coat on some of my dark vengeance models and it sucked doing it by hand.If it were color i wouldn't mind because it's not as bland. My question is when it comes to the primer sprays, are the products offered by privateer press acceptable? Still new to actually painting so, i dont want a product that looks like garbo.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
Privateer press makes some good primers. I have found Rust-Oleum primer for plastic works just as good as anything GW or PP puts out in many colors and is cheaper. Krylon makes a good primer too also cheaper. I haven't bought a GW or PP primer in years since most Rust-oleum and krylon primers are like $5-$7 compared to GW for $17.

·
Closet Dictator
3,429 Posts
Currently I'm using cans of spray by The Army Painter which I find quite good but in the past I used non hobby branded sprays to good effect. Not being U.S based, I cant comment on whats available to you out there but I'd try out the ones @morfangdakka suggested

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sweet! My concern was that it may compromise the integrity of the models and what not. I worked in a paint department at a locomotive factory and they were real touchy about what paint you used where, yet they'd never teach you anything lol. I sure appreciate the help, fellas! Priming by hand was a pain in the d.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Privateer Press stuff will work fine as it is designed for use on miniatures anyway. If you are following a GW guide to paint DV, then it may be worth checking the GW spray range as they have sprays for most of the bases, though I'm sure you can get a very similar shade from PP at considerably less

·
Herald of The Warp
2,752 Posts
Honestly, having used PP, GW and AP (Army painter) primers, all of them are just fine - The only thing you should think about is:

a) Accessibility - Which s easiest for you to get
b) Colour - What brand sports the colour you want for your basecoats.

One thing I would recommend though, if you use an airbrush, is to never prime resin models with a airbrush. I have not had a good result with that, regardless of brand, and aircan primers just sticks better.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
Big fan of the Army Painter brand, I get them for ~$15 CAD and it has all the right shades. I've tried some different automotive primers but like the coverage on plastic/resin more from the AP stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The area in which I live is pretty lame, we have a walmart and a couple hardware stores, that's about it. I work about 20 minutes away, they have a couple hobby stores. one of which they have weekly warhammer and 40k games, but still not much demand for these products i guess. Someone had mentioned rustoleum for plastics, that would be easiest to get to. I reckon I could order some paint, but it always blows having to wait to do any more than what i've done. Sadness.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts