Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I just tend to use whatever basic flat spray paint is cheap at the hardware store.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Spray paint is pretty much the same wherever, it is more how you put it on the model and the conditions you do it in than the paint itself.

If it is really wet or windy then your results will be fairly bad. Holding the can too far or too close to the model can also impact performance.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I use this:

I put mine through an airbrush but you can paint it on as well. It's the tits, honestly I wouldn't use anything else these days, they make it in Black, White and Grey.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
@Jacobite:
Glad you said that. I've ordered the black and white ones to try out. Because of shipping (how long it takes, not price), went with the larger bottle. When you use it, do you thin it at all or is it just good to go?

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
No need to thin it even when you are putting it through the airbrush, just use it straight out of the bottle. I've basecoated upwards of probably 70 minis with the large bottle of black and it's still probably a little under half full.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I use Krylon indoor/outdoor primers...Personally I like Grey, but they do have black and white as well. The Krylon sprays give a good, even coverage and holds paint well.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
all you need is a good car primer, make sure you buy primer and not "paint", check out somewhere like halfords, avoid diy places like B&Q as they tend to be over priced and designed for "home" use which may or may not work well on plastic/metal/resin. car primer works well as its designed for metal/filler/plastics.

Or if its simply a matter of price, try and find a brand called "Modelmates" in hobby stores, im convinced its GWs primer but branded differently and its normally about half the price.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I'm not convinced about car primers. They seem to be a little too thick for my preference. I think they are designed to cover imperfections and not shrink over details in the same way that modeling primers works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not convinced about car primers. They seem to be a little too thick for my preference. I think they are designed to cover imperfections and not shrink over details in the same way that modeling primers works.

Do you just use the likes of army painter then or GW?

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
well i should have mentioned in my post that you should ofcourse do a test spray when buying anything spray related before you let loose on a model, personally i have not had an issue with car primers but then again i have been using them on and off for many many years and before GW came along with there own thats all we had or a brush and smelly primer.... anyway the key is to do it gently and dust the model not flood it, i have seen plenty of folks fuck up models with thin primer as i have with GWs own blend, the key is little and light and test before you commit.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
992 Posts
That's too bad. I have been using Krylon for years. Best aerosol primer on the market imo.

I may have to try one of the liquid primers Jacobite listed above, I have an airbrush that is woefully underused and my wife complains about the aerosol fumes (not sure she will be much happier with my air compressor, but that is just noise and I do most of my painting while she is out of the house.)

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Do you just use the likes of army painter then or GW?
I've never used army painter, but I may give it a go. The thing is GW is so readily available I don't see any problem using it. The amount the figures actually cost, the extra expense of the spray is not really a problem.

I have used Plasti-coat with mixed results. The black is passable, but the white is pretty poor and tends to obscure detail even when applied lightly.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
@Jacobite The ease, no mess, no smell of it means that I will never use a spray can again. I bought 200ml of white and black (havn't tried the white yet) and I have a feeling that it is going to last a very long time. This is something that I would recommend to everyone who has an airbrush to try out. Seriously, I've gotten some great coats of prime laid down with a spray can. But the coat that I get with this stuff is beyond compare.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts