Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
No, there isn't an official one (beside Deamon Angron, found in a WD).

Homebrew ones will differ vastly, as everyone has different opinions on how tough they should be. (The ones I started ages ago were 600 points. They were overcosted though, to balance the fact they were homebrews).

This was an example of Russes statline:
WS: 9
BS: 6
S: 7
T: 5
I: 7
W: 5
A: 4
Ld: N/A
Sv: 2+/3+

Others will have completely different veiws, and there are heaps on them on the net. Just have a search and see if you can find a homebrew you like :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Seeing as the Primarchs were said to be above space marines as space marines are above humans, it makes more sense to say that the Primarchs had the statline of

WS: 7
BS: 6
S: 5
T: 5
I: 6
W: 4
A: 4
Ld: 10
Sv: 2+/4+

Here's the logic. I think the stat-line for IG heroes runs like this WS:5 BS:4 S:3 T:3...
As the SM WS: BS: S: and T: stats max out one point higher than what I said for the IG hero, I figure they should max out one point higher than space marines for the Primarchs. Hence, WS of 7, BS of 6, S/T of 5... etc. Now, a BS of 6 isn't "roll a 1+ to hit with a gun". It's more in the event of any modifiers, or if the primarch is using any form of blast template where scatter is reduced by BS. Primarchs could pick what they were doing in any given situation above and beyond any current incarnation of Space Marine commander. So if Perturabo wanted to sit by a howitzer all day, pinging hole-in-one shots on a bastion to be conquered, he could. Provided that earthshakers allow you to reduce your scatter by the BS of the operator.

The wounds count isn't more than 4, because even the primarchs aren't that far above a space marine's anatomy. However, I figure they'd have a special rule to ignore instant death. Example: Angron in the Horus Heresy got pounded by an Earthshaker equivalent blast, buried in rubble and seconds later, burst forth from the crater (rose from the grave) as lively as ever. And it took the Emperor casting his compassion to the Warp for the Emperor to have the strength to kill Horus.

I gave them a 4+ invul on top of their 2+ armor save, because 2+/2+ would be unrealistic for warriors who have been removed from the battle as casualties (Horus himself, with a nurgle knife).

Special rules for them would include not taking instant death from anyone, being able to regenerate a lost wound in exchange for not moving (like, on a 4+ they recover a wound, one per turn, kinda thing). Also, army-effecting rules, such as: If a Primarch leads a space marine force, all allied space marines count as fearless. That effect would continue even if the Primarch fell in battle. Should he fall in battle (his wounds reduced to 0) all space marines in the battle gain preferred enemy against whatever faction killed their primarch, and the fleet special rule (they seek to recover their primarch, get him to the apothecaries, and ensure the threat to their primarch is destroyed).

And I've not seen official rules, even in the White Dwarf magazine, so, you have to make your own or steal somoene else's.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
The wounds count isn't more than 4, because even the primarchs aren't that far above a space marine's anatomy.
Actually, yes they are. Though space marines are superhuman, they key thing behind them is that they were human at one point and share similarities to human anatomy.

The primarchs, however, were never human at any point; it has even been noted that they share next to no similarities with humans or superhumans. Primarchs are like the Eldar or Orks when compared to humanity/space marines; they look similar but thats where similarity ends.

So it would be perfectly feasible for a primarch to have a wound statline greater than four. Hell some marine heroes have a wound counter of four, shouldn't a primarchs statline be above most or all marine heroes?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
My view of a primarch like Russ, Angron, or sang would Read something like so.
WS: 10
BS:7
S:7-8
T:7
I:7
W:6-7
Ld: autopass
Sv:2+/3+
and their special rules would be insane. Primarchs like the ones mentioned above were like young gods of war, nothing came close to them, not even the strongest of their marines could ever hope to come close to their might and skill.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'd make them have the 2d6 ap like monstrous creatures, but able to join squads and giving furious charge/fleet/counter attack. Maybe some sort of "Scion of the Emperor" type rule where all units less than leadership 10 within 12" must take a pinning test? "As the progeny of the Emperor approaches, naught but the most stalwart (or stupid) opponent may hope to succeed." Also, give the Primarch some sort of wargear that gives +1 wound for combat resolution, and the "His Firstborn Sons" rule, giving feel no pain to all squads within 24". Oh, and he gives his army "Favored Enemy" along the lines of the fluff. So like Orks for the Fists, or maybe just Chaos Daemons/Marines for all of them.

·
Registered
353 Posts
My view of a primarch like Russ, Angron, or sang would Read something like so.
WS: 10
BS:7
S:7-8
T:7
I:7
W:6-7
Ld: autopass
Sv:2+/3+
and their special rules would be insane. Primarchs like the ones mentioned above were like young gods of war, nothing came close to them, not even the strongest of their marines could ever hope to come close to their might and skill.
Primarchs were exceptionally tough,mighty, and skilled, but do you really think thats realistic? Hes a space marine, A very powerful one true, but he isnt a carnifex.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Here are my rules for Mortarion (sorry about the caps)
UNIT OR FORMATION: MORTARION
TYPE: MONSTEROUS CREATURE, INDEPENDENT CHARACTER
STRUCTURE POINTS: NONE
WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT: THE LANTERN, THE MANREAPER, FRAG BLIGHT AND KRAK GRENADES
CHAOS POWERS: NURGLES GIFT, WIND OF CHAOS
OPTIONS: None
UNIT STATS: WS:8 BS:6 S:8 T:9 W:6 I:6 A:5 Ld:10 Sv:2+ (3+)
UNIT OR FORMATION NAME: MORTARION, DAEMON PRIMARCH OF THE DEATH GUARD
WEAPONS RANGE STR 8 AP 2 SPECIAL PISTOL, GETS HOT

SPECIAL RULES: DAEMON PRINCE: MORTARION IS A DAEMON PRINCE IN ALL ASPECTS AND THUS BENEFITS FROM THE "ETERNAL WARRIOR" SPECIAL RULE

WINGED: MORTARION HAS DAEMONIC WINGS. SEE CODEX: CHAOS SPACE MARINES FOR DETAILS

PROPHET OF NURGLE: NURGLE'S FAVOR IN MORTARION HAS GRANTED HIM AN UNHOLY, GROTESQUE APPEARENCE. ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE SUFFER A -2 MODIFIER TO THEIR LEADERSHIP

NURGLE'S GIFT: MORTARION HAS THE SPELL NURGLES ROT, HOWEVER, HIS ROT IS MUCH MORE POWERFUL. WHEN CASTED ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE (EVEN FRIENDLY UNITS!) WITHIN 8 INCHES TAKE A STRENGTH 6 AP 4 HIT

REGENERATION: IF MORTARION HAS LOST A WOUND, HE MAY ATTEMPT TO REPAIR IT WITH A ROLL OF 5+. IF HE DOES CHOOSE TO ATTEMPT, HE MAY NOT MOVE OR SHOOT DURING THIS TURN

MANREAPER: MORTARION'S MANREAPER IS A DAEMON WEAPON IN ALL RESPECTS. IT ALSO COUNTS AS A FORCE WEAPON. SEE MANREAPER IN TYPHUS THE HERALD OF NURGLE IN CODEX: CHAOS SPACE MARINES

EXPERT CASTER: MORTARION CANNOT FAIL PSYKER TESTS ON HIS POWERS

FEEL NO PAIN: IF WOUNDED, ROLL A D6, ON A ROLL OF 4+ MORTARION DOES NOT TAKE THE WOUND AND KEEPS ON FIGHTING.

TIDE OF PESTILENCE: THIS CAN ONLY BE USED IF MORTARION IS BEING ASSAULTED. HE MAY NOT USE ANY PSYKER POWERS OR ATTACKS IN DEFENSE, IF THIS IS CHOSEN, ALL MODELS IN BASE TO BASE CONTACT WITH MORTARION TAKE 2 STRENGTH 8 ATTACKS THAT IGNORE ARMOR SAVES.

And another set
WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT: THE LANTERN, THE MANREAPER, FRAG BLIGHT AND KRAK GRENADES
CHAOS POWERS: NURGLE'S GIFT(SEE BELOW), WIND OF CHAOS,
UNIT STATS: WS:7 BS:5 S:7 T:7(8) W:6 I:6 A:4* Ld:10 Sv:2+ (4+)
WEAPONS RANGE: Lantern STR 8 AP 2 MASTERCRAFTED PISTOL, GETS HOT

SPECIAL RULES:

DAEMON PRINCE: MORTARION IS A DAEMON PRINCE IN ALL ASPECTS AND THUS BENEFITS FROM THE "ETERNAL WARRIOR" SPECIAL RULE

WINGED: MORTARION HAS DAEMONIC WINGS. SEE CODEX: CHAOS SPACE MARINES FOR DETAILS

PROPHET OF NURGLE: NURGLE'S FAVOR IN MORTARION HAS GRANTED HIM AN UNHOLY, GROTESQUE APPEARENCE. ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE IN LoS SUFFER A -2 MODIFIER TO THEIR LEADERSHIP

NURGLE'S GIFT: MORTARION HAS THE SPELL NURGLES ROT, HOWEVER, HIS ROT IS MUCH MORE POWERFUL. WHEN CASTED ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE WITHIN 8 INCHES TAKE A STRENGTH 5 AP 4 HIT

MANREAPER: MORTARION'S MANREAPER IS A DAEMON WEAPON IN ALL RESPECTS. IT ALSO COUNTS AS A FORCE WEAPON. SEE MANREAPER IN TYPHUS THE HERALD OF NURGLE IN CODEX: CHAOS SPACE MARINES

EXPERT CASTER: MORTARION CAN ONLY FAIL HIS PSYKER TEST ON A ROLL OF 11-12

FEEL NO PAIN: IF WOUNDED, ROLL A D6, ON A ROLL OF 4+ MORTARION DOES NOT TAKE THE WOUND AND KEEPS ON FIGHTING.

TIDE OF PESTILENCE: THIS CAN ONLY BE USED IF MORTARION IS BEING ASSAULTED. HE MAY NOT USE ANY PSYKER POWERS OR ATTACKS IN DEFENSE, IF THIS IS CHOSEN, ALL MODELS IN BASE TO BASE CONTACT WITH MORTARION TAKE 2 STRENGTH 7 ATTACKS THAT IGNORE ARMOR SAVES.

The first set is Apocalypse
the second is for reg games.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Here are my rules for Mortarion (sorry about the caps)
CHAOS POWERS: NURGLES GIFT, WIND OF CHAOS
UNIT STATS: WS:8 BS:6 S:8 T:9 W:6 I:6 A:5 Ld:10 Sv:2+ (3+)
WEAPONS RANGE STR 8 AP 2 SPECIAL PISTOL, GETS HOT

SPECIAL RULES: DAEMON PRINCE: MORTARION IS A DAEMON PRINCE IN ALL ASPECTS AND THUS BENEFITS FROM THE "ETERNAL WARRIOR" SPECIAL RULE

PROPHET OF NURGLE: NURGLE'S FAVOR IN MORTARION HAS GRANTED HIM AN UNHOLY, GROTESQUE APPEARENCE. ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE SUFFER A -2 MODIFIER TO THEIR LEADERSHIP

NURGLE'S GIFT: MORTARION HAS THE SPELL NURGLES ROT, HOWEVER, HIS ROT IS MUCH MORE POWERFUL. WHEN CASTED ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE (EVEN FRIENDLY UNITS!) WITHIN 8 INCHES TAKE A STRENGTH 6 AP 4 HIT

REGENERATION: IF MORTARION HAS LOST A WOUND, HE MAY ATTEMPT TO REPAIR IT WITH A ROLL OF 5+. IF HE DOES CHOOSE TO ATTEMPT, HE MAY NOT MOVE OR SHOOT DURING THIS TURN

EXPERT CASTER: MORTARION CANNOT FAIL PSYKER TESTS ON HIS POWERS

TIDE OF PESTILENCE: THIS CAN ONLY BE USED IF MORTARION IS BEING ASSAULTED. HE MAY NOT USE ANY PSYKER POWERS OR ATTACKS IN DEFENSE, IF THIS IS CHOSEN, ALL MODELS IN BASE TO BASE CONTACT WITH MORTARION TAKE 2 STRENGTH 8 ATTACKS THAT IGNORE ARMOR SAVES.

And another set
CHAOS POWERS: NURGLE'S GIFT(SEE BELOW), WIND OF CHAOS,
UNIT STATS: WS:7 BS:5 S:7 T:7(8) W:6 I:6 A:4* Ld:10 Sv:2+ (4+)
WEAPONS RANGE: Lantern STR 8 AP 2 MASTERCRAFTED PISTOL, GETS HOT

SPECIAL RULES:

DAEMON PRINCE: MORTARION IS A DAEMON PRINCE IN ALL ASPECTS AND THUS BENEFITS FROM THE "ETERNAL WARRIOR" SPECIAL RULE

PROPHET OF NURGLE: NURGLE'S FAVOR IN MORTARION HAS GRANTED HIM AN UNHOLY, GROTESQUE APPEARENCE. ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE IN LoS SUFFER A -2 MODIFIER TO THEIR LEADERSHIP

NURGLE'S GIFT: MORTARION HAS THE SPELL NURGLES ROT, HOWEVER, HIS ROT IS MUCH MORE POWERFUL. WHEN CASTED ALL UNITS WITHOUT THE MARK OF NURGLE WITHIN 8 INCHES TAKE A STRENGTH 5 AP 4 HIT

EXPERT CASTER: MORTARION CAN ONLY FAIL HIS PSYKER TEST ON A ROLL OF 11-12

TIDE OF PESTILENCE: THIS CAN ONLY BE USED IF MORTARION IS BEING ASSAULTED. HE MAY NOT USE ANY PSYKER POWERS OR ATTACKS IN DEFENSE, IF THIS IS CHOSEN, ALL MODELS IN BASE TO BASE CONTACT WITH MORTARION TAKE 2 STRENGTH 7 ATTACKS THAT IGNORE ARMOR SAVES.

The first set is Apocalypse
the second is for reg games.
No offence. But that is just ridiculous. You dont even need a frigging army with this guy. Take him and throw your mandatory troops out. 5 chaos marins x2 for 1k. You win.

I understand they should be powerful but IMO they should be more of a "We dont want to fail daddy" Kind of army buffer than eating everything brave enough to cross it. The above unit would gladly rip a avatar of Khaines head off, then shove it a Nightbringers throat.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
First off, he isn't a space marine. He is far more than a marine. They are mortal gods capable of fighting off titans. The stat line I set forth is realistic for Russ/Sang/Angron, who were said the be the greatest fighters. Second, they could rip a frexes head off with their thumb and index fingers.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah in the FLUFF, and in the fluff the nightbringer is a god as well. But its not that powerful now is it? If you want to get your basis for stats from the horus heresy books then by all means, but does that then mean that I get mine from the tyranid Dex fluff decriptions on carnifexs? So then its basically this, all stats are 10. if you get within 3 inches it instantly eat you and your removed from play. Fair right? Because the fluff said so.

·
Registered
825 Posts
check out the Tempus Fugitives site. http://www.tempusfugitives.co.uk/

These guys have been running a campaign for a couple of years now taking over GW HQ for a weekend every 6 months or so for massive events. They are currently running the Horus Heresy as a campaign and have made rules for all the primarchs.

Jump on their forum and ask around. Stu Mackaness who runs the events can probably sort a you a set of rules for them. If not I have the campaing rules packs "somewhere" around here. I'll try and have a look for them.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Yeah in the FLUFF, and in the fluff the nightbringer is a god as well. But its not that powerful now is it?
Huh, wait aren't they removing the C'tan from the necron codex when they revise it; you know so they can add them elsewhere and make them even more powerful?

If you want to get your basis for stats from the horus heresy books then by all means, but does that then mean that I get mine from the tyranid Dex fluff decriptions on carnifexs? So then its basically this, all stats are 10.
Wait a minute, lets look at this for a moment. From what I can remember, a carnifex is neither the most intellegent or quickest of thinkers so initiative 10 doesn't really make sense rules or fluff wise. Now carnifex's are definitely monstrous beings capable of going through damned near everything, but they aren't the fastest thing out there so 10 attacks also does not make sense when you honestly think about it. Lets not forget that a carnifex is mostly this lumbering monster, not some massive gun toting sniper thing; I'd be inclined to think that ballistic skill 10 makes no sense either.

Now weapon skill 10, that would be cool but isn't weapon skill a measure of, for the most part, your finesse in hitting your opponent. Something a lumbering monster making broad swipes isn't as capable of doing? Strength 10 isn't so bad, isn't it strength 9 anyway? Toughness and wounds at 10, those actually sound apropriate considering what this fucker is; willing to bet you don't see them that high out of sheer fairness.

Not for nothing, but this feels like whining; people recognize that primarchs are more than just powerful things, they are unique demi-gods, some of which have done things to back this up (Russ destroying a titan on his own, Magnus ripping a hole from the warp into the webway and then reality) and so you go on about how your less than unique monster should be epicly powerful.

I'm not saying something like that Mortarion is good, don't get me wrong. Keep in mind though that primarchs are to space marines what space marines are to humans. This concept is harder to realize in regular 40k, but look at it from the point of view of something like inquisitor. Its on a 0-100 scale, the average strength and toughness for your trained soldier is 50-60 whereas the average strength and toughness of a space marine is 200-250. Roughly four or five times that of a normal soldier.

So if a primarch is to a marine what a marine is to a man, in the case of inquisitor it might be safe to assume that a primarch has strength or toughness in the range of 500-600 at least. Hell in inquisitor a carnifex is likely to be something similar, so going with that I'd say keep a primarchs average statline in line with that of a carnifex. (Well BS and I would go up.) Thats just what I think though.

if you get within 3 inches it instantly eat you and your removed from play. Fair right? Because the fluff said so.
Alright so you know how up above I said something about whining, well this sounds like that with a bit of bitching heaped on top. I mean there is arguing, there is trying to make sense of things, and then there is being childish or unreasonable.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Yeah in the FLUFF, and in the fluff the nightbringer is a god as well. But its not that powerful now is it? If you want to get your basis for stats from the horus heresy books then by all means, but does that then mean that I get mine from the tyranid Dex fluff decriptions on carnifexs? So then its basically this, all stats are 10. if you get within 3 inches it instantly eat you and your removed from play. Fair right? Because the fluff said so.
A frex has the proper rules for it's fluff, it isn't anything really special. The nightbringer is a cc beast and is only the avatar of the god, not the actual star god. A primarch, if we went totally by fluff would be unbeatable. The stat line I gave is reasonable considering it was meant for the strongest, toughest, and most skilled cc primarchs. The points would also be around 700 for each.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
Honestly, what the fuck is a frex anyway? Is it some special kind of fex or something?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
What I like to call a carnifex. Idk why, force of habit I suppose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts