Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
The Grey knights sacrificed a company to banish Angron for 1000 years back to the warp during the first war for Armageddon. At this time, the Grey Knights were not like the Space Marine Chapter they are presented as in todays fluff. They were a lot more elite, and a lot fluff-wise, stronger.

Angron was joined by a dozen Bloothirsters as his personal retinue.

However, this was 4 editions ago. With the new information regarding the Primarch's abilities, and the Grey Knights as well, I find it hard to imagine exactly how the Grey Knights were able to pull this off.

Considering the fluff of how powerful Bloodthirsters are, the maths do not really support it - a Bloodthirster would only be able kill 7-8 Grey Knights before dying. Just doesn't make sense. And the fact that Angron is just so powerful as well. It's an old outdated piece of fluff that people like to bring up to verify how powerful their army is.

Consider that during the Heresy, for example, Angron was capable as a human of wiping out entire company sized units (a company in 30K was around 500-1000 marines, most of them in excess of 200 years old, and veterans of the Great Crusade, being taught by those who have learned from the Primarch's teachings if not personally, then by those who most likely did - in other words, about as capable as the normal space marine chapter veterans as the standard line trooper). The Iron Hands lost an entire company described as being 1000 strong to the presence of a simple daemon. The fluff that 13 of the greatest soldiers in Khorne's followers short of An'ggrath or Ka'Bandha were cut down by a measly 100 space marines doesn't ring true.

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
I'll have to dig out a few books. Mostly within the Heresy novels - Betrayer mainly, but Galaxy in Flames is another one of where he takes a role in the combat. I've not read that in a while. I know that's not exactly the proof you wish, but it's all I can offer at the minute. I will make note that this is during conflicts where he would have his legions at his "back" - although was it Betrayer where it detailed the fight with Russ? IIRC, he was able to cut himself a path to Russ, but because his legion fought their personal battles rather than commiting to the objective, they would have seen Angron killed, even if Russ had been killed.

In regards to the IH fluff, it's in the Damnation of Pythos. I personally believe it's a complete PoS novel, and for all the novel cared about, there might as well have been a half dozen Iron Hands, as there's no sense of larger legion operations - although it was mentioned that an entire company in excess of 1000 marines all told were lost.

I originally thought about that - but if all it took would be 8 Grey Knights (it's not clear if they were all Terminators or not) to kill Angron, who is one of, if not the greatest, of all of Khornes followers, then all it would take is a combat squad of grey knights to cut through a full fledged warp tear.

· Premium Member
12,822 Posts
Faulty old memory not working apparently. And it's been a long while since I've read the Emperor's Gift, might have to dig it out again...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.