Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm buying my IG soon. It would be my first army. But I don't know if it's because I don't have enought knowledge about the GW games, but Fantasy look like it's way less expensive. Don't get me wrong I'm going 40k all the way., but just a tought that I'm sharing.

·
Registered
995 Posts
You're right. Fantasy is cheaper. But not as cheap as Necromunda! Play Necromunda!
But seriously, fantasy is cheaper. It didn't used to be that way.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Depending on the build you take, IG can be one of the most expensive armies if you go off straight price. at minimum, you need 3 officers blisters and 3 boxes of troops. Space marines can get away with 1 command and 1 box of troops to just fill the FOC

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
you get more models in a fantasy box than a 40k box but armies are bigger in fantasy eg a 1000pt fantasy army could be twice the size of a 1000pt 40k army so they balance out

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
I play both and spent enough on both hobbies to wonder sometimes what the heck I was thinking. But even than compared to some other people its nothing. The cost thing really depends on the army both in 40k and fantasy. If the army you want to play is in the starter set you can save quite a bit of money right off the bat. If not than it can cost more. Like above said, guard armies can get pretty expensive.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I looked in to playing IG a little while ago. I felt the coolest IG army was similar to one on GW's site. It has 120 troops, and the amount of firepower would cut down pretty much anything I played. However, when I looked at prices I realized the army would cost about 500 dollars. There is no way I'm paying 500 for a 1500 point force. But on further research, I found a set selling 120 troops, 6 heavy weapons teams, and a command squad for only 325 dollars on the GW store site. Although I decided not to play guard, if I did I would definetly buy that set.:)

·
Registered
995 Posts
ebay is your friend. GW is the "deh-beel." Any time you can stick it to the man, man!

·
Banned
280 Posts
Suggestion, convert your own officers. It's not too hard providing you stick with the usual gear.

As for first buys.

2 Infantry boxes (40 men all told)
1 Chimera
1 Heavy Weapons box set (one with 3 teams)

That will give you, provided you convert your own officers, 1 HQ Command Platoon, 1 Infantry Platoon, 1 Armoured fist squad, and the heavy weapons to equip them with (provided you're not afraid to convert, you can get 15 heavy weapons out of that one box).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hmm I suppose that is a good setup...:biggrin: I do the same thing with my heavy weapon teams. No two are alike. lol

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
That is what I would suggest for a starter. I have already converted spare parts into officers already from the leftover tank bits.

·
Premium Member
2,512 Posts
eff eff ess. get the battleforce! 40 men, 3 HW teams and a russ! for £50!

and sink, it depends on the box.

cccp is right, they cost about the same, depends on the army. fantasy is generally played at a higher points level.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I play both but I lucked into an Empire deal ($75 for 2000 points, the dex and the fantasy rule book) and have added another 50 into it. If you have patience keep an eye out on Ebay and other trading sites.

Another option if you want to play IG you can cut your costs at the start by getting into the whichhunter or deamon hunters to start and then ally IG into them.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I could never afford to play both. I've been collecting DA for two years and I only have around 1500 points. How some of you guys have only been playing for a few months and have like 4000 points is simply beyond me.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Battle Bunker auctions. ebay. Gamer forums. You can usually get what you want without having to pay full price

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ways to keep the price down.

plastic

convert standard troopers into hvy and officers. Plastic helps here also.

Dollar stores are great. I have many ork and squat vehicles that started as dollar store toys.

McDonald's toys. Don't laugh, they are a great resource for bits and for LEDs.

Different company's minis. Imperial guard can be represented by 28mm WWII minis. Try Black Tree Design.

For vehicles, if the footprint is the same and the weapons are close, than it works for "counts as".

Different army. GW has released many boxed sets for the different editions.

2nd edition had Marines and Orks.
3rd edition had Marines and Dark Elder.

Older players might have some of this gathering dust and will give or sell cheap.

Convert fantasy figs to 40k.

Make tanks out of folded cardboard. Just get the footprint the same.

Scratch build tanks from plastic card.

Start small. 40k is really best between 1k and 2k.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts