Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted clarification on Precision shots, as I have just realised I may have been doing it wrong all this time. I know you roll to hit and rolls of a 6 allow you to allocate to who you want in the unit. But at which point do you do this?

The way I have always done it is that after rolling to hit I then allocate and roll o wound against those models, so if in a unit majority toughness 4, but I precision shot against a toughness 5 model, I roll against toughness 5 to wound and then they get to make their saves. And also meaning that if I get 5 precision shots, I put say 3 on one model an roll to wound and 2 on another model, and then after the models die they become normal wounds.

Or do you create a seperate pile of dice that hit with precision shots, roll to wound against majority toughness with that pile too (along with all other hits) and then allocate one at a time to who you want the precision strikes to hit. e.g. if I get 5 wounding precision shots against a unit with 2 special weapons I keep making one special weapon take saves from precision shots until it fails and then allocate to the next special weapon?

·
Registered
325 Posts
After you've rolled to hit take any 6's and declare who they have hit, roll to wound them on that/those individual models toughness as if he/they were not even in a squad, take saves as normal then roll to wound on the rest of the squad with the remaining hit rolls using the average toughness. At least that's how my friends and I play

·
Registered
1 Posts
The rule from the rule book only changes wound allocation. The majority toughness it still used to determine if the hits wound. We can tell this by reading the rule, CRB pg 63, Precision Shots paragraph.

Wounds from Precision Shots are allocated against a model (or models) of your choice in the target unit, as long as it is in range, rather than following the normal rules for Wound allocation.
Notice how it states that wounds are allocated again a target of the shooters choice, not the hit?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, because the things that made me question the way I was doing it was the fact that you allocate wound not hits, so surely you have to have rolled to wound first?

·
Registered
466 Posts
you were right thinking you were wrong!!
1-Roll to hit
2-Roll to wound vs majority T (keep precision shots on their own pile)
3-Allocate wounds 1 at time following the normal rules for regular wounds while allocating precision wounds yourself (remember that you choose which wounds get resolved first)

Ie: Unit A has a melta marine as the closest model, a combimelta sarge as the third, 5 marines and then a t3 2 wounds inquisitor far far and away.
You shoot them with a GK grand master with psycannon and roll 2 precision hits and 2 regular ones, then you roll 1 rending and 1 regular wound with each kind of hit: you scored 4 wounds, each one is different from the others and you choose the order so:
1-regular ap2 wound on melta marine first, he dies
2-precision ap2 wound on sarge, he fail LoS and dies
3-regular ap4 on the closest marine, he fail armor and die
4-precision ap4 on inquisitor who fails LoS and instadie from str6

5-...that was some crazy lucky shooting lol

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks will keep that in mind for next time then, it also speeds up the whole process too :)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah and I generally spend longer than I shoud phaffing if I am actually oing to use any precision shots :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts