Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you say this in the wrong section Im using blood angels rules for the PH WE. I have made 2 lists both using the theme of landing right in the enemies faces with deepstriking, these are meant to be fluffy but effective.

List 1:
Kharn the grim (astorath)

10 Death Company
-3 Power Fists
-Drop Pod
-Locator Beacon

10 Assault Marines
-2 Meltas
-Power Fist/BP
-Drop Pod

10 Assault Marines
-2 Flamers
-Power Fist/BP
-Drop Pod
-Combat Shield
-Locator Beacon

10 Assault Marines
-2 Meltas
-Power Fist/BP

10 Assault Marines
-2 Flamers
-Power Fist/BP
-Combat Shield

List 2:
1 Captain
-Jump Pack
-Thunder Hammer
-Storm Bolter

1 Brother Corbulo

10 Death Company
-2 Power Fists
-Drop Pod
-Locator Beacon

9 Assault Marines
-Melta
-Power Fist/Infurnis Pistol
-Drop Pod
-Locator Beacon

10 Assault Marines
2 Flamers
-Power Fist/BP
-Drop Pod
-Locator Beacon

10 Assault Marines
-2 Meltas
-Power Fist/BP

10 Assault Marines
-2 Flamers
-Power Fist/BP

As I said they are both aggressive lists and which one would you say is better and if there are any improvements I could do on them for better fluff or actual army :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
One more drop pod so you get to land four turn one? Or one fewer pods so you are less reliant on reserves rolls (same number land on turn one with five as with six).

I must say I like the proliferation of powerfists: suits WE.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its two different lists by the way ;). Well i was thinking of replacing all the assault marines with death company all in pods except a 6ish man squad with jump packs for astorath

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh the beacons were to take up some points and also help my assault marines surviving the deepstrike, im a demon player ive lost too much to mishap...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
decent idea. i would drop the DC. for their points you could get a lot more for your list, not to mention if they drop pod in they can't assault the turn they can come, and IIRC Astorath can't ride with them, since his jump pack is welded to his armor and can't remove it.

a lot of players get caught up on the idea that Astorath = "I MUST take Death Company" which is crap, since while DC have amazing abilities, RAS squads and certainly Vanguard squads are more useful.

don't take combat shields even if you're making up points. they utterly suck, unless you consider yourself lucky.

good hunting.

·
Registered
297 Posts
oh the beacons were to take up some points and also help my assault marines surviving the deepstrike, im a demon player ive lost too much to mishap...
You have Descent of Angels? What do you think about changing the beacons for (more) models/gear?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good points so revised lists im also toying with the idea of having DC lists
well tbh they will only have more blood painted on them when the army is done so things can be used as different things.

List 1:
1 Kharn the grim (Astorath)

10 Death Company
2 Thunderhammers
3 Power Weapons
Drop Pod

10 Assault Marines
2 Meltas
Power Fist/BP
Drop Pod

10 Assault Marines
2 Flamers
Power Fist/BP
Drop Pod

10 Assault Marines
2 Meltas
Power Fist/BP

10 Assault Marines
2 Flamers
Power Fist/BP

List 2. Oh its suddenly become a Death Company list :grin: :
1 Kharn the grim (Astorath)

1 Chaplain
Powerfist

10 Death Company
2 Power Fists
Drop Pod

10 Death Company
2 Power Fists
Drop Pod

9 Death Company
Power Fist
Drop Pod

7 Death Company
Jump packs
Power Fist
Power Weapon

BTW these lists are meant to be fluffyish so the death company are use for the very bloodthirsty guys

·
Registered
990 Posts
Seriously? Drop the Drop Pods.

Here is why, IMO.

1) According to what little fluff we have, Pre Heresy World Eaters had the following Assault Squads;

Kaarg
Skhran
Fleiste
Gharte
Stolle
Harle
Karst
Wrack
Lhorke
Korst
Sargh

and Berzerker squad: Wrathe

Most, except the Berzerker Squad, are depicted in Visions of Heresy (which is artistic license although considered pretty much cannon & fluff) as having Jump Packs - Pre Heresy Jump Packs.

http://www.maxmini.eu/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=12&products_id=49

Whilst they did use Drop Pods The Horus Heresy books tell us that so did pretty much every other Legion, and I imagine you want something that is more... 'specific'? Jump Packs give this IMO.

2. Codex: BA gives you a) Descent of Angels, b) Jump Packs available to pretty much everyone/thing.

3. Drop Pod armies don't work very well IMO. I'm not saying don't do it but I got bored of that kind of army very quickly.

Also, if you use Astorath as counts as (like I do for my Pre Heresy WEs) then you don't have to go with Kharn if you don't want to, I know he was captain of the 8th Assault Company but I've never read or seen art of him with a Jump Pack, the following are other Captains/Officers;

Varren, Argus Brond, Ehren Gak, Ehrlen, Skraal, Gheer, Kunnar, Anchez, Hyazn, Vanche, Shinnargen, Dreagher, Jareg, Horzt

Just my thoughts :)

If you do want to go with Drop Pods then I would follow the good Inquisitor's advice.

Good luck!
Dallas

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@dallas - Well thanks for the names of squads and captains. I was using Astorath as Kharn as I didnt know the names of other officers. How did you know these?

Im using the 3 drop pods as it leaves me with more on the table on turn 1 also because a pod is cheeper than jump packs for DC, however the 2 JP units gives me the menouverability but i might just ditch all but the DC pod as it gets them there asap.

·
Registered
990 Posts
http://www.throneofskulls.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=455

Visions of Hersesy & the old Horus Heresy cards from a game that was around all have names & pics etc, I'll PM you a link to something that will prove invaluable for your fluff etc.

At 1500 points Astroath is too expensive, he doesn't buff a DC army much & he doesn't really fit in a drop pod army. A Reclusiarch can do the same job & he can pod in with a unit of DC. As for the tactics, if you're sold on DC in pods then you've got to take some DC Dreads; I would aim for 5 pods, make 2 of them DC & 3 DC Dreads, you also need something fast to respond so Landspeeders fit perfectly, as a non competitive fluffy purely for fun list, I'd go with something like this;

Reclusiarch

9 DC
- Fist
- Power weapon
- Pod

10 DC
- Fist
- Power weapon
- Pod

DC Dread
- Pod with beacon

DC Dread
- Pod with beacon

DC Dread
- Pod with beacon

Land Speeder
- M.Melta/H.Flamer

Land Speeder
- M.Melta/H.Flamer

Land Speeder
- M.Melta/H.Flamer

Idea is the pods with beacons come in on turn 1 & then guide the rest of the army down without scatter, it also makes the pods a distraction since the Landspeeders will use them to drop right down close otherwise. Obviously normal anti-drop pod tactics will hurt (like your opponent reserving everything, but at least with this approach you can stagger your attack). With the last 150 points I'd either grab a scoring unit (heh) or grab something like a Librarian (PH:WE did have them) for psychic defence :biggrin:

Dallas

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ERm thats not a legal list... its 0-1 DC without astorath. Also im not so keen on dreds and speeders :/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts