Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now for Space marines getting MK1 Rhinos off ebay is quite simple, getting MK1 predtors is do-able, MK1 Land raiders is possible and they all look different enough from the "modern" versions to make your army look that little more Pre Heresy.

But my issue is with the Imperial army, weather they had Leman russ' and Chimeras back then aside, using them wouldn't make your force look any different from every cadian army this side of Mars.

So my question is, dose any one know of any other Sci-fi tanks on the market that could pose as Pre heresy Imperial army vehicles or of any way of changing the existing tanks to make them look like a differnt pattern. wheels on a chimera for example?

Chears

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do you actually find the old style models pleasing to look at or is this simply just to look as "pre-heresy" as possible?

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
Re style tanks to look more like the malcador which is a confirmed pre heresy tank. The thing is the leman russ is a pre heresy design i believe. Indeed its design is very similar to the malcador in many ways. The new Leman russ kit is a bit more sleek and sophisticated than the old kit. Stick with the old ones and take some cues from the malcador and it should look pretty good. The chimera is a tricky one. I am not sure about its age. Will have to check Imperial armor vol 1.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you actually find the old style models pleasing to look at or is this simply just to look as "pre-heresy" as possible?
Yeah, I do like alot of the old models, thats not to say i think there better than the new ones. Theres good and bad things about all of them but i think what draws me most to the old models is nostalgia. They remind me of an age when you could go into a GW as a hobbist and have fun, rather than now, just another customer.

Any way i digress. thats the problem isn't it, knowing which tanks have been around that long. Most heresy writings are about the space marines which is good in away but leaves alot to guess work if you wanted to do another force Pre heresy.

I'll look into malacdors, thou I hope something cheaper rears its head :grin:

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
considering there are XXXIII marks of the leman russ according to imperial armour, and they stretch back thousands of years, its not that hard to imagine limited numbers being around at that time, they have a phaeton pattern in the book being dated into service at M38, and it might be safe to assume there one of the higher marks, around the 30's perhaps.

so marks 1's or 2's might of been around then.

dunno about Chimeras, they have marks II-XI, and a mark IV being marked as M38, so they might be allot newer, or the design might be allot older.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Dont forget that pre-heresy the imperial army had access to land raiders.
The Malcador was superceded by the russ so maybe very limited numbers of russes.
Dont forget that the hellhound STC was recovered post heresy and so could not be fielded at all.

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
While I hate to plug their products, because they're violating all sorts of trademarks and one of these days, Games Workshop is going to mushroom stamp them with their legal department, Chapterhouse Studios makes a conversion kit for the current MkIIb Rhino chassis to make it look a bit more like the original Rhino kit.

You can check it out here: http://chapterhousestudios.com/webs...ypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=60&category_id=4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts