Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If in the event GW were considering re-doing the aesthetics of marine power armor, would you prefer a more angular, streamlined modern scifi look to the marines or would you rather stick with the current hulking, rounded behemoth sort of look? Just a simple question, no real need to go too in-depth on this one, but if you would prefer the former, maybe you could provide examples of what you would be looking at. Anyway, thanks in advance for your answers.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
I think instead of spending the time redoing models they should put those efforts into making more chapter oriented conversion packs available. There's a lot to begin with, but it would be cool to see that developed instead of making totally new marines.

Plus I don't know how well the fluff fans would take it. Maybe there's a new STC found? I dunno.

Or they could put the effort in to revamping their xenos lines, or ANY other army. I get that SM are their best sellers, but other things can sell good too if you have cool enough stuff for them.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I like the aesthetic as it is, the chunky blunt force trauma approach appeals to me and is one of the things that keeps me coming back for more. They just look right in comparison to other armies and everything fits together well, except the Tau, they look out of place to my mind, but that's a whole other argument.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I like the aesthetic as it is, the chunky blunt force trauma approach appeals to me and is one of the things that keeps me coming back for more. They just look right in comparison to other armies and everything fits together well, except the Tau, they look out of place to my mind, but that's a whole other argument.
I get what you're saying, or at least I believe I do; older armies have something that at least harkens back to an earlier scifi that I suppose you could say if isolated western feel to them, where as the tau have that sort of more models western/eastern scifi blend to them which is cleaner and more angular. They're (tau) more a baby of the 2000's, so they look somewhat odd by comparison. That about right?

On modification of the marine armor, if they were to make it more angular/modern, they would likely need to modify all of the armies to to avoid turning the marine armies into the Waldo's of the Imperium, wouldn't they? Something I didn't originally consider, though its sorta glaringly obvious now that I think about it.

I think instead of spending the time redoing models they should put those efforts into making more chapter oriented conversion packs available. There's a lot to begin with, but it would be cool to see that developed instead of making totally new marines.

Plus I don't know how well the fluff fans would take it. Maybe there's a new STC found? I dunno.

Or they could put the effort in to revamping their xenos lines, or ANY other army. I get that SM are their best sellers, but other things can sell good too if you have cool enough stuff for them.
I don't suppose they would really need to justify it fluff wise if it was simply an art direction change, though I suppose that would depend on how anal retentive the fluff-nuts were going to be.

I would agree to that, though this is more of a hypothetical "what gunna look purdier" sort of deal than a mass plea for change in the art direction.

I think they already hit the perfect note with the MKIV. In the fluff it's the pinnacle of battle armour technology, and it certainly looks much better than any of the others, especially the FW assault squad suits.
I would agree with that to an extent; the MKIV does have a more modern feel to it, which is justified by their fluff. Its a decent point.

·
Jac "Baneblade" O'Bite
8,082 Posts
I like the current look of the marines, big, bulky, looks like they can take a hit by a freight train and keep on trucking. The only thing I would want them to do would be to redo the whole range to make them true scale. That I would all over.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The current editions of armour (I personally prefer Mk VII and Mk VIII to any others, and no offense, I can't stand the look of the beakie helmet), and I think they add to the idea of the Space Marines being these hulking beasts of war. I agree the should focus on chapter conversions (Giving each of the founding chapters their own or retouching ones already available to start) is definitely a step in the right direction.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I could do with slightly smaller pauldrons. Otherwise, I'm a fan of the modern design.

·
DA GOLDEN WAAAGH
1,285 Posts
Interesting... Well i like the current design if armour but i doubt they woukd compleatly change their space marine range maybe add a blockier new mark of armour Mk9 or 10 I'm not sure what they are up to. And whats wrong with the pauldrons? Personally i like them they fit with the medival armour designs where they idea of pauldrons came from; external layers designed to take blows and not cause a rupture in the armours integrity.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
My preference would be for a more "form fitting" power armour look, a bit more towards Ironman or Crysis.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I get what you're saying, or at least I believe I do; older armies have something that at least harkens back to an earlier scifi that I suppose you could say if isolated western feel to them, where as the tau have that sort of more models western/eastern scifi blend to them which is cleaner and more angular. They're (tau) more a baby of the 2000's, so they look somewhat odd by comparison. That about right?
Sort of, what I like about the whole 40K aesthetic is the old, lived in appearance. Much like Star Wars, Dune or Blade Runner, everything has an old/ancient quality to it.

On the other hand you have Star Trek, everything is new, shiny, clean and sleek.

Each style has its place and its merits but if you took the Enterprise and just dumped it into 40K or Dune it would look out of place, it wouldn't fit with the feel of the universe and it jars the aesthetic, for me anyway.

I think the Tau stick out like a sore thumb in the 40K setting, I understand that they are supposed to be new and forward looking and that is part of their place in the setting, I just don't like it, they'r not 'grim-dark' and have no place in the brutal, ugly setting of 40K.

This isn't an attack on Tau fans at all, its just my personal take on them as part of the 40K setting, I know they are popular (the recent release proves that!) they just don't fit with how I see the setting and given the choice they would be gone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts