Discussion Starter #1
Farseer on Jetbike
Farseer on Jetbike

Faolchu's Wing Formation:
5 Skyweavers
5 Skyweavers
1 Voidweaver + Prismatic cannon

Formation effect: Can reroll jink save

Take prescience as a primaris: Reroll you're snapshots and you're to hit in combat.

Anyone think this is a good idea?
Is this possible ? (Farseer joining into a formation)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
What is the exact wording on the Formation? In this case, it says 'If you choose to jink with units in this formation...' So technically, yes, this would work, even with the Farseers, because they join the unit.

However (and I was planning on doing this with Autarchs in my Skyweaver units), you will NOT be able to use the Mirage Launchers, because nothing from the Eldar Codex has them, and the rules specifically say every model in the unit must have them to use them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah interesting, so you were planning on putting autarchs with your units of skyweavers?

For academic reasons can you tell me how you intend on arming your units and your autarchs and how you plan on using them?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm still trying to decide, honestly. The autarchs in my army will serve multiple purposes:

1. I'm running multiple CADs, so I need a few HQs. Since I need to use them anyway, why not make them beatsticks in my CC squad?

2. I'm running two Crimson Hunters, so the Autarchs give me reserve control.

I haven't decided the exact kit, but most likely it will be Laser Lance, Fusion Gun, Banshee Mask. This gives them an impressive CC profile, and can also hurt vehicles... though the rest of the squad can't. The autarch doesn't exactly have a good kit to match up with the Skyweavers.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
It's not Farseers I'd ideally want to run Skyweavers with, but Warlocks. Ah, Conceal for 2+ cover jink...

*drifts off dreamily*

Well, that's not happening.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
It's not Farseers I'd ideally want to run Skyweavers with, but Warlocks. Ah, Conceal for 2+ cover jink...

*drifts off dreamily*

Well, that's not happening.
Ya know, I never really considered running Warlocks with them. Not a bad idea.

Why wouldn't you do it?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Warlocks are not IC's and can only join units listed under the Warlock Council unit entry, of which Skyweavers, nor any other Harlequin unit are listed for that matter, and Conceal only affects the Caster, granting the rule which then applies to his squad, rather than selecting a squad.
That would explain it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was really excited to put a farseer with them purely for the guide and or prescience to make their to hits re-rolling. My waveserpents are my bread and butter when it comes to whittling down dev squads and .... (Insert non armoured unit here) . So a big unit of skyweavers, lets say 6 puts out 18 shots rerolling to hit, even when jinking that's 5.5 hits per turn.
You have a unit that your opponent literally has to force jink on to stay alive, and even then you're rerolling a 4+ most of the time so he doesnt get much bang for his buck.

I've only had this list in my head for about 10 minutes but personally I think it's a real killer, because it take one farseer and one autarch and aiming to do the "best of bot" :
([Dont have the rulebook to hand] I'm working on the assumption that reserves are rolled for on turn 2 onwards on a 3+ every turn and my autarch can boost this to a 2+ or a 4+]

100 - Autarch - Banshee mask, Laser Lance, Jetbike
115 - Farseer - Jetbike

180pts - 3 Skyweavers, 3 Glaives
300pts - 5 Skyweavers, 5 Glaives
Token Voidweaver

Farseer joins unit of 5 (Could be smart to start in strategic reserves)
Autarch is deployed with unit of 3 skyweavers safely behind cover (if there is any, strategy may need to be tinkered with to suit situation).
Voidweaver goes in reserve

Admittedly the only unit in my army that would be in reserve would be my farseer+skyweavers.

Anyway, turn 1; exchange fire with enemy as usual, try to keep your two skyweaver units together and get prescience and guide off on both of them.

Turn 2; *IF FARSEER IS IN RESERVE* - Almost guaranteed to get your farseer on the board, anything within 36" of your board edge (12" move, 24" range) is taking ~13 strength 6 semi-rending hits. Against gunlines this could be a problem and maybe best for the farseer unit to start on the board, but against horde it's going to catch them off guard and clear a whole squad off the board in conjunction with some other firepower.

If the farseer+unit started on the board, start using them as mop up units after popping transports, either with their firepower or with their sickening charge (Be sure to use the banshee mask on initiative 5 or higher to ensure minimal casualties).

Both units are best kept near each other to begin with

Having just read that and taken a moment to think I wonder:

1 - Is the farseer necessary on BS4 and WS5? I know that rerolling to hit on my waveserpents is probably the best thing going for my army, and rerolling to hit is a step down the road of the law of averages (makes shooting really reliable basically). For me i think for shooting yes it is, for combat not necessarily.

2 - The banshee mask could be the real winner here, especially vs deathstar type units with that one abbadon-esk character who kills half your unit before you can strike, I think the banshee mask guarantees successful combats with all units in the game (at worst brings them to equal initiative of your harlies)

Big post over, was a real treat to check my post 12 hours later and see that it had gone from 2 replies to 10!!!!

cheers guys

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Don't rule out the token Voidweaver immediately. Personally I think that with a Prismatic Cannon it has a lot of potential. The Haywire is great for an unexpected FU to armored lists, but the Prism has a Lance firing mode on top of its blast options, so I plan on running 2 paired together, one mostly so it's not an easy first blood, and because I like redundancy. Another reason I'll run two Autarchs.

I'm a little confused how your casting Prescience and Guide if you're starting your Farseer in reserve, but anyway.... you might be better served keeping them on the board to start, simply because they still get access to turbo-boost, no? They're not shooting, but you can have them in place, casting something, and then zipping up behind cover again. That's half a table right there or more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
yes I'm a big fan of redundancy also; The voidweaver will be good, but i only plan on running one so being av10 open topped i don't have high hopes for him.

Yeah sorry i was thinking of two strategys and didnt convey them properly:
One where the farseer starts on the board with his unit.
One where him and his unit don't start on the board.

If these two units get to shoot then in my meta an early turn of 24 rerolling to hit str 6 shots will probably win me the game - You may think this is wishful thinking.

But here is the maths (8 shuricannons, vs T4 enemies (adjusted for bladestorm):

Assuming prescience and guide go off on both units.
Save 2+, 5++ : 4.583333333
Armour 3+ : 8.148148148
Cover 4+, Armour 3+ : 6.62037037

Prescience and Guide fail to go off
Save 2+, 5++: 3.333333333
Armour 3+: 5.925925926
Cover 4+, Armour 3+: 4.814814815

Snapshot (and prescience and Guide go off) (note this almost doubles your inflicted casualties when you pull of your spells when snap shotting)
Save 2+, 5++: 1.527777778
Armour 3+: 2.716049383
Cover 4+, Armour 3+: 2.206790123

Really solid damage profiles, particularly if a flying monstrous creature needs one wound to ground it, you should be able to do it (and then charge it!!!!)

The survivability and damage potential of this formation is just baffling if you ask me!

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You're assuming Interceptor, Mech, AP3 Flamers and other weight of fire options don't worry you? And what do you do versus Knight Acherons or similar weapons? Even a Battlecannon to force you to jink wastes 3 quarters of the firepower of the unit.
Of course there are hard counters to all unit types that need to be considered, but considering what's available in other codex's and for the same number of points; I think this unit are something to be extremely worried about, partly for their extreme firepower, partly for their cc ability, partly for their mobility, partly for their save.

I'd make a special effort to get rid of the "ignores cover" weaponry, (I'm sure anyone with a brain would do the same). Failing that, there is always their 24" turbo boost + 12" assault move to avoid them preemptively.

I feel the fact that you've mentioned a lord of war imperial knight as a potential problem unit for these guys reinforces my point somewhat. I guess I can only speak for my meta though.

Consider this: I'm sure before Draigowing won the meta way back when, someone said:
"Well what if they have 3 str10 pie plates and lots of things that counter your terminators?"
(Author's note: I'm not saying ive broken the meta by the way)

40k isn't as simple as "what if they take the exact units that counter my units", I'm sure you'd agree.

I can only speak for my meta though.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I'm rather enjoying this, because I plan on using these Skyweavers also. Of course, this is also why I'll be packing a few Crimson Hunters with bright lances, hopefully to handle something like a Knight.

I find myself torn with how to field my characters. My original plan was a Mantled Jetseer, and a sincere hope for Death Mission. 2 Autarchs, strapped to Skyweavers as swiss army beatsticks. But now I'm less sure. maybe 2 Farseers, one per Skyweaver squad... and put the Autarch solo with a mantle? So many options.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ooo I hadn't even thought of an MOLG autarch ...

I think the best option for you is one mantle of the laughing god farseer with: Prescience, Guide, +???

following two squads of autarch + skyweavers. buffing them up etc.

I think considering how easy guide and prescience are to pull off you only need one farseer. But as you say, nothing like a bit of redundancy + no harm in having a really strong pool of warp charges to play with.

Ultimately we're both going to have to play test these armies, but because I don't have any reserves I don't rate the autarch much higher than another skyweaver mainly due to the loss of a shuricannon and the points difference (but he does have a banshee mask which could be a game changer).

The other sad thing about the autarch is he goes from ap3 str5 charge to ap- str3
whereas the skyweavers go from ap2 str5 charge to ap3 str3. (buffed with prescience they re-roll two rounds of combat , mmmmmm)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts