Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after reading the Chaos Codex and looking at the models, I've decided to jump to chaos over Eldar :p That doesn't mean I'll be abandoning Eldar, but for a real true noob like myself, they seem really difficult, not the hardest army, but not easy either.

Concerning Chaos Though, I've noticed that their seems to be alot debate concerning the usefulness of Posessed Marines. Some forums are alive with discussion of how much they suck, others seem to believe they're not so bad?

What are your thoughts concerning these guys?

·
Premium Member
6,544 Posts
I really think they're balls. You can't predict what they're going to do, which is sort of characterful, but at the same time, as a commander, you'd group and deploy the ones that have particular abilities that you need for that particular battle-- I really preferred the older Codex's version where you could choose their ability for the appropriate points.

More technically, though, points are at a premium in a Chaos army, and you can't really afford a random element in an army like that where you need to be able to rely on every unit you're able to bring. It'd be fine to have a random element in an army like the Orks since there are so damn many of them that you're not completely screwed if your 500-point squad rolls a bad result, but if your Possessed get an ability you can't make good use of, you're sort of out the points-- they're not any better in combat than a Berserker, and they're far less reliable.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
They're too random and too expensive for no more reliable than they are.

I realize chaos = random and all, but I'd rather they just assigned points values ot the abilities and let you pick.

As it is you can't really buy them anything without a good chance of it being rendered useless. If they get Scouts or Infiltrate then the transport is useless, but most other options you're going to want it.

Likewise, different random powers work better with different marks. It just makes it harder to make an effective unit out of them.

I say buy the box for the parts and just use your elites on Chosen and Terminators.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I think the current incarnation of chaos is pretty badass (Possessed aside)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Guys, thanks so much for the responses, I've played with them once and thought they were OK, but not really worth the price cost. :( Especially when you think about the other elite options (Chosen and Terminators both seem Kick Ass in the new Codex) :grin:

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Chosen are rock hard.

Five meltas to infiltrate into your enemy's tank line, four power weapons or fists with a meltagun or flamer for added zing, or a lascannon and four plasguns infiltrating into the perfect firing position to control the board.

I love 'em

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I've had great results with them so far, usually rending or feel no pain rolled thus far. I never put them in vehicles (though I do buy the rhino as a portable wall, and mobile weapon platform).
I use them with a MoTz every time.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I love possessed, the models and in game. Like most units it depends on who is using them if they are effective or not.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
I;d beg to differ.

Unlike most units it depends on if you;re lucky enough to roll a worthwhile party.

Any other unit in the list you can custom tailor to fill a niche in the army as a whole and build a choesive list that supports itself.

Possessed are just a big expensive wildcard that can go from rock to suck before the game even starts

1 - 10 of 10 Posts