Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Would you like BL to publish some novels set during the DAoT in future?

• yes

Votes: 12 38.7%
  • no

Votes: 19 61.3%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading up on the Dark Age of Technology on the 40K Wikia and I came across the part about the Men of Stone and the Men of Iron.
Now apparently the Men of Iron were androids/robots, who eventually rebelled (and were defeated by the first galactic empire/federation of humanity).
Well I never knew there was a man vs. machine war in the 40K timeline.

Do you guys think it would be a good idea for Black Library to use that period as a setting for a few novels?

I can think of several cons:
1) novels wouldn't have the 40K feel (no tyranids or tau, no marines, no chaos marines, few to no psykers, Imperium of Man would not be featured at all, etc.)
2) would probably feel more like Star Trek/Terminator
3) if any of you guys are familiar with Dune, you'll know that the prequel novels about the man vs. machine war in that universe were horrendous

on the other hand, a really clever writer might be able to make a lot out of it

EDIT: oh yeah, who the hell were the stone men???

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Hell no..... That is all.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think the unification wars would be great, or more ancient history (even for us now). The creation of the Emp.

In tales of Heresy they did have a pre-marine story, starring the emp "The Last Church"

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the major problem is that the galactic empire during the DAoT probably didn't resemble the IoM at all, the Emperor really ushered in a new age.
A writer would have to develop a connection between the earlier galactic empire and the IoM. Because so much of what makes 40K 40K was not present during the DAoT, the link between the two periods would have to be more subtle. The job of a skilled writer would be to develop a subtle connection that adds to the reader's understanding of subsequent 30K/40K events.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hmm...could work with a good author behind it. But then again the Dark age of tech is one of those sacred things in 40k you dont mess with out people bitching (see the emporer).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think a few more stories that involve legacies from the dark age would be better.

Because i think i remeber reading a bit of fluff (no idea were or when) that said they had whole fleets of super planet killing ships?

The guants ghosts one was pretty goddam awesome!

·
Registered
929 Posts
i agree as someone said. unification wars would be much better than dark age of technology. but considering just telling the herey is taking the BL years and years and years... i think its too unimportant to ever get its own series.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
World Eater is right. Novels about the legacy of the Dark Age would be a lot better, still 40k and feature the Dark Age quite well. Novels actually set in them wouldn't be 40k anymore, it'd be 20k or 10k.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I'd like to see the rise of the emperor but nothing more

I'm curious about what the emperor is and stories such as the last church interest me greatly but that is my limit

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
More artefacts from the Dark Age would be nice to see, the Men of Iron were awesome even in a brief appearance. And The Castigator, wish we could have seen it fight but alas.

Seeing what else they invented during the Dark Age would be awesome, and how it still affects 40k.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts

I'm curious about what the emperor is and stories such as the last church interest me greatly but that is my limit

·
Registered
929 Posts
More artefacts from the Dark Age would be nice to see, the Men of Iron were awesome even in a brief appearance. And The Castigator, wish we could have seen it fight but alas.

Seeing what else they invented during the Dark Age would be awesome, and how it still affects 40k.
I thought the castigator was so uber cool. I was quite miffed when Alaric killed him. In fact, I was kind of rooting for the super titan to stomp there little asses.

the last church was brilliant.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I thought the castigator was so uber cool. I was quite miffed when Alaric killed him. In fact, I was kind of rooting for the super titan to stomp there little asses.
Must have not been so great if one Grey Knight could kill him :grin:. One Grey Knight who was capable of thinking out of the box, anyways. I liked the disembodied tech-priest more.

As for the OP, I think maybe one work that describes the Dark Age of Technology in greater detail would be cool, but not a novel per sé. Unless there's a real storyline to follow, I don't know. Something in the Age of Strife would make more sense, or perhaps a novel about the Great Crusade.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
There wouldn't really be a point of these, would there? We all know roughly the story between the Great Crusade and modern times (As in 40K, not 2010....), so these couldn't really add anything. Like Lord of the Night has said, the legacy thing could be interesting, I know that the Inquisitor in The Founding mentions something like 30 Chapters as using a new, curved Chainsword. But yeah, I say no too the idea.

·
Registered
78 Posts
World Eater is right. Novels about the legacy of the Dark Age would be a lot better, still 40k and feature the Dark Age quite well. Novels actually set in them wouldn't be 40k anymore, it'd be 20k or 10k.

I guess the answer is, "It depends." Assuming the Horus Heresy period is 30K (?), why not novels set in the 10K and 20K period? It all depends on whether or not BL wants to paint the complete history. It could be a huge undertaking (like Churchill's History of WW II), or just a gloss (like Churchill's History of the English Speaking People).

To me, 40K is a sort of "you are here." I could see myself interested in "how you got there."

1 - 20 of 29 Posts