Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello people!

I have a campaign coming up in a few days and need to throw together a list. I have never played citys of death and don't really know where to begin. I am aware of all the terrain. I have been playing chaos for about 6 months but nothing like this.

The point cost is decided by the people playing the round.

My models don't have much limitation. I have pretty much everything i will ever need to use my chaos. So i am open to almost every strat.

I know it's a stupid thing to ask people to throw something together from nothing but even if you don't wanna suggest models or strats, any minor tips are much appreciated. =)

The only thing i have been considering is Chosen and Bikes...?

Thanks,

-Lasrix

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well in cities of death your firing lanes and open battle field are greatly reduced. So armies that can move easily in and out of cover and excel in CC imo generally fair better. With that being said, i would think Khorne would be your best bet with nurgle coming in second. khorne because obviously they excel at CC and nurgle because they are just tough, making them just that much harder to kill in all that cover. Tzeentch were just never my fortey and slaanesh often loose their benefits (on the charge) because of all the cover and also again their sonic weapons lose alot of their lanes of fire. A black legion list will fair in the middle, like any other MEQ army depending on their build. Just be cautious of your vehicles as LRs often have trouble fitting into the tight spaces without have to roll to see if something happens to them.

ill throw up a list later for you when i have more time, but hopefully this will atleast get you started on what you should be heading towards.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
What you want to have will largely depend on the kind of terrain around... As a rule of thumb, things that Ignore Cover and can shoot/move over buildings ( flamers, barrages, jump packs ) are good. You'll need far less transports than usual which frees up points for... amusing things :grin:

Note that the tactical value of certain tricks will be different (better or worse) with a lot of terrain around than normal. Lashing a squad out of it's cover, for instance... Whether bikes will work well, I'm not sure. Losing them to dangerous terrain seems like such an ignoble end for a Chaos Space Marine with centuries of warfare under his belt :no:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was considering a khorne list. I've got 40models of em to play with so it won't be hard to make it work. Same thing for the mechanize rule of thumb? Throw em all in rhinos? I know the campaign is gonna be building heavy.

Any recommedations for hqs? Still the DP suggestions?

I do have 6 raps and 1HQ with jump pack. The first post mentioned something about that.

I know oblis work well for open ground but not sure about this. What kinda heavy should I consider for dense terrain?

Thanks again for the help!

-Lasrix

·
Registered
261 Posts
Forget the rhinos, it will be too hard to maneuver them in the tight spaces you're likely to be presented with.

DP with MoS, Lash and Wings is a good idea.

A sorceror with MoS and Lash, attached to a squad of berzerkers could be a good idea.

Oblit's will work, they have twin linked flamers (Reroll to wound, ignore cover!!!). The twin linked plasmas and twin linked meltas could work too, if you have a clear shot.

As Shadanthe said bikes will probably get smashed with the dangerous terrain tests.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I miss the indirect fire defilers of last codex.

Vindicators fluff says they rock at this kind of thing, and they do work nicely.

13 front armour and 24" can help you funnel your opponents where you want them by blocking off corridors or making intersections too dangerous for your opponent.

CC dreads with heavy flamers might actually have a use here strolling around the city while beserkers take care of business elsewhere

HQ - ? whatever floats your boat

Elite
Dread 2x CCW, EA, H-Flamer
Dread 2x CCW, EA, H-Flamer > 360
Dread 2x CCW, EA, H-Flamer

Troop - only 1 cult choice can take flamers, the nefarious Plague Marine! These guys will rock whilst in cover, but if Khorne is your thing, go for it. 3 cult squads without Rhinos at their sacred number will run about 625 - 650. A flamer and melta gun will let you deal with anything but some say you shouldn't mix and match spec weapons.

Cult Choice w/P-fist
Cult Choice w/P-fist >approx 625-650
Cult Choice w/P-fist

Heavy
Vindicator - Possession, Combi-Flamer
Vindicator - Possession, Combi-Flamer > 465
Vindicator - Possession, Combi-Flamer

1450 - 1475 with no HQ. Could be terrifying

·
Registered
240 Posts
personally i would take some obliterators somewhere in there, if they have LOS their plasmacannons can do a tasty job of mashing up infantry as the vindicators would do and they also have the advantage of being able to use those twin linked heavy flamers! if there are lots of buildings, probably best not deep strike them unless you got icons. that said, unit of raptors with icon would be awesome here, zoom across the board, drop your oblits in a nice position somewhere high up where they can see lots?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We did our first moves for the campaign today and looks like my first battle is gonna be Space Marines. I've actually never went toe to toe with another marine army so it should be interesting.

We have a choice weather to use city fight or just open terrain. I guess i'll have to see the circumstances.

Im gonna throw some lists together tonight and post em to get some feed back.

-Lasrix

1 - 9 of 9 Posts