Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are going to be my final question regarding paints and tools to start this hobby. I have research a lot before I ask these questions.

I just want to say thanks beforehand to those who have help me before and appreciated all reply.

Three things I'm looking for is as follow: What are the equilvalent to these GW tools (list below), where can I buy them from (home depot, hobby store, craft store, etc...), and do I actually need them?

With those in mind here is a list of things I am planning to buy as well as some more indept question.

Lastly if there is any tools you think I need or WANT but didn't list please let me know.

1. Are hobby knife the same as Exacto Knife?

2. Hobby Knife remove mold line and flash, then what does modeling files do? I have a set of modeling files from GW, do I need a Hobby or Exacto Knife as well?

3. I need both plastic and super glue for metal and plastic, is that correct? If so, can I buy any superglue at walmart or does it have to be a certain kind?

4. PVA Glue (just tell me if I need it or not) (for basing) (I am basing 100%) are they the same as woodworking glue?

5. Paint color: red, blue, yellow, white, black, flesh, brown, silver, and gold (I'll buy secondary color later, purple, orange, green if mixing paints get tiring). Is silver and gold metallic color or are those different colors? GW, Reaper Master Series, Coat D'Arms, or Vallejo game color? What brand makes the best washes and metallic, do they also have foundation (or does only GW have it).

6. Are clippers the same as Cutter? (For cutting the parts of the sprue)

7. Can any paint become a wash (add water to the paint) or do you actually have to buy a wash paint? If so I only need one wash ( a darker color of the basecoat) is that correct? Are washes ink? Does GW line of washes make the best washes?

8. I know what foundation paint is (is ultramarine blue foundation paint or regular paint) but is there any differences between that and regular paint? Why do you need foundation paint if you already primer your model? Let say I plan on painting the Tau a blue color so after my white or black primer, then I just need a blue color as my foundation color right? But can't I also do a regular paint as a foundation as well? I'm really confuse about those two kind of paints. Also if I decided to paint the Tau a white color, do I paint white over white primer, or do I leave it as white primer?

9. What are varnish use for? Are varnish only use when you wash and drybrush or do any other kind of highlight? If I don't do wash or drybrush do I need varnish? Is varnish a must if I plan on doing wash and drybrush? If I use regular color I don't need varnish right? Is GW varnish good for the price, any other recommendation?

10. GW list these paint brushes (do I need them all and if not where can I buy the same type of brush from other stores, e.g. 4 flat brushes, what are the name)
Citadel fine detail brush, detail brush, standard brush, basecoat brush, large brush, wash brush, small drybrush, median drybrush, large drybrush, stippling brush (do I need all of these, and what are they call in other store)? This is very IMPORTANT to me, thanks

11. I have a black citadel primer, do I need a white one as well?

12. Artist's palette (do i need it)?

13. What does it mean to highlight?

14. Do you also prime scenery and building like miniatures or do you just drybrush it?

15. How do you thin out your paint and how do you know when to thin out your paint?

16. What is airbrushing, do I need to airbrush, what does it do?

Thanks

P.S I post this in the paint forum but I needed a quick reply because I'm getting my tools today, I cannot wait.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,046 Posts
Or, I am at work and on break so I can't answer them all but you will need an exacto knife, clipers, PVA(just ask a person at your local hobby store), brushes, and super glue( don't need plastic glue), but these you will want to buy from somewhere other than GW( they will rip you off). The paint GW makes is good, so are their washes. Varnish is used to seal and protect your model. Ok airbrush... It's and airbrush which means it is basically a spray gun for paint.

Btw, nothing GW produces is worth the price.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
1. Are hobby knife the same as Exacto Knife?
Pretty much.

2. Hobby Knife remove mold line and flash, then what does modeling files do? I have a set of modeling files from GW, do I need a Hobby or Exacto Knife as well?
Files are good for smoothing rough areas, especially on metal

3. I need both plastic and super glue for metal and plastic, is that correct? If so, can I buy any superglue at walmart or does it have to be a certain kind?
I use superglue for everything - but be warned, it will discolour transparent plastics. all brands are the same, but consider buying both liquid and gel.

4. PVA Glue (just tell me if I need it or not) (for basing) (I am basing 100%) are they the same as woodworking glue?
No. Buy propper PVA, but remember to water it down before use.

5. Paint color: red, blue, yellow, white, black, flesh, brown, silver, and gold (I'll buy secondary color later, purple, orange, green if mixing paints get tiring). Is silver and gold metallic color or are those different colors? GW, Reaper Master Series, Coat D'Arms, or Vallejo game color? What brand makes the best washes and metallic, do they also have foundation (or does only GW have it).
Silver and Gold are metalics. As for washes, GW citadel washes have a very good reputation. Vallejo comes in 'dropper bottles' which is nice.

6. Are clippers the same as Cutter? (For cutting the parts of the sprue)
Yes. The propper name is 'side cutters'.

7. Can any paint become a wash (add water to the paint) or do you actually have to buy a wash paint? If so I only need one wash ( a darker color of the basecoat) is that correct? Are washes ink? Does GW line of washes make the best washes?
To make a wash, mix about 10:1 water to paint and add a little floor polish (to break surface tension). But GW Citadel washes are fantastic, I recomend them. Ink is not a wash. Ink is a liquid pigment. Washes are just very watery paint, with some additives.

8. I know what foundation paint is (is ultramarine blue foundation paint or regular paint) but is there any differences between that and regular paint? Why do you need foundation paint if you already primer your model? Let say I plan on painting the Tau a blue color so after my white or black primer, then I just need a blue color as my foundation color right? But can't I also do a regular paint as a foundation as well? I'm really confuse about those two kind of paints. Also if I decided to paint the Tau a white color, do I paint white over white primer, or do I leave it as white primer?
Foundation paint has much more pigment/ml than regular, meaning you need fewer coats. It is not the same as primer or basecoat. Without foundation paints, your primer colour can show through three or four layers of regular paint. And yes, even if you are painting white, paint a white topcoat over your white primer.

9. What are varnish use for? Are varnish only use when you wash and drybrush or do any other kind of highlight? If I don't do wash or drybrush do I need varnish? Is varnish a must if I plan on doing wash and drybrush? If I use regular color I don't need varnish right? Is GW varnish good for the price, any other recommendation?
Varnish is a protective measure to stop your paintjob from getting chipped. If you are careful, or don't mind touching up occasional chips, you don't need it. Citadel varnish is deadly expensive, try Army Painter.

10. GW list these paint brushes (do I need them all and if not where can I buy the same type of brush from other stores, e.g. 4 flat brushes, what are the name)

Citadel fine detail brush, detail brush, standard brush, basecoat brush, large brush, wash brush, small drybrush, median drybrush, large drybrush, stippling brush (do I need all of these, and what are they call in other store)? This is very IMPORTANT to me, thanks
DO NOT BUY GW BRUSHES. Go down to your local art shop or hobby shop, look at their brushes and buy what you think you need. Don't buy the cheapest ones.

11. I have a black citadel primer, do I need a white one as well?
Only if you plan on a light colour paint job. do not buy Citadel primer though. Go to your local auto store and get acrylic spray paint designed for car bodywork.

12. Artist's palette (do i need it)?
Nah.

13. What does it mean to highlight?
After applying a wash, add a touch of paint the same or lighter to the bits of the model where light would touch. The wash makes recesses dark, most of the model is regular colour and the bits that stick out are now brighter.

14. Do you also prime scenery and building like miniatures or do you just drybrush it?
Prime it. It helps the paint stick for one thing.

15. How do you thin out your paint and how do you know when to thin out your paint?
Put a few drops of paint on your palette (if you have one) or on the concave lid of another pot, then use your brush to add a drop or two of water to the paint, mix well. It's better to use paint that's too thin than too thick.

16. What is airbrushing, do I need to airbrush, what does it do?
You don't need an airbrush yet, maybe never. They cost hundreds of pounds and squirt paint using air. Can look very fanncy.
Good luck.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
@gen.ahab

Btw, nothing GW produces is worth the price.[/quote]

I would really appreciated it whenever you have time to answer all of my question. Tomorrow is the only day that my dad is away so I can borrow his car and drive to a hobby store.

I don't need plastic glue for plastic?

Thanks for the advice, and yes I know GW rip you off so badly. My old neighbor use to buy the Battle for Macragge Starter set, and it only cost him 60 bucks I believe, but the cutters and files cost him 30 bucks itself, in the end he end up paying close to 200 bucks for all the tools, when he could have gotten all of the tools for less than 50's.

@Azezel

Thanks for such a quick reply! This has got to be the best forum on the net

1. Do I still need a hobby knife?

2. If I buy liquid and gel superglue shouldn't I just get a plastic glue? I rather avoid superglue since it hard to get out and it burn your skin whichever part it touch. Is there something wrong with plastic glue?

3. What do you mean by water down PVA glue? You meaning thinning the glue? Like add a few drop of water to the glue?

4. "To make a wash, mix about 10:1 water to paint and add a little floor polish (to break surface tension). But GW Citadel washes are fantastic, I recomend them. Ink is not a wash. Ink is a liquid pigment. Washes are just very watery paint, with some additives."

I have no idea what that mean? What does 2:1 or 10:1 mean in term of painting? I never understood that term, makes it really hard to follow painting tutorial. I think I will stick with GW washes since I don't need many of those. But please tell me what do those ratios mean.

5. Foundation paint is not basecoat? If foundation paint is better, then why don't people buy foundation paint instead of regular paint if it uses less coat? Is it because it has so few color? Is Ultramarine blue a foundation paint? I have some old space marine model that I painted blue (neighbor gave me) and it seem to work fine. Also regular and foundation paint are the same price. If I don't need foundation paint then I will go with Vallejo, Reaper, and Coat D'Arms paint.

6. Does Varnish change the color of your painted miniatures. I haven't seen any chipping so I guess I don't need Varnish (edit, some did chip, but not a lot, make it look rusty) Does everyone uses varnish?

7. I heard that automobile primer are not the same quality as GW primer? Are they much cheaper?

Thanks for answering

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
No. in fact, it's better not to use it. 'plastic glue' isn't really clue, it's a chemical which partially liquifies the polystyrene. When the polystyrene resolidifies, the two peices become one single piece, so if you made a mistake, tough, god himself could not seperate them. If you mess up with superglue it's easy to seperate the two pieces, just put them in the freezer overnight.

@Azezel

You need a very sharp, precision knife of some sort. An exacto knife, a craft knife, a modeling knife, a scalpel, whatever works for you.

2. If I buy liquid and gel superglue shouldn't I just get a plastic glue? I rather avoid superglue since it hard to get out and it burn your skin whichever part it touch. Is there something wrong with plastic glue?

Use plastic glue if you want, but superglue's not bad if you treat it with respect. Superglue is cheaper too.

3. What do you mean by water down PVA glue? You meaning thinning the glue? Like add a few drop of water to the glue?
Try about 1:1 water to glue. PVA tends to be very thick and you want a much thinner consistency. Experiment before you try it on an actual base.

4. "To make a wash, mix about 10:1 water to paint and add a little floor polish (to break surface tension). But GW Citadel washes are fantastic, I recomend them. Ink is not a wash. Ink is a liquid pigment. Washes are just very watery paint, with some additives."

I have no idea what that mean? What does 2:1 or 10:1 mean in term of painting? I never understood that term, makes it really hard to follow painting tutorial. I think I will stick with GW washes since I don't need many of those. But please tell me what do those ratios mean.

2:1 means two parts to one part. For example two gallons of water to one gallon of paint, or two drops of water to one drop of paint. 10:1 means ten drops of water to one drop of paint. If you have three drops of paint, you need thirty drops of water etc.

But yes, GW washes are ace.

5. Foundation paint is not basecoat? If foundation paint is better, then why don't people buy foundation paint instead of regular paint if it uses less coat? Is it because it has so few color? Is Ultramarine blue a foundation paint? I have some old space marine model that I painted blue (neighbor gave me) and it seem to work fine. Also regular and foundation paint are the same price. If I don't need foundation paint then I will go with Vallejo, Reaper, and Coat D'Arms paint.

Foundation is just that, a foundation. The colour and texture of the paint is unsuitable for the final coat. Ultramarines Blue is not a foundation. GW foundations say 'foundation' on the label and come in round pots with white lids.

Foundations are only available in a limited range of colours because you're expected to paint over them - for example I paint the red parts of my Battle sisters with Mechrite Red - which is a foundation and then put both Blood Red and Scab Red on top. I only need one kind of foundation red for two kinds of topcoat red.

6. Does Varnish change the color of your painted miniatures. I haven't seen any chipping so I guess I don't need Varnish (edit, some did chip, but not a lot, make it look rusty) Does everyone uses varnish?

Varnishes come in three varieties, matt, satin and gloss. all make the model very slightly darker. Satin makes it a little bit shiny, gloss makes it very shiny. Not everyone uses varnish.

7. I heard that automobile primer are not the same quality as GW primer? Are they much cheaper?

If there's a difference, I can't see it, and yes, the car paint is much cheaper, less than half the price, in fact. Just make sure it is matt acrylic that you buy.

·
Registered
488 Posts
In defense of plastic glue/plastic cement.
It does not work on metal or resin. At all. But on plastic kits, it is possibly the best thing ever. For starters, it is thick, and will not stick to anything other than plastic. It is primarily a solvent, but it has adhesive properties just so the parts can be held together while they are "welding". Once you get two parts together, you do not need to hold them still for a few minutes until they dry off; they hold together pretty much instantly, but it's very weak. You can apply the plastic glue and put two parts together. You then have five minutes during which you can separate the parts and remove the glue with no damage. It is GREAT for precise fixing of infantry poses, for example. It will hold everything in place, but you can still rotate the chest piece, move the hands, or do whatever. You can keep doing this for the better part of an hour, moving things around, trying out poses and what not. When the glue finally does set in, taking between 2 to 4 hours, it will be FAR stronger than anything any other glue can do. Good if you are afraid your models could get damaged in transport, bad if you think you will need to dismantle the model later on. Freezers and vibrators have no effect on plastic glue. Finally, excess glue can be easily removed by using a toothpick or a needle.

·
Registered
128 Posts
@ slug

Thanks for asking those questions. There were a lot that I hadn't even thought of asking until you did.

@ Azezel

Thank you for your informative and comprehensive answers. Very helpful.

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
No. in fact, it's better not to use it. 'plastic glue' isn't really clue, it's a chemical which partially liquifies the polystyrene. When the polystyrene resolidifies, the two peices become one single piece, so if you made a mistake, tough, god himself could not seperate them. If you mess up with superglue it's easy to seperate the two pieces, just put them in the freezer overnight.

If you can find it buy a super glue that comes with a brush applicator and thats all you will need

@Azezel

You need a very sharp, precision knife of some sort. An exacto knife, a craft knife, a modeling knife, a scalpel, whatever works for you.
buy a scalpel by swann morton if you can find one, they are the sharpest and the best qaulity blades on the planet and they last longer than any other knife blade i have ever used, avoid buying the disposable sterile knives in the range, they are designed for short term use in hospitals

Use plastic glue if you want, but superglue's not bad if you treat it with respect. Superglue is cheaper too.
super glue sticks everything, plastic glue only sticks plastic,its slower,its messy and its runs and melts plastic and best avoided
Try about 1:1 water to glue. PVA tends to be very thick and you want a much thinner consistency. Experiment before you try it on an actual base.
not sure watering down pva for basing is needed,thin coat applied with a brush and dip it in sand or flock

2:1 means two parts to one part. For example two gallons of water to one gallon of paint, or two drops of water to one drop of paint. 10:1 means ten drops of water to one drop of paint. If you have three drops of paint, you need thirty drops of water etc.

But yes, GW washes are ace.
dont waste your time mixing, buy citadel washes, if you were at a level painting were you needed to mix your own wash you wouldn't be asking how to do it, just get the ones most relevant to your army, blue or black should be enough for ultrmarines

Foundation is just that, a foundation. The colour and texture of the paint is unsuitable for the final coat. Ultramarines Blue is not a foundation. GW foundations say 'foundation' on the label and come in round pots with white lids.

Foundations are only available in a limited range of colours because you're expected to paint over them - for example I paint the red parts of my Battle sisters with Mechrite Red - which is a foundation and then put both Blood Red and Scab Red on top. I only need one kind of foundation red for two kinds of topcoat red.
Foundation paints are perfectly fine as a final colour, bearing in mind that not everyone is a golden deamon level painter, mordian blue would work perfectly well as a "do all" paint for a starter level painter but then again citadel ultramarine blue is perfectly suitable to cover black primer with one coat too

Varnishes come in three varieties, matt, satin and gloss. all make the model very slightly darker. Satin makes it a little bit shiny, gloss makes it very shiny. Not everyone uses varnish.
varnish is weird thing it can "yellow" paint jobs if you get a unsuitable one, the best varnish for models is testors dull cote but citadel spray varnish works well enough,personally i use brush on vallejo varnish as i like to control the finish

If there's a difference, I can't see it, and yes, the car paint is much cheaper, less than half the price, in fact. Just make sure it is matt acrylic that you buy.

10 years ago i would have said buy the cheap stuff for cars, but back then almost all models were metal, things are different now, GW primers are supposed to be formulated for plastic and metal and i believe them, i have seen loads of plastic models sprayed with car primer only to have the paint well up and run on plastic minis, im not saying that this will happen with all primers, but some times its better(and cheaper in the long run) to buy something thats designed for the job than take a risk on something untested

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Also

If your going to buy clippers or side cutters make sure you buy flush cutters, this means the cutting edge is flat or "flush" this means the blade will cut the plastic with crisp flat edge.
I failed to do this, and I'm now paying for the consequences...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
10 years ago i would have said buy the cheap stuff for cars, but back then almost all models were metal, things are different now, GW primers are supposed to be formulated for plastic and metal and i believe them, i have seen loads of plastic models sprayed with car primer only to have the paint well up and run on plastic minis, im not saying that this will happen with all primers, but some times its better(and cheaper in the long run) to buy something thats designed for the job than take a risk on something untested
Well... That's news to me. But then, my main army is all-metal.

I've not noticed any running on my vehicles or Eldar, but if I do I'll know why.

Oh, and good call about the flush-cutters.

Oh-oh. As for knives: Personally I like the extendable snap-off ones. If it's getting a little dull, just break the end off and extend it another notch.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use Tamiya black for the undercoat. It is spirit based rather than water based which means I don't get the white powdery cover if the temperature and humidity conditions are not ideal. You also get a very nice thin finish with it meaning less chance of losing detail.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts