Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How easy is it for you to walk up to someone you dont know and ask for a game? Like if you changed clubs and you dont know anyone at your new one or your freinds cant make it for a game ad you really want a game.

For me...it seems i lack the ablilty to walk up and ask this. I havnt played a game of 40k in like... 4 months. I used to have a group of 17-20/year old friends that played togther but they have all gone to college or moved sadly. The only club in my area (non-GW) contains a tight nit group and i prefer to not barge and include myself in their numbers.

So does anyone here have winning socail skills that allow them to speak to anyone.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Social skills aren't really something that you can give intricate advice on, but I know where you're coming from I just moved to Connecticut from California and Im having some trouble finding a club. I found one but the people there are pretty close already and I as having similar problems to you, but I just went in and sat around for an hour with my case exchanged some pleasantries and eventually someone asked if I wanted to play.

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
One thing you could do is approch the members of the club through E-mail, Social Networking sites or a Forum if they have one. That way you can introduce yourself and get to know some of the members before you meet them face to face.

Other then that it's just like Tzeen Qhayshek said just ask. Most players and clubs that play in public stores usualy welcome new players. Plus if you ask to play with them and the turn out to be douchebags about it you'll have figured out you probably didn't want to play with them anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,376 Posts
It really is just ask some one if they would like to play a friendly game with you. If you are not comfortable with that then you could go in and just ask to watch a couple of games, you can hang out and talk to them. You could see if you like them and want to play a game with them.

In my expeirence just showing up with your army in tow is usually enough for someone to come up and ask me if I want a game.

·
Registered
941 Posts
go and watch a game already in session, and then ask if you could play one of them when they fiish their game!

·
4,491 Posts
Ummmm... surely you people dont lack that much confidence. :shok:

Just go up to someone and say "Hey man, you up for a game?".
If they say yes, then say "My name is ______ by the way", and shake their hand.
If they say no, then ask someone else.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Somebody did exactly that to me. I was buying paint and he rolled up, asked which army I collected and where I played.

Now we rent a community center every week and have a respectable stable of players.

100% success story. Do it.

·
Bringer of the Apocalypse
2,559 Posts
One other aspect of playing "new" people is the game itself; Don't be a jerk when playing, or the player(s) will never want to play you again. Keep it friendly and fun, and if a rules question comes up, give the other guy the benefit of the doubt (Unless he's being a total twit and saying each Marine has 3 wounds and 2+ saves). Basically encourage the other player(s) to WANT to play you again and again- As long as it's fun for you as well, of course.

·
Registered
468 Posts
At our GW/Club we usualy just yell "OI! anyone for a game of _____?!?!!?" someone usualy pipes up right away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts