Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I go to a tournament (I got third I'll explain later) and there's a few guys around 20 and were about to start and these two kids show up and join I'm like oh cool more people so first game I get one kid he plays chaos right away he moves his possesed model with wings like four feet and says he's assaulting my suits...short to sAy he lost and it took forever second game BOOM other kid who I don't even know if he had a full ork army but he kept hyping up a shokk attack gun and he kept getting rules wrong and saying what I had just said and telling me the same thing over and over So I end up tabeling him he acts all cool with it I understand their young but I think their really should be an age limit
so I notice he's fiddling round with something and I look over and he was writing my sportsmanship as 0 yes 0 an that led to me getting third instea of second and keeping me away from a suit or two so as you can understand Ima little po'd any comments would be nice
thanks for reading

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Yeah I got a comment, please for the sake of everyone on this planet learn to use some punctuation when you post. Its not hard, a period or a comma where appropriate will do.

There is absolutely no need for a post to have such a low quality like that emprah's homie. Actually show that your supposed to be a step above some people in more ways than one.

As for the topic, while it sucks that they scored you low what did you expect? You tabled them, they obviously wanted to win, and they are a tad shy from experienced (or at least I assume so, since I have nothing much to go on either way.) If an age limit was imposed, what ages do you think should be barred from playing and why? And don't use the experience thing, there are people older than ten who are just as bad or worse when it comes to that.

·
4,491 Posts
90% of under-15's who play are immature.
10% of over-15's who play are immature.

Either way, they dont belong in the tournament scene.

You should have mentioned something to the TO about it at the time.

·
Registered
644 Posts
In a tournament, naturally you have no choice who your opponent is. I don't find that age limit can block someone from being experienced, though it certainly is a contributing factor. Like darkreever said, some kids know the game better than us adults.

Personally, I think that shops should impose an age limit on tournaments, as like that 0 sportsmanship score, they inject immaturity (which is natural) into a serious environment. I myself only like to play in my age-group, as it seems weird to play someone who is far younger or much older than I am...

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
I personally think there isn't a full proof way to stop this happening, though for kids under the age of say 10 wanting enter tournaments should have to register through a GW store or Club and have an added bit of info informing the TO's how experienced and well this player knows the game, much like events like conflict where they have to win 3 matches in store to qualify meaning that they are less likely to even be there if they are playing more experienced players to get games.

I think that Tournaments should be more organised and aware of the players there and investigate every score of 0 given in tournaments or at least where a player puts a 0 for more than 1 aspect of scoring such as the above.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the punctuation it's 1 o clock am
and I'm using my I pod it's annoying to turn pages on it to add punctuation I'll try in the future

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
It ain't that hard, dude, I am using it right now.... fairly simple. Just know that giant blocks of text are a bit hard on the eyes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah it is hard when your barely awake

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
This is true.

·
Banned
2,023 Posts
I cant understand why tournements have a sportsmanship score anyway,what's that shit for? you never saw Kasparov getting marked down because he farted during play( and trust me he did)
Good Point, they should scrap it or have just a question on how they played - like was your opponent a fair and sportsman like player during the game, and leave it at that.

This would not so much be a waste of time but help organisers guage they general aura of the tournament more to fine tune it and help change things in future events.

Either that or keep it but it only counts to figuring out who is the most sportmanslike player of the whole tournament by vote of who was your favourite player to play against etc...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Im with BitsandKits on this one, if you think about it everyone should get a zero. Most tourny players use competitive lists, not high on the good sport scale normally. As too the original topic, I dont think its age, but as others have said perhaps a screening process so your avoiding the immature 10 year olds. AND the childish 30 year olds.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
sometimes this happens. Most of my game time si have is agiant younger kids but to be fair most have been good and i'm know for sportmans ship at my local as i will often left them fire the scouts that they forget to fire during there combat phase etc.
However from the sound of it it does seem like you got jipped a bit becuase of it. my advice is to take it on the chin and stop harping on about little kids...hell i would think atleast 75% of us here started when you where under 15. How do you think you would have recated if your where in his shoes(and his age)

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
As much as I'm glad younger people are into the hobby, I do find playing them an utterly pointless experience for myself. And I often feel that the particular 9-10 year olds who hang around GW stores/Gaming clubs tend to be from a richer background, consequently have very little respect others.
You know, the type that get their Nanny or Carer to paint and build their stuff for them.

Screening FTW, or simply, an age restriction.

·
Registered
39 Posts
as long as they know the rules they should be allowed too play then it doesnt mather if your 5 or 95. but when we (the club im in) organise something we demand that every body knows the rules orr else they cant play.

funny story we where at this tournament half way into the first round a kid walks in wanting too play he got his entyre army with him 500 points of fantasy and we where playing 2250 so we explained and the kid walked away crying (not funny).

comes back with his father who is all pissed off we explain everything and the dad goes : cant he just play allong his 500 points too a 2250 army?we where like what? well i had time and it was in the break so i played him 500 on 500 i go right do you know the rules? and he goes what are there rules? i thoughed you just moved the pieces around and rolled some dice and made the things up as you go.

i told him too buy a book and left never seen the kid again

·
4,491 Posts
Good Point, they should scrap it or have just a question on how they played - like was your opponent a fair and sportsman like player during the game, and leave it at that.

This would not so much be a waste of time but help organisers guage they general aura of the tournament more to fine tune it and help change things in future events.

Either that or keep it but it only counts to figuring out who is the most sportmanslike player of the whole tournament by vote of who was your favourite player to play against etc...
Its just a pity the whole tournament scene in Australia is fucked.
Comp scores and sportsmanship are worth more than what the actual battle points are. :(

·
Registered
173 Posts
why not a multiple choice rules test online for GW sanctioned tournys and if you fail you could still play but your opponent would know that you dont really know the rules yet so they wouldn't get upset during the game when you make a mistake and just correct you as the game progresses.
Instead of a number on the sportsmanship i agree with a statement so that way it can be gauged if you got a low score out of spite or did they have a legitemit reason.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
As much as I'm glad younger people are into the hobby, I do find playing them an utterly pointless experience for myself. And I often feel that the particular 9-10 year olds who hang around GW stores/Gaming clubs tend to be from a richer background, consequently have very little respect others.
You know, the type that get their Nanny or Carer to paint and build their stuff for them.

Screening FTW, or simply, an age restriction.
Pretty much. I've actually gotten to the point where I just won't play people that are under 14 anymore. Maybe that's not nice or whatever but a person can only handle so much noobishness.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I dont really have a prob,em with the younger generation, (everybody has got to start somwhere, right?), My only annoyance with them is Gw seems to lend them a helping hand in games and allow them to get away with blatent rule breaking. Oh and they cant be bothered to paint their bloody Gay marheeens.

When i started around 10yrs old atleast i knew the rules and painted my models, hell i even told Gw to piss off and not to help me, I want to learn from my own mistakes, kiddies nowdays dont do that sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
4,111 Posts
The only time I've played against someone younger than, say, 16, was a 12 year old at a tournament, not a sponsored one but held by the local hobby shop. Luckily, he also only brought 1250 points since he was just getting into the hobby (at an 1850 tournament) and I wound up giving him more advice and critiquing his turns after he had moved the pieces. He was a very courteous kid, though I can certainly see how younger players can be incredibly annoying.

At the same tournament, there was also a guy (probably in his 50s) who nearly got into a fist fight with the guy he was playing against because he wouldn't let his 'flamers' (modelled with bolters) be used as such, since the rules of the tournament strictly stated that weapons had to be modelled and proxies were not allowed (although scratch-built were acceptable). He threw a giant temper tantrum and stormed out of the tournament. So yeah, younger players can suck, but adults can be every bit as stupid and immature as they are.

As far as having to be 'screened' by tournament officials, I've never played in any sponsored RT tournament, so I can't really provide any input other than agreeing with it in concept.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts