Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got a chance to get some games in with my SOB army. This is the first time I have played under the new rules and I feel that I am getting the hang of the new rule set, well new to me anyway. I played 1500 vs orks in both games. first list a was a fully Mechanized list and the second was a mostly footsloggin horde of green. Both games ended in defeat for the noble Sisters but lessons were learned and I think that next time things will be a bit different.

First thing I realized was that with the acts of faith the sisters can tarpit like nonone's business. Problem is they have a hard time dealing the damage needed to get themselves out of the combat as well. Seraphim are a great unit and I will be taking them in every list. I was not sure how to use some of the AoF and the act that gives AP 1 seems to be hit or miss. I might have been using it wrong not sure but I rolled only a few 6 to wound despite hitting with a load of bolters. The Orks did not care though as they have weak armor, but the Nob squad could have used the AP1 goodness to wipe those smug looks of of their faces.

I am thinking I need a unit that can mix it up some in CC so I think I will be taking a Cannoness with a unit of Celestians kitted for CC. By this I mean she has the Blessed weapon, the VSS has a Power weapon and the regular sisters have melta, heavy flamer loadout to allow for some CC punch. ST 3 hurts this but with the act of faith that allows for +2 ST and the Inv save act I should be able to wait it out then get some swings in for some deaths on the other side.

I figure that I will be going to the 1850 level this time so I was thinking something along these lines.
Cannoness
Book cloak, Mantle Jump pack litanies meltas Evi, was thinking of taking an Inferno pistl but she is pricey already and I am not sure it will be that big of a help. Also might drop the melta bombs but they are handy at times.

Cannoness
Book cloak, litanies, Blessed weapon, Bolt pistol
8 Celestians with Melta heavy flamer
VSS with Book Power weapon , bolt pistol
rhino EA smoke, Holy icon. I realize that the icon seems to be pricey but it is very helpful to get the extra LD point and I only lost 1 in 2 games as I have loads of sisters that tend to draw fire

Troops 4 units

2 Squads of 10 sisters in rhino
melta, heavy flamer
VSS with Bolter meltas, BoSL
Rhino has smoke armor and Holy icon

2 Squads of 15 Sisters with
melta heavy flamer
VSS with Bolt pistol, Evi BoSl. These help with getting tied up by things like Kans and Dread. Allows for some Armor busting potential in the larger squads. I like the 15 lady squads just feels right to me.

Fast Attack 1 unit
8 Seraphim including 2 hand flamers and VSS with Evi and BoSL

Heavy 1 Unit
8 retributors with
4 Heavy Bolter
Vss with BoSL bolter

Comes to 1842 and gives me 11 faith points plus 81 models.

Gub

·
Registered
123 Posts
I dont know about the squads of 15 footslogging it? I've found that sisters especially need a nice safe box to ride around in.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that the mech sisters lists are nice but I have found, though this is just in a couple of games, that the large units tend to stand up to punishment pretty well. The 3+ save coupled with the fact that I have Seraphim and JP cannoness plus 2 squads in rhinos pushing forward tends to allow them to push forward unmolested. They are great for holding objectives and can lay down some fire as they advance or just run and grab things if needed.

initially I wanted all squads in rhinos as well but after running them half and half I like the large foot squads. Could be the ork in me but who knows.

Gub

·
Registered
123 Posts
Fair enough.

I've just found it easier with rhinos to get into the sister sweet spot (12 or less inches) where and when I want to.

I think foot sloggers have their place I would just worry about running into a guard or drop pod army.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I do fear the guard pieplate o doom or just gun line approach as well as drop pods taking a heavy toll on my beloved sisters. of course my opinions are based on a staggering 2 games played so I might end up changing my mind after some more games are played. I intend to take the sisters back out in a few weeks and will see what they can do with the above mentioned changes made.

Thanks for the input.

Gub

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Divine Guidance(the AoF that turns a 6 to wound into AP1) very much relies on weight of numbers. Roughly 1 in 6 hits will be turned into an AP1 wound (though you'll often feel the dice are against you), so don't bother using it unless you just caused a lot of hits or feel very lucky. You make the test after you know how many hits you get, so this is relatively easy :) Large squads and Rapid Fire is key. Ignoring the Melta for a moment, in RF range your 15 Sister squad pumps out 25 S4 shots and an S5 template, which at BS4 means you can expect about 17 S4 hits (and hopefully a couple S5 ones) which means Divine Guidance should result in about three 6s to Wound. It's best used against smaller squads of expensive units, and it's a good way to make sure the few wounds you get on high-Toughness enemies COUNT when you run out of options (for instance, a Carnifex that's about to use your squad for a chew toy. And yes, it's still much preferable to off the thing with an Exorcist at safe distance).

Okay, comments on army...
First Canoness, if you intend to run her alone a Rosarius might be a good idea... admittedly, at that point you might as well go with Celestine instead as she's getting uncomfortably close. If she's supposed to be flying with the Seraphim, she should probably break off at some point so the Seraphim can utilize their Hit and Run.

Second Canoness, the Holy Icon on the Rhino is a waste of points if it sticks with her. Mostly because it increases LD to a maximum of 10 and the Canoness already HAS that. For the same reason(Canoness has Ld10, and a book), you could shave the Book off the Retinue's VSS... unless you plan on martyring the Canoness, but I think she's too expensive for that as she currently is :)

For the Celestians, I'd advise AGAINST using Hand of the Emperor (the AoF with +2S) a lot of the time, actually... Note the Celestians have I4, which will often have you going first, and it combines nicely with their Holy Hatred rule to cause a lot of early hits. Unless you're assaulting something that won't really fight back/cause a lot of casualties, trading it for Initiative 1 (and going last) will likely hurt you more than him. Whether the +2S is worth the casualties does somewhat depend on the enemies' Initiative, Toughness and Saves, admittedly, but losing (the attacks of) a couple Sisters means you're causing less Hits and likely to cause less Wounds in the end. Not to mention you'll RECEIVE less if you manage to knock off a couple of them first.

Given that you're expecting these to get into CC, give the Meltagun to another squad and pick up another Flamer or a Storm Bolter. Perhaps get Frags and/or add a Sacred Standard as well?

Skipping to the Seraphim, have you considered the idea of dropping the Eviscerator and giving all these ladies some nice Melta Bombs to play with? Given the sheer amount of shots and CC attacks they give you(and the bit where the VSS suddenly contributes more to those), I really don't think you'll miss the two Evicerator attacks THAT much...

·
Grey Knight Converter
2,169 Posts
Skipping to the Seraphim, have you considered the idea of dropping the Eviscerator and giving all these ladies some nice Melta Bombs to play with? Given the sheer amount of shots and CC attacks they give you(and the bit where the VSS suddenly contributes more to those), I really don't think you'll miss the two Evicerator attacks THAT much...
I think this is a bad idea. Seraphim are meant great vehicle killers, there are too many if and buts with not having an eviserator. Vehicle moves flat out, you need 6's, dreadnoughts...need 6's. Monsterous creatures meltabombs don't work. The eviserator makes sure you have a good chance of hitting with some decency I would not give it up. In my army, this squad caries both meltabombs and eviserators.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Yes, having both is preferable, but if you have to make the choice... I'll give you the MC (though things have to be pretty dire if you decide to ASSAULT one, most of the time). However, while you'd need a 6 against a fastmoving vehicle or a walker, you've got 8 chances to get one. Trust in the Emperor :grin:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input on the Celestians. I think I will change them up some to get the loadout you suggest. As for the evi on the Seraphim I think I will stick with it and look at tweaking the points some to add the meltas. The evi came in very handy this past weekend dealing with some Killa Kan Goodness, allowing me to throw the wound he did onto the squad, which had the added benefit of being INV saves, and then wreck the kan when she got to swing.

Gub

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok then I think i need some CC punch in the list. Add to this the fact that I just happen to have 12 GKTs and I think I have the solution to my problem.

I am thinking that I will add a unit of 6 Termies to the list with 2 Thunder Hammers and a Psycannon for some added punch. I will drop the retributors at the 1500 and 1 Foot slogging sister squad but still have a healthy Foot troop led by a Cannoness as well as 2 Squads in Rhinos and the JP Cannoness and 8 Seraphim. Gives me an excuse to run some Terminators and should be a nasty surprise for those that doubt the power of the Emperor's might.

Gub

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Indeed. The Emperor gave us flamers in many sizes to AVOID that :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts