Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I played a tau player with 15 piranahs with 30 seeker missles. he also took 9 broad sides with kroot surronding them so they cant get assaulted. i still 1 but those piranahs were nasty they had disruption pods so they got cover saves from my blast masters and lascannons. and they had the tracking thing so he could target seperate targets he killed 4 rhinos and imobilized 1 and weapon destroyed 3 of them. i still won the game becaue eventually he ran out of seeker missles and got to close for his own good to my lascannons and blast masters they droped like flys without their cover saves. he was with in 12. oh and im very disapointed with broad sides i thought they were better. but yea 15 piranahs that was the coolest thing i ever saw and i think he would rape the shit out of orc and nids and IG with that list.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think he had marker lights but i dont think he targeted all of the rhinos with them just a couple. so maybe he pulled a fast one on me. i also know he is a relativley new player, so maybe he just didnt know.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
sorry meant target lock though i still take tarrgeting array

. to allow a vehicle to fire one seeker missile at the marked unit. the shooting is resolved normally in all regards at an assumed ballistic skill of 5.
pg.29 tau codex marker light

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
wow a new player and he has 15piranahs!! Thats the sort of size you would be scared to see in apocalypse games or Spearhead let alone normal games. He would have pulled a fast one unfortunatly as from what i can tell he only had 15 piranahs, 9 Broadsides, a few Kroot and the compsalry Fire warriors and commander. Only 1 of them can take makerlights...the firs warriors and even then they can only take 1. Also Broadsides are infantry...they are hiding behind Kroots so now the kroots are in the way of his own shots and you get cover saves.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
intresting, just goes to show you had bad Tau are the guy cheated and couldnt even beat me...lol still though 15 piranahs, that was amazing looking. i really like piranahs. yea he has been playing for like a month or 2. he works for intell and he is single. so the money doesnt surprise me. but yea the tau look great he has them painted silvery chrome with red underlay. he painted them up like the forge world tau tetra if you search it on google its the first to pop up on images. but yea well i didnt know broad sides were infantry they look like dumb ass robots to me. hey but he is the first Tau player ive played that dosent spam crisis suits. wish he would have i would have beaten him faster. but this just leaves the question? are could taking 15 piranahs with seeker missles work as a alpha strike list.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Its not really viable outside of apoc as you don't have enough markerlights to put all those missiles to use, plus that cost way too many points,

30 shots, then hes effectivly lost the game as theres not alot left in his army to kill the survivors

in apoc say good bye to all your superheavies and tank companiies, especially if the tau take the makerlight strategic asset.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
i have seen a deadly Tau Spearhead army of 2500pts. It contains 6 Hammerheads(3 with Stealth), 15 piranahs with Fusion blasters deepstiking and a pile of outflanking kroot with S7 Grenades!
It's pritty scary

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
i have seen a deadly Tau Spearhead army of 2500pts. It contains 6 Hammerheads(3 with Stealth), 15 piranahs with Fusion blasters deepstiking and a pile of outflanking kroot with S7 Grenades!
It's pritty scary
That sounds quite scary...

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
3+ cover saves on hammerheads always are with the small possiblity of a 2+ cover save. Trust me if my mate and anywhere near that amount of modals i would probbly be dead. (Then again my Blood Angles Spearhead has 3 outflanking Landraiders full of Death company)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Myself I've always gone suit spam, but that's because I can't do piranha spam with farsight and I get bored with vehicles too easily.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Myself I've always gone suit spam, but that's because I can't do piranha spam with farsight and I get bored with vehicles too easily.
suit spamming is sp easy to kill of though, a lot of the time they sacrifice 2 weapons in wargear to take the 4+ invul save, which is chil but what you have left is 1 to 2 shots a turn with them. the piranah list had like 5 shots each with fussion blasters so it was 25 shots a squad at BS4 S5 ap5

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
intresting, just goes to show you had bad Tau are the guy cheated and couldnt even beat me...lol still though 15 piranahs, that was amazing looking.
Err, when playing against someone that's been into the game for two months, doesn't know the rules for his army and is taking one of the least efficient lists possible I'd be hesitant to make a judgment about the army as a whole. Please, for your own sake, do not underestimate the Tau. They have one of the better books in the entire game right now but it happens to be extremely limited in that there are only a few good units.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Err, when playing against someone that's been into the game for two months, doesn't know the rules for his army and is taking one of the least efficient lists possible I'd be hesitant to make a judgment about the army as a whole. Please, for your own sake, do not underestimate the Tau. They have one of the better books in the entire game right now but it happens to be extremely limited in that there are only a few good units.
alright, but i have yet to play a tau player who even challenged me a little bit. the closest game ive ever lost too tau was with a experimental Black Templar list with a lascannon spam list, but yea i still won that game by 200 points. every other game when i was runnning my Chaos army i have army killed tau by the 4th turn or sometimes 5th. i know what people all say is that i just havent played a good player but ive seen a lot of list, ive killed crisis suit spaming no problem ive killed broad side kroot spam ive just about fought them all. lash is the one thing Tau cant handle thats why its easy to defeat Tau. but yea i will agree until i play a decent Tau player i will just have to stick with my oppinion. but i understand Drake i cant base my oppinion of a whole army because i have only played 6 to 7 Tau players. but a couple of the guys have the money just not the skill i guess, even though i consider one of them to be the best i have seen.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
By the way did you forget about the Blood Angels, Spacewolves, and lets not forget the Cheesiest codex of them all the Imperial Guard, ofcourse IG needed the better codex they have been bitched slapped around for a long time. by the way i highly doubt Tau have one of the better codexes of the game because how often do you see Tau winning Ardd Boys tourneys and what not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can proudly say that I never lost to Tau army. That most likely has to do with the caliber of players though, I am getting ready to go to a GW event soon at the battle bunker here in Texas. I'm gonna get killed lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts