Votes: 28 43.8%
  • Belong in the rubbish

Votes: 3 4.7%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a dicussion at my local today we wondered if Plasma guns where worth the points. Now i'm mainly discussing normal marine plasma ande not Tau plasma as tho weaker don't get hot and thus less of a risk. Do you find them worth it?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I use them on my SM command squads, and I love it. 4 in a squad on bikes can be nasty. Yea I know the models at that point are expensive, but feel no pain is a great backup if I fail a save. Its worth the risk to me because they can wreck many more things, and at range (relentless on bikes, move and still have a 24" firing distance).

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I'm happy to arm my traitor guard with them but then they're the scum of the earth and life is cheap when your a traitor.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like plasma. More because it's an exotic weapon, even in the 41st millenium... but it's also a badass one. Plasma cannons always find a home in my dev squads (combat squad 2 plasma cannon, 2 lascannon), because nothing else works on heavy infantry like Str7 Ap2 Heavy 1 Blast. My tactial squads usually get one squad with a flamer, one with a melta and one with a plasma gun. I tend to compliment with redundancy, so the PG gets a PC, the MG gets a MM, the F gets a HB. If I take razorbacks, they likewise compliment the squad's purpose (lascannon for anti-tank, twin-asscan for anti-heavy infantry, twin HB for anti-horde).

I also tend to take more plasma in my assault squads (plasma pistols trump flamers, for me), and my veterans (meltaguns and plasma guns both are worth having, so I tend to have both).

I generally like things that are capable of taking out a lot of enemy units, or are able to do harm to most anything (str7 can be used against av13 or less, and even monstrous creatures will be wounded on a 4+)...

Then again, I like vindicators despite their low survivability, so perhaps you shouldn't ask me =P

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Plasma guns are not worth it on infentry, at least not GH. Melta is far cheaper and can do much more damage. Plasma cannons are to expensive when I can take a ml for much less.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i use them on units that have the save to back them up, so 4+ for me minimum.

it can be alot of points to sink into a weapon that could fry the model.

however if i do use any plasma, its got to be as much as the squad can hold :D

1 pistol
1 gun
1 cannon

thats how i roll my tac sqads if they have plasma in :D

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Well, Eldar plas sure as hell isn't worth it.
Tau Plas is your only source of ap2, and on the Imperium... yeah, that there's some fairly sexy stuff. Hell, think about the sexiness that is lasplas rhinos! Or PMs that you don't need to shoot at vehicles with! Or, like, vets or something!

·
Registered
390 Posts
Plasma FTW!:grin:
I even play a chaos dread with a plasma cannon:p
But i'm a chaos player so as long as something's dieing im happy:p

·
Registered
733 Posts
I use plasma weaponry quite often with my IG, although I only give them to units with BS4. If I'm burning enough points to buy three more guardsmen on a weapon that might backfire, I want to be able to hit with it!

Of course, backfiring isn't a problem for my 5-plasma-blast executioner...

·
Pally-HO!!!!
1,417 Posts
I love plasma like a fat kid loves cake. It's the reason I started playing Dark Angels back in the day and I give to any model that can have it.

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Hate plasma. Hate it. Reason being that I'm actually struggling to remember a time since 3rd edition that I've had a model with a plasma weapon not kill itself the first time it fired. My Iron Warriors would take two of them per squad, and I'd usually get three overheats (since in those days 1's or 2's would overheat when rapid-firing).

Nowadays it's easy to not take plasma weapons because the Blood Angel Codex gives you melta goodies for nice and cheap instead. For the same number of points as a plasma pistol I can take an infernus pistol which is quite capable of destroying anything up to and including a Land Raider with a single shot and it doesn't kill me!

The only plasma weapons that are worth it are the ones that are on vehicles since at least they don't overheat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts