Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too sure where this belongs, but I thought that this was the best place.

Basically, my question is at what point size army should plasma/melta weapons be bought. Specifically for IG vet squads. I know that at the 1500+ range alot of melta is needed due to the number of heavy vehicles, but at the lower points games which is better? Such as in 500 pt games are there enough vehicles to make melta worth it, or is plasma a better bet at that level?

Basically in an all comers situation which weapon is better suited to the general meta environment at different sized armies?

I know what I want to eventually get my IG army to look like at 2k pts, but I really don't know what road is best to take to get there.

Thanks for your input.

·
4,491 Posts
Depends what else is in the army.

If you dont have a lot of other low-AP weaponry, then going with 2 Melta units for every 1 Plasma works ok.
But if your being backed up by something like an Executioner with Plasma sponsons (5 Plasma Cannons FTW), then running just MeltaVets rather than PlasmaVets can be justified.

If you know your going to be up against Termies, MC's, etc, then pack in the Plasma.
If you know your going to be up against vehicles, then pack in the Melta.

Having at least 1 unit of MeltaVets or PlasmaVets in a Chimera for every 500-ish points (or 750-ish points if they are in a Vendetta/Valk) is usually a good investment.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
KoC covered the topic well so no need to repeat it, except that it really does depend on what Enemies you face. I face tons of Marines/Mech lists so I always take some Plasma, usually a 2:1 ratio in favour of Melta.

Another reason I like having a mix of both Melta and Plasma is because if you take all-Melta the opponent can learn to counter it easily enough, but having some Plasma as well lets you vary your Tactics because of the extra RoF/range, so overall you're putting the opponent under more pressure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.

Would you consider melta needed in a 500 pt game? (or would plasma be able to handle everything that you see at this level?)

·
Registered
363 Posts
Melta has some inherent advantages over plasma when firing at non vehicles;

A) Does not get hot - so no losing your own guys
B) Str 8 doubles out an awful lot more things than Str 7
C) It's cheaper

however it is also shorter ranged and you get less shots.

I'm a big fan of the plasma taxi CCS (4 plasma rifles in a chimera) as a trouble shooting unit whilst having meltas scattered through my other squads.

At 500 points someone always brings a Land Raider/ Leman Russ / vindicator for exactly the reason you don't want much melta because 'no one brings heavy mech in 500pts'.

·
4,491 Posts
Thanks for the quick responses.

Would you consider melta needed in a 500 pt game? (or would plasma be able to handle everything that you see at this level?)
Id throw in a unit of MeltaVets in a Chimera, or else a Vendetta with something like a Flamer-equipped SWS to outflank with Lascannons.

Autocannon HWT's and things like Hydras can take care of vehicles that commonly appear in 500 points (such as Rhino's, Trukks, etc), however if the opponent decided to squeeze in something like a Land Raider or Battlewagon it is nice to have a unit that can threaten it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks everyone, you all helped me sort that out a bit, so melta is a good idea at any points level, just in moderation at smaller games :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts