Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing lists with the command squad outfitted with 3 plasmas and a medic. Im not saying it dosent work im just not sure why people dont take 4 plasmas and drop the medic. Im new to 5th ed, so please correct me if im wrong(thats kinda the point of this thread cause im still trying to make sure i understand everything right). The medic provides the unit with feel no pain rule, and that allows you to atempt a (for lack of a better term) 2nd save of 4+ on previously unsaved wounds if the wound dosent double the toughness off the unit, or have an ap of 1 or 2. SO basically u get the feel no pain if you arent suffering an istant kill wound. Which is why im confused, cause im reading that people do 3 plasmas and a medic to use the feel no pain to help protect them from the get hot rule on the plasma, but since the plasmas str. doubles the toughness wouldnt it negate the feel no pain ability? Feel no pain is sweet on plaugebearers cause their toughness is 5 so its rare to find them in a sit. that negates their ability to feel no pain, but on models with toughness 3 it just seems like a waste compared to the option of getting a possible 3 extra plasma shots.

So please correct me if im wrong, so i can feild a proper squad. And if im not wrong, please inform me as why people still feild this squad opposed to 4 plasmas and no medic. Im very curios as to how this works.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
The "Get's Hot!" rule doesn't have a strength. It's not the guy getting shot by the weapon, it's the guy getting burnt by an overheating gun. As such, the wound it causes does not cause Instant Death, but just a normal, every day wound, against which FNP can be taken.

So, the medic will halve that chance of a Gets Hot! roll killing your guys, and reduce damage from other sources too - they are very worth it. It also protects them somewhat if their chimera explodes, which is handy.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
So please correct me if im wrong, so i can feild a proper squad. And if im not wrong, please inform me as why people still feild this squad opposed to 4 plasmas and no medic. Im very curios as to how this works.
What do you mean by 'proper squad'..they're both proper squads. Some take the Medic over the 4th Plasma so the squad stays around longer, plus if the CCS has Advisors the cost of the Medic is spread further (over more bodies).

I've actually stopped taking the Medic because I've being killing extra enemy models with the additional shots, and using the spare points on more weapons elsewhere.

...but both CCS builds work. I would never waste the ponts for a Medic in anything but CCS's though.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Cool, thanks for clearing that up for me. So if thats true, then do u get a save and the fnp?
Just as Flame says, yes you do get a save and FNP. As it says on P31, "normal saves apply".

:)

·
CO 3rd Thoth ACR
486 Posts
So... there were several question and answers on this tread that got lost in the server upgrade (including it's move to the rules forum). I thought I'd rehash what I remember.

GETS HOT!

1) If you rapid fire a Plasma gun and you roll a 1 and a hit you still get the hit but also need to make a save (& FNP if you have it and fail the save. If you roll 2 1s you have to make 2 saves.

2) even if the weapon "Gets Hot" as long as the gunner stays alive he can continue to fire.

Orders & Plasma Guns

Someone seem to think you could use orders to somehow get 3 shots from a Plasma gun. I can only assume they were talking about using "1st Rank Fire 2nd Rank Fire" . That doesn't work because FRFSRF only works with Lasguns. If you want you plasma guns to work better you better off going with "Bring It Down" which allows you to re-roll misses (which includes 1s).

Hope that helps. (& this gets moved back to Rules where it belongs)

·
I Piss in your Cheerios
7,370 Posts
I'd just like to add that, as an HQ, a CCS is truly a suicide unit, and that the Medics are undoubtedly, in some cases, not necessarily the majority, people feeling emotional attachments to their Commanders, and unwilling to see them sacrificed upon the anvil of war.

Personally, I much prefer the idea of using Plasma only on a single Vet squad, and using the CCSes, along with PCSes, as first strike suicides.

YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts