Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey! i was at the local GW other day, saw some stuff on Planet Strike. i researched best i could... no results explaining the basics on how to play. little help?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
hey! i was at the local GW other day, saw some stuff on Planet Strike. i researched best i could... no results explaining the basics on how to play. little help?
Planet strike is an expansion of 40k, essentially it's a set of missions with special rules, which you can use instead of a normal 40k game. You need the Planet strike rulebook to get them all.

It's meant to represent the invasion of a planet, having one player as the deepstriking attacker, and the other player as the defender. Each player gets various bonuses (eg. defender gets bunkers and defensive emplacements, attacker gets bombardments, and can have certain units assault after deepstrike), and each side can take various "stratagems" which have various zany effects.

It's a good idea, but a lot of people don't like it because the various zany effects and special rules can make the game a bit unbalanced, and sometimes very random. See if you can find the book next time you're in your FLGS, and check it out.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
It's great for fun or campaign games, and gives some otherwise pointless units actual use in the game (like Pyrovores, for example).
But for 'proper' or competitive gaming, or if you just want a balanced game rather than a fun one, you're better off with the standard missions.

Main reason I like it is the modelling opportunities, making buildings that make sense for Tyranids to defend!

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
It's great for fun or campaign games, and gives some otherwise pointless units actual use in the game (like Pyrovores, for example).
But for 'proper' or competitive gaming, or if you just want a balanced game rather than a fun one, you're better off with the standard missions.

Main reason I like it is the modelling opportunities, making buildings that make sense for Tyranids to defend!
Falic capillaries then :p

·
Registered
125 Posts
its a blast! seems to be the expansion of them month around my local.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Define: Planetstrike (Pronounced IIIiiiiinnnnnncominngggg!!)

large amounts of heavy support defend the table while shit loads of fast stuff drops out of the sky to kick it's ass.

edit: oh, and there's bunkers... lots and lots of bunkers. Which rocks if you're an ork as you get a free waaagh every time you break one open as they celebrate there little green hearts out

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
I love planetstrike. It always is fun since normally the winner is somebody with something left on the table as opposed to nothing. Some of the combinations are well fun too!

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I have the rulebook, but still haven't played it :(
me too :( but it doesn't look that great to me anyway...there isn't anyone in my FLGS or local GW that wants to set up a campaign or anything that involves thinking so I guess I'll just put that book on the shelf :p (although we do have a Mordheim campaign going on that is really fun)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts