Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to use Plague Marines for the first time. Having never used them can anybody clarify my understanding of the Plague Knife and Blight Grenades please?

Plague Knife wounds on a 4+. Does this mean they are suited to attacking high toughness opponents? Are they wasted attacking marines and T4 terminators? Sometimes you get to re roll wounds, so a bit like shred?

Blight Grenades- now I rarely use grenades at all so any thoughts om the attack and defence bonus would help me? What is the ideal scenario to have blight grenades?

·
Irn Bru 32!
1,436 Posts
I'm about to use Plague Marines for the first time. Having never used them can anybody clarify my understanding of the Plague Knife and Blight Grenades please?

Plague Knife wounds on a 4+. Does this mean they are suited to attacking high toughness opponents? Are they wasted attacking marines and T4 terminators? Sometimes you get to re roll wounds, so a bit like shred?

Blight Grenades- now I rarely use grenades at all so any thoughts om the attack and defence bonus would help me? What is the ideal scenario to have blight grenades?
Blight grenades are defence grenades so I think they do something if someone is assaulting you.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
yes you can, but you already have 4+ wounding knives..so...they are just there to negate the bonus charge attack to the enemy and to give shrouded vs 8" fire

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Neferhet. If I was attacking a mc with T6 or even T8. Would I still wound on a 4+? And what about models with an armour value?

In this game I am also including 4 blobs of 5 NM with sonic and blastmasters :)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cheers Neferhet. If I was attacking a mc with T6 or even T8. Would I still wound on a 4+? And what about models with an armour value?

In this game I am also including 4 blobs of 5 NM with sonic and blastmasters :)
Correct. Poisoned 4+ means you always wound a model no matter the toughness value on a roll of 4+. Against things with an armor value they have no effect.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
The other nice thing about poisoned weapons is if you would normally wound said opponent on the stated roll or better (in this case a 4+ or lower) without the poisoned rule, you get to re-roll your 'To Wound' rolls.

So against anything T4 or lower, Plague Marines get re-rolls to wound in combat.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The other nice thing about poisoned weapons is if you would normally wound said opponent on the stated roll or better (in this case a 4+ or lower) without the poisoned rule, you get to re-roll your 'To Wound' rolls.

So against anything T4 or lower, Plague Marines get re-rolls to wound in combat.
Ouch...... Thats nasty, where does it state this? in the codex? or the BRB?

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Thats why i love deldar splinter rifles.
Splinter Rifles are either SX or S1 as far as I recall. Either way they wouldn't get rerolls against things like Marines.

Blight grenades are defence grenades so I think they do something if someone is assaulting you.
Defensive Grenades also give Shrouded from enemies within 8" IIRC. Might want to double check the rulebook on that in case I'm wrong though.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Defensive Grenades also give Shrouded from enemies within 8" IIRC. Might want to double check the rulebook on that in case I'm wrong though.
Stealth, actually. Meaning they're actually useful on units that already have Shrouded, like Plaguebearers (who get defensive grenades from their Daemon of Nurgle rule).

Plague Knives have been covered, but one point is that they don't do "nothing" against vehicles--they just have no extra effect. A S4 Plague Marine rolls D6+4 per attack for armor penetration as normal, so can still glance the rear armor 10 on a lot of vehicles, or might swap out its attacks for a single S6 krak grenade. A minor thing to point out, but with the degree of granularity and explanation we're going to here, I figure it's important to point out.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Splinter Rifles are either SX or S1 as far as I recall. Either way they wouldn't get rerolls against things like Marines.
That, and the poison rerolls thing is only for Melee, doesn't effect ranged. So you cant just biomancy someone down to T1 and get rerolls or whatever.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i just wanted to say i run 3x 7man plague marine squads in my army each with 2 plasma and a combie wep sarg and they are the sh!t they crush everything

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers for all the input guys. I never did try the plagues marines, instead opted for 4 bunches of 5 noise marines. I will use the plague marines very soon though.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If you use Plague Marines in 7th, it's worth noting that Defensive Grenades no longer give you Stealth within 8" of the unit shooting at you - they still negate the attacks bonus for charging, but they may now be thrown as a 8" range, Str1 AP- Blast with the Blind special rule. This can be really nice for softening up a low-initiative target such as Ork Boyz before you charge (if you Blind a squad of Ork Boyz and then you charge them rather than vice versa, they need 5s to hit and 6s to wound!).

It's also important that if your strength is equal to your opponent's toughness, you don't get to re-roll your To Wound dice for Poison - only if your Strength is higher. This is a pretty major hit to Genestealers and the like who were using Poison to give themselves Shred against T4 targets, but that's the way it is now I'm afraid.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts