Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think it's high time for another stupid question.

I'd like to drive a Wave Serpent up to a tactical squad ('whooping and hollering', as befits any eldar unit), then on the next turn pivot round and unload a million howling banshees (8 will do for now), who will descend upon the tactical squad. Will this not now leave my Wave Serpent with its rear armour exposed, for any grunt to glance it? When exactly can I pivot, and how many times can I pivot per turn? Can I unload the squad and then pivot back? Am I making too much of the whole 'pivot' thing. I have it in my head that I read somehere that pivoting does not count as moving, so I suppose it can pivot at any point in the movement turn, for free?

Also, would Breath of Chaos ignore the cover save conferred upon my Wave Serpent because it moved fast?

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
You can only pivot vehicles in the movement phase as part of their movement. When you disembark a unit you've stopped moving the vehicle so you cannot go back and start moving it again. So basically yes you will leave your ass exposed to the elements.

Aramoro

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Ok, for the situation you describe first of all, if the vehicle moves at all (even pivoting) before hand, your disembarking banshees couldn't move or assault afterwards. It mentions pivoting under the disembarking rules on P67. So either you'd have to have your rear armour exposed for a whole turn before they could get out and assault, or you could just run them around the vehicle, and hope you had enough movement.

Now, for the rest of the time, it works like this - you move one unit, finish moving it, and then you move another unit. So, if you were dropping off someone you wanted to shoot with (dire avengers for instance), you could drive up in the serpent, pivot round and then you would have to stop, leaving your rear armour exposed, before you started moving the next unit (the avengers in this case). So you can't move a vehicle, have a unit disembark from it and then move it again, even if only to pivot it.

Hope that helps somewhat :)

·
Super Moderator
5,719 Posts
Max and Aramoro have the vehicle/pivot thing wrapped up.

As far as Breath of Chaos is concerned, it operates as a Template weapon which ignores cover saves, which is what a {i]Flat Out[i /i] move gives you. So no save is allowed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts