Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im a huge fan of pirates .. ok im obssessed, they are just too cool. So as part of a little event on Chest of Colors forum, i joined in the Tale of ? Gamers and started up a little project to do whilst i finish other armies.

When maxmini released the ork pirate heads i instantly knew i wanted some ork pirates, but what for? I had been thinking about getting a proper necromunda gang painted up and useable with my friends when i game once a year, so i figured i'd have some pirate orks as goliaths which fit quite nicely.

So i wanted a fair sized gang but with decent opportunities to do some quality painting.

So i combined some Ork Nobz and the maxmini heads, i got a couple of the minis i really liked aswell or ones that i thought would fit well with the crew.

I've started on the first guy and im very happy with the progress atm. :D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Great theme, awesome models and exceptional painting. Big fan of piratey goodness :)

Have you thought about picking up an airfix galleon for a display base?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the rep and nice comment Varakir, i have been contemplating doing a display base like that and possibly use it at gamesday, but will see when i finish these guys first :) but im not sure airfix stuff is big enough to fit these models. Might be more orkey if i scratchbuild something, i have plenty of wooden ice cream sticks :D

So here is my first completed ork :D they are very fun to paint. Got a couple of other things to paint and then onto the next guy. I should find a suitable name for him too, since this is a pirate crew.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For some reason i missed the chain on his back, and so i painted it up last night. Here are some pics of the model with painted chain lol , i tried to brighten up the squig a little but my blood red is unusable so i ended up using the base colour red with bleach bone highlights and then glazing over with red again to bring it back in.

And here is the status picture for the whole gang :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Really cool stuff Moo, are you planning on making a whole army with pirate themed vehicles and such or are ya gonna leave it with this awesome bunch? :) Can't wait to see them painted cause you sure paint them crisp clean and with a great color scheme. Also nice touch on the Bases, they finnish the whole theme imo.

And yea i too find a spot i forget to paint every once in a while hehe, sometimes just days later when i pick them up again and see them at an angle i never saw them before ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the rep and kind words all. I don't think i'll do a whole army like this as it's only meant to be a small project which i use to break up my army painting and keep me motivated. Plus my friends all have necromunda gangs and i wanted one to use to play with. I might do a couple of vehicles so i can double them up in use in gorka morka, but for now it's just a small necromunda gang.

2nd guy started :) not sure how long he'll take me but im enjoying this project alot.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well i managed to finish his main torso and belt etc, then i started work on his arm. Im not 100% happy with the gold nmm on the arm but im still working on it to clean it up and it to how i want it to look. I think i have a bit too much midtone and highlights on it, i need to bring the colour back down with a few dark glazes. Still it's getting there.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Munky ! Didn't get alot done last night, managed to do most of the harpoon arm (except the harpoon) and his shoulder pads so now his body is finished. Might work on the axe and the hat tonight after finishing the harpoon. Im happy how he is progressing along, these are really nice models to paint.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts