Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
It's possible to use heat instead, i've done it before where i've heated up a paperclip untill it is nearly white hot on my hob and then using pliars and ovenmits melted a hole for pinning in the target model. Problem with this is that you risk burning yourself and it tends to leave melted pewter around the entrance hole.

Please note i accept no responsibility to injuries caused by using this technique and do not recommend using it if you can help it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's possible to use heat instead, i've done it before where i've heated up a paperclip untill it is nearly white hot on my hob and then using pliars and ovenmits melted a hole for pinning in the target model. Problem with this is that you risk burning yourself and it tends to leave melted pewter around the entrance hole.

Please note i accept no responsibility to injuries caused by using this technique and do not recommend using it if you can help it.
Yeah, this would lead to an injury claim :p

Well at least it's an alternative :)

·
Searching for Vulkan
2,755 Posts
10 or so quid is better than fusing your fingers together because you melted a paper clip... just be smart and either wait to get a drill, or buy one... man.... melting a paper clip...

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
10 or so quid is better than fusing your fingers together because you melted a paper clip... just be smart and either wait to get a drill, or buy one... man.... melting a paper clip...
i didn't actiually melt the paperclip :) Just got it hot enough so that it would melt pewter...
and besides i only burnt three fingers...totally worth it :so_happy::wink:

·
Registered
365 Posts
If you can't afford a pin vise then you're really off to a bad start for this hobby :wink:

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Good link LTP and a very good price. I have always found getting replacement drill bits the biggest pain.

If you intend to do pinning the safest way by far is to use a pinvice and for around £10 is a bargain compared to teh cost of other hobby related equipment.

·
Registered
836 Posts

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts