Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Featuring a bastardised Blact Templar colour scheme, these babies are my own creation. I didn't want to copy a pre-existing chapter and so devised my own. They are non-codex and were founded just prior to the Black Templars - thus they have yellow to show parentage to the Imperial Fists (Actually that's what colours I originally had but I kind of like it and have managed to shoe-horn it in:so_happy:).

I did these babies to have a go at a spot of blue for when I finish off my Nobz (see signature). I'm rather happy with how it turned out. They aren't painted horrendously well, but are enough for me at least and when viewed from the other side of a table.

Pics:

And now for the Plasma glow. The conversion is simple enough. A pair of biker arms and two plasma ptls. Sor'ed. They represent master crafted and I thought 'How better to represent a re-roll than have two guns?'

C&C welcome.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I like the colour scheme, and whilst i can't honestly say i like the gangsta plasma pistols, you've pulled it off nicely :eek:k:

Painting wise, the black armour looks really unfinished without highlights. An hour or so with some codex grey would do wonders :)

The yellow also looks a little flushed out, i'd suggest using the fountain yellow as an undercoat and maybe a couple more layers to pop it properly.

The squad shot looks sweet, and with a little bit more work could look very striking.

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
i Would have to agree with Varakir on this, they look good, but with a little more time and effort they could really look good, although the white looks rather straight, witch is a good thing, cause white is a bastard to paint.

but yea, as varakir was saying some highlights would not be out of place, and maybe a more solid yellow would look better,

after all, practice and exploration makes a wonderful miniature

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Wow.... gets hot rule would make him its bitch.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Majority of people here do agree on the points that:

- Needs some grey highlights
- The yellow could use a little top up

May I suggest something for all bits metallic? Work up on it with another coat of Boltgun Metal, wash it with Badab Black and highlight with either Chainmail or Mithril Silver. Definitely wash the areas that feature tubes or recesses to give that shadow and deep metal feel.

No offence, but being a guy who's Tau Empire army is completely metal colour based, it hurts my eyes to see metal done in that way. Just take the steps and you'll be on your way to having really attractive metal areas.

Use this on top with the highlights for the black armour and you'll have a stunning Space Marine squad!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers guys for your comments. I'll heed your comments and think about doing something about the yellow for sure. Then the metal and finally highlighting the black areas.

@Shas'O - do you reckon badab black followed by a highlight of chainmail would work?
@Varakir - I think I'll highlight with a 50:50 mix of codex and chaos black. I'm not a fan of highlighted armour but I thoroughly see your point.

If anyone else has any suggestions or links to work they have done to show off any techniques you have used in the past you are more than welcome to post them in here. I'm off to the tutorial section when I get these guys back out of the foam.

Cheers guys!

·
For Da Boss
2,156 Posts
if your going for a simple highlighting effect you could try a light drybrus of said mix, saves time and does work good, but its hard to pull off right.

im not a fan of having black amour and the having this ridiculous bright line on it, it kinda needs to blend a little.

badab black as is would be sufficient on the boltgun, its just the fact that the black in the shaded areas is rather blotchy, and makes it incoherent with were the light would fall. although a drybrush would make it look that little better aswell.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
I for one like the plasma nutter. Cool. I have an inquisitor whose ccw is modelled as 44magnum pistol. Guns are good, more guns are better.

·
Registered
454 Posts
@Shas'O - do you reckon badab black followed by a highlight of chainmail would work?
Yes it will work. I use it with my army, it does wonders to give the highlight. If you feel it's not bright enough, use Mithril Silver to bring out the highlight.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
@Varakir - I think I'll highlight with a 50:50 mix of codex and chaos black. I'm not a fan of highlighted armour but I thoroughly see your point.
I've taken to mixing bleached bone with chaos black to highlight black armour now. It gives quite a nice subtle highlight if that's what your after.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guns are good, more guns are better.
This is true.

I've taken to mixing bleached bone with chaos black to highlight black armour now. It gives quite a nice subtle highlight if that's what your after.
I hadn't thought of this. I'll have to have a play around.

@Shas'O I don't have Mithril Silver unfortunately. I'll have a play with chainmail and white to see if I can make something suitable.

Well, cheers guys for the insightful comments you have made. I'll put these into effect and will try and re-post more photos at a later date. I'll try and get better photos too while I'm at it. Look out for an update maybe later early on next week.

·
Registered
454 Posts
@Shas'O I don't have Mithril Silver unfortunately. I'll have a play with chainmail and white to see if I can make something suitable.
NOOOOOOO! DON'T EVER DO THAT! In my experience it makes horrid things >_<
If you try it I'll probably issue you with a stern warning and wag my finger at you...

Then you'll be sorry...

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NOOOOOOO! DON'T EVER DO THAT! In my experience it makes horrid things >_<
If you try it I'll probably issue you with a stern warning and wag my finger at you...

Then you'll be sorry...
Oh, well I'll have to figure something else out then. I wouldn't want a stern finger wagging - I know how harsh those can be. Especially if issued with the use of square brackets or even asterisks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts